The Patriots Can Win With Anyone

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan runs precise routes and has excellent hands. Some coaches would rather have the Steve Largent than the Renaldo Nehemiah.

He is also a great general athlete and STRONG; all NJ State lacrosse player in addition to football.

The 2 traits you cite are BB's favorites. Go where we want you to go and catch the ball when Brady places it in your hands.

And they are all strong, powerful guys, even if on the small side.

I'd be willing to bet they are all above avg. IQ for football players too, as that's another trait BB locks onto.

their defense is great...but that's what happens when you keep the same system and keep drafting guys for said system. not getting a succesful defense in a system and then changing the system. same with ravens. year in year out their defense is solid. get us a coach to keep the same system going and watch this team be successful.

That is where the consistency thing comes in. Always running one system on Defense ( and on offense if you're the Pats) makes drafting and acquiring talent much easier. It also assures you don't end up in a square peg- round hole situation. The Bills often are. But the bigger problem than shuffling through coaches and systems is that they keep hiring bad coaches . That assures the former will continue. It will continue to suck until they get it right.

They went 3-1 this year without.

That is a testament to their offensive scheme, how effective it is and how they get the QB with the right skill set to run it as the backup. It's a precision , timing offense that moves the ball down the field and rarely calls for deep passes. Tyrod would suck running that offense, but it doesn't require the strongest armed QB. The routes are designed brilliantly, and a QB that will scan the field and read the defense will find the open guy.

Exactly- BB doesn't do excuses. He's built the penultimate football machine and controls all the levers. Bet he'd still own the division even if there was a 1 for 1 QB exchange with the bills.

No way Tyrod Taylor could run that offense. Everything it requires ( reading the defense, scanning the field , timing and anticipation) is what Taylor is horrible at.

It has to do with me refuting his point about a SB ring with my scoffing at the comparison between Hogan and the all-time great WR Largent. Try to pay attention.

No, you compared Hogan getting a ring with NE to RJ getting a ring In Tampa.

For obvious reasons this is a really dumb comparison, so that's why I asked.

11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008 with Brady out for the season...and 3-1 this year without Brady...

Just sayin...

11-5 with a weak schedule and oh ya an offense that had broken records the year before and went 16-0.. if Brady was healthy they lose MAYBE a game.

This year I like Jimmy G. I think he could be special... and Jacoby held the fort for a game and took the beating in game 4.

That is a testament to their offensive scheme, how effective it is and how they get the QB with the right skill set to run it as the backup. It's a precision , timing offense that moves the ball down the field and rarely calls for deep passes. Tyrod would suck running that offense, but it doesn't require the strongest armed QB. The routes are designed brilliantly, and a QB that will scan the field and read the defense will find the open guy.

No way Tyrod Taylor could run that offense. Everything it requires ( reading the defense, scanning the field , timing and anticipation) is what Taylor is horrible at.

he would just change the offense for him.

I respectfully disagree. I say BB wouldn't start him and would have someone else come in and run the O the way he wants it run. (or Jimmy G be the starter) he will adapt during the year to the talent he has but if he has a better option on the bench than the high price player that option gets the start.

I am not saying Jimmy G is better than TT as a QB just the better option under the Patriots system.

Edited by PatsFanNH

Hogan didn't leave because the Bills wouldn't match his contract. He wanted out because Ryan and Roman had him locked down behind Woods on the depth chart. Hogan believed he was better than Woods and deserved to start. BB gave him a contract the Bills couldn't or wouldn't match, doing Hogan a favor.

That said, I think Hogan is a much better fit for the Pats than he was with the Bills. He's worth what he's getting there, producing results in their system. He wouldn't have been worth as much here because we don't have a QB to take advantage of a guy who makes great cuts and is wide open but for only half a second. Brady loves guys like that. TT watches guys like that get open and then get covered.

He is also a great general athlete and STRONG; all NJ State lacrosse player in addition to football.

The 2 traits you cite are BB's favorites. Go where we want you to go and catch the ball when Brady places it in your hands.

And they are all strong, powerful guys, even if on the small side.

I'd be willing to bet they are all above avg. IQ for football players too, as that's another trait BB locks onto.

Great. So let's ballwash BB all day and dream that he was the coach of the Bills. Yes, we understand the scheme of the Pats offensive coordinator ( BB is a defensive guy) . We understand their formula. Get quick, small, white WRs that can understand complex route concepts and make sight adjustments at the line on option routes. The HOF QB will put the ball in a spot where you are running to and can capitalize on YAC because the ball will be there on time as you come out of the break. Beautiful. Yes , small quick white WRs are easier to find than Adonis type physical specimens and are much cheaper due to draft status. They will be a mismatch due to quickness , not physical dominance . Then trot out two TEs to take advantage of mismatches downfield. It's a great scheme, if you have a HOF QB or a backup with a similar skill set. The WRs will be open if you can get them the ball and read the defense .

Hogan didn't leave because the Bills wouldn't match his contract. He wanted out because Ryan and Roman had him locked down behind Woods on the depth chart. Hogan believed he was better than Woods and deserved to start. BB gave him a contract the Bills couldn't or wouldn't match, doing Hogan a favor.

That said, I think Hogan is a much better fit for the Pats than he was with the Bills. He's worth what he's getting there, producing results in their system. He wouldn't have been worth as much here because we don't have a QB to take advantage of a guy who makes great cuts and is wide open but for only half a second. Brady loves guys like that. TT watches guys like that get open and then get covered.

You are wrong. The Bills could have tendered CH at a higher level, meaning a higher salary and draft pick compensation if he was signed by another team. It's unlikely any team would have given up a draft pick, so it was a miscalculation by the Bills FO. Hogan was a restricted free agent.

I doubt it. The Pats have run that offense for fifteen years. They look for backups with the skill set to run it. It's what they believe in.

The Bills could have tendered CH at a higher level, meaning a higher salary and draft pick compensation if he was signed by another team.

Then the Bills would have kept Hogan and continued not to use him effectively, and paid him a lot more for the privilege. I suppose that would have hurt the Pats who would have had to go to another option. But it also would have cost the Bills who would have had to pay big money to someone they thought was a #3 WR.

:thumbsup: Awesome post!

Would not laugh to hard; we will see who ends up with SB ring! That is still what its all about!

So you think Hogan is as good as Steve Largent , because he left a bad team in FA to go to the best team and could get a SB ring in the process on a team that would have gotten one with or without him? Yep, that's what HOF is all about.