If Tyrod was a UFA

DC Grid

To me you don't spend that kind of money on a guy you know doesn't have it. You spend that kind of money on a guy that you hope has it. The Texans paid Osweiler that money hoping that he had it. The Broncos let him walk instead because they knew he really didn't and I think it has proven to be correct. I know Tyrod doesn't have it and would rather spend that money on taking a chance on a guy that may have it or elsewhere. I'd rather have EJ signed at $5-10M per year for a year or two than TT for anything above that and $27M for next year? If that is picked up that would rise to a level of incompetence that I don't even think the Bills are capable of.

Edited by Mark80

I can't see Elway being a TT fan. I highly doubt he'd sign him.

I believe they were courting him the year the bills signed him but he didn't want to go somewhere he didn't have a shot at starting.

I bet he would do fantastically with that roster and coaching staff.

The schemes are completely different but philosophically they are what Wrecks claimed buffalo would be. Stout d, great run game, under 30 pass attempts per game.

Here if Tyrod was a UFA he would likely get a contract offer around a 8-9M cap hit at best.

So why overpay not good enough

I believe they were courting him the year the bills signed him but he didn't want to go somewhere he didn't have a shot at starting.

The schemes are completely different but philosophically they are what Wrecks claimed buffalo would be. Stout d, great run game, under 30 pass attempts per game.

That was before they got a lot of tape in him.

I would rather go 1-15 and get the first overall pick, with a new head coach and front office than go 8-8. The status quo has to change. Tyrod is not going to get us into the playoffs, so what's the point. That 17 million could be used in other places. Once he is paid, there is not enough cap space to make any difference in a team with this many holes.

Tyrod may be a fix for teams that otherwise have all the pieces in place, however in Buffalo, at best he is a .500 qb. Is anyone really happy with that?

I guess he wouldn't be a bad fit. He'd be a decent backup in Denver. If forced into action I could see him being able to lead Denver to a similar record as Siemien. TT is not a good QB, but you don't need to be a good QB to succeed right now in Denver. This is the opposite as Buffalo where Rex destroyed our D.

Here if Tyrod was a UFA he would likely get a contract offer around a 8-9M cap hit at best.

So why overpay not good enough

That was before they got a lot of tape in him.

Kind of what I was thinking.

I'm somewhat shocked by the clamoring to dump Tyrod. Even picking up his full contract, Tyrod would seem like a relative deal at this point. In a league were Chase Daniels makes $7M, Brock Oswhiler makes $17M a year and guys like Bradford are being traded for 1st Round draft picks....Tyrod's contract will pay him an average of $16M a year....really it's a contract for $27M next year and $14M a year there after. Do people here who want Tyrod gone think there aren't multiple teams who would eagerly pay that much for Tyrod in a FA market with only one other possible starter, who's old and almost dead (Romo). Does the fact that there is literally no better option available not scare the anti- Tyrod crowd?

It's like Ron Burgundy jumping into the bear pit. If Tyrod gets cut and signs a $17M a year deal with the Jets, Browns, Bears, Niners etc...will people not immediately regret the decision?

Nope not scared. It can't get worse. He's got it on easy street with the run game and still stinks it up often.

I could see Denver or Arizona. Denver doesn't seem like a team willing to wait and see if Lynch can be the guy next year - they'd rather have a solid backup plan. Same goes for Arizona - sub par QB and O-line play is why they are where they are this year.

I could definitely see him in Denver. They can win with him. Despite his shortcomings, he's capable of running their offense and completing just enough passes to get the job done for them. Unlike the Bills, Denver has a defense that can seal the deal for them, and a better coach in Kubiak that could probably get more out of Taylor through design of the offense. They don't need a 300 yard per game passer, just someone who can protect the football and make a few plays here and there. He can do that much for them.

Edited by BmarvB

I think he could go somewhere and start much like Case Keenum started earlier this season. I don't think Denver or Cleveland would want him. He's not an upgrade for Denver. Cleveland is looking at 0-16 and taking a QB 1st overall. They'd be better suited to start any of their QB's rather than signing Taylor.

Maybe SF would sign him and have him start but that's about it. His best chance at starting is in Buffalo.

Personally, I don't care what other teams would be willing to pay him if he were a UFA. Or if there is a market for his services.

He has demonstrated clearly and repeatedly that he is a mediocre QB (at best). If we could keep him as a placeholder/backup at $7m per year, AWESOME. Sign me up.

But, keeping him at the salary demanded in the extension and not addressing the position with an attempt to approve on mediocre is not acceptable to me.

I would tell TT's agent we are not picking up the contract and offer a more reasonable deal. If he declines (as I would think he would), Ilet Tyrod walk.

At that point I would try to acquire Garrapolo. If that fails try to get a Quality veteran starter via trade (Romo, Brees, Rivers).

Beyond that, go after Cutler (UFA) or Bradford (Trade),

If this all fails then I would sign a guy like Hoyer/Keenum/McCown to come in and compete with Cardale and I would draft the best possible QB we can get in Rd1 or 2.

If Tyrod was a UFA, I would be looking at him the same way I'm looking at other options (Glennon etc.). I'm almost certain he's not the franchise guy but, for the right price, I'm okay with him being a placeholder while I develop Cardale and/or another draft pick at QB. Not going to offer a starting salary or something that's a slap in the face to a guy I'm asking to absorb shots while I cultivate his replacement. That value is probably closer to the RG3 $7.5m/year mark than it is the Josh McCown $4.66m/year mark.

It comes down to value. Tyrod has done enough to prove himself as a top-32 quarterback on talent alone. Someone will pay for that. He's got absolutely no need to stay at a cheaper rate. I wish the guy luck, I actually quite like the guy.

The only thing I'll say positive about EJ is that he does show some mental toughness- as in forgetting about his bad plays and not letting them affect his ability to come back. He's just not good enough IMO to be the starter here.

Yes- from what I've seen with my own eyes, Tyrod is a better NFL QB than EJ. I'm down with keeping his option and playing it out until we find someone better. If Cardale or some draft pick outperforms him in training camp and preseason then so be it. It will be an expensive gamble i guess.

If Tyrod hits UFA, then Cleveland and some other teams will swoop him up in a heartbeat. He's not the awful QB that Jeremy White and some others crusade about.

Why? Cleveland just got RG3. RG3 and TT are one in the same style QB.

Getting rid of RG3 for a lateral move in TT makes no sense.

Well unlike RG3, TT still has his legs so there is that. But agree they are the same QB Edited by MAJBobby

The fan boards in Cleveland like Taylor alot. They assume Griffin will be done in Cle after this season and Tyrod would be a nice bridge to whoever their future QB will be.. It will be interesting to see these two guys play on Sunday. If RG3 totally outplays Tyrod I wonder if their tune will change?