How many picks do we have in '17?

BillsGuru4

Obviously we have some compensatory picks coming our way, but right now how many picks do we have and in what rounds? I will be watching every second of our remaining games of course, but I know our season is over, knew it after the Raiders game. I just like to think about next years draft every year as soon as we are eliminated.

P.S.

This is my 100th post but I have been a member since '09 and been reading the site for many years before that. I'm celebrating my 100th by moving on from '16 season!

:thumbsup:

This team needs help at so many positions and who exactly will evaluate the draft and free agent talent to determine what positions get upgraded? If it's the same as in years past... it's another wasted season.

With FA and the draft we can cover most of our needs. But do we have the HC and QB? I am a Whaley supporter, but we need one of those epic drafts that can shape a team. Oh, and a HC and a QB. (Tyrod can be serviceable on a good, well coached team..... talks of ditching him rarely offer suggestions for better replacements.)

A huge problem has been our 3 best players missing a lot of the season. Oh, and Rex.

Looks like we get a 6th round compensatory pick in the '17 draft for losing Nigel Bradham to the Eagles.

http://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

One nugget to remember for this offseason........if the Bills decide to let Gilmore walk they will likely receive a 3rd round comp. pick in '18 if he signs a deal north of $10M per. I think this is a big part of the equation in the discussion of whether it is worth it or not to resign Gilmore. When you factor in a free 3rd round draft pick in '18 if he walks it makes me want to see the Bills let him walk. Until we find a QB I don't think any player on defense should be making big $$$. Let's take the extra pick. Robert Woods would likely give us a 4th or 5th if he leaves via FA as well. a 4th if he signs for $7M + per year, a 5th if it's in the $5.5-$7M per year range (which is prob. more likely)

So Bills will have:

#5 (from Dallas)

#6 (comp. for Bradham)

Edited by Estro

Looks like we get a 6th round compensatory pick in the '17 draft for losing Nigel Bradham to the Eagles.

One nugget to remember for this offseason........if the Bills decide to let Gilmore walk they will likely receive a 3rd round comp. pick in '18 if he signs a deal north of $10M per. I think this is a big part of the equation in the discussion of whether it is worth it or not to resign Gilmore. When you factor in a free 3rd round draft pick in '18 if he walks it makes me want to see the Bills let him walk. Until we find a QB I don't think any player on defense should be making big $$$. Let's take the extra pick. Robert Woods would likely give us a 4th or 5th if he leaves via FA as well. a 4th if he signs for $7M + per year, a 5th if it's in the $5.5-$7M per year range (which is prob. more likely)

So Bills will have:

#5 (from Dallas)

#6 (comp. for Bradham)

This is the problem the Bills have. They let good players walk and hope a draft pick will be better. This rarely works. Look at past drafts and look how letting a FA walk has ripple effects years into the future. Not looking forward to another rebuild. Doing this every 3 to 4 years has gotten old.

So Bills will have:

#5 (from Dallas)

#6 (comp. for Bradham)

The problem with letting go of Gilmore for the comp pick is that we also need to lose more guys than we pick up. I'm not sure yet how many guys we are losing to FA, but we are not filling all or holes in the draft.

We traded a 4th in '17 for Ragland I think, but do we have any accumulated from other deals?

Lol we actually gave up an extra pick to take a guy nobody wanted who has great skills for the 80s/90s. Just read where Rex says he will be elite. The bad news is that Rex also thinks his scheme is elite.

So Bills will have:

#5 (from Dallas)

#6 (comp. for Bradham)

The comp pick theory that you have for Sammy and the rest only work if we don't sign any other teams free agents that would offset that. There have been numerous years were we thought we'd be getting comp picks but we received none because the free agents we signed offset the ones we lost

This is the problem the Bills have. They let good players walk and hope a draft pick will be better. This rarely works. Look at past drafts and look how letting a FA walk has ripple effects years into the future. Not looking forward to another rebuild. Doing this every 3 to 4 years has gotten old.

the current regime of the Bills actually has not done this. They paid Dareus, Glenn, Hughes in FA instead of doing this. Which good players have they let walk? Byrd and Levitre were the wise decisions based on the money they wanted and his subsequent play. Can't think of any others.

As you know, they want to pay Gilmore and not replace him in the draft. He wants 15 mill/yr. he wants to be the highest paid corner in the league. Do you think they should give him that? It's not a question of whether they want to keep him. It's a question of whether it makes financial sense based on his value vs his demands.

It isn't just the Bills that deal with this, it's every team. Can't keep everyone. Especially when you draft well and he was a good 1st rd pick who now can demand serious jack. Some team will give him what he wants. He may not be worth that much. Whaley needs to decide whether he is or isn't to this team.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the Bills problem with the draft and free agency is they lack a strategic approach to player acquisition. They're always making short-term, tactical, moves to pick up a player or two to fill a need but don't seem to have a long-term plan to build a team out along with deciding early who to keep and who to let go via free agency. What's the plan with Gilmore? Spend more cap big chunk of cap space on another player so that 5 or 6 guys account for a lot of spending. Does this make sense?

The problem is there's always 3 or 4 glaring holes in the line up every off-season highlights this problem. Whaley does a good job on an individual basis, making some good picks, finding a guy on another team's practice squad but all these moves seem like individual moves and not part of some grand scheme. Like the Watkins trade. Great move if you a one receiver away from it all and have a QB in place but the Bills had no QB in place to deliver the ball. How could he have ever thought EJ was that guy from his college performances and work to date in the pro's?

The problem the Bills have is they have no big picture approach to building the team year in year out as there's no successful continuity of any kind.

the current regime of the Bills actually has not done this... It isn't just the Bills that deal with this, it's every team. Can't keep everyone. Especially when you draft well and he was a good 1st rd pick who now can demand serious jack. Some team will give him what he wants. He may not be worth that much. Whaley needs to decide whether he is or isn't to this team.

Very good breakdown of the situation, along with your prior post. We'll see how the season turns out, but if it keeps going south, I'd favor a "burn it to the ground" approach. Fire the coaching staff (I could go either way on GM - I tend to think Whaley's faults might not be his fault; see below), let Gilly walk, let Woods walk, don't exercise Tyrod's option, sign only guys who don't count for the comp pick formula, and trade down in the draft as much as possible - preferably for 2018 picks. The new coach comes in with an understanding that there's no pressure to win in 2017 and we do a full-on rebuild, which we haven't done since... Gailey, maybe? Ever since the no-playoff streak got long enough to be a thing, the Bills have been in "win now" mode every year, because they know they can't sell rebuilding to an already depressed fanbase. But if ever there was a time for it, it would be with new ownership.

I think the Bills problem with the draft and free agency is they lack a strategic approach to player acquisition... The problem the Bills have is they have no big picture approach to building the team year in year out as there's no successful continuity of any kind.

Great post, and I totally agree. I think Whaley is a good GM in terms of scouting/acquiring talent - both in the draft and in the pro ranks - but the organization has never seemed to have a coherent team-building vision. I don't know if that falls on Whaley, or if it's the situation many fear where Russ Brandon is dictating moves to sell tickets (Sammy trade being a prime example), or if it's something else.