Report: Bill Polian Expected To Receive Interest From Bears

jethro_tull

"This wouldnt be micro-managing everything, scouring the waiver wire, making every decision, deciding what temperature the coffee should be and all that stuff, La Canfora said. I do think he would be in the building. He would be watching things closely. Hed be making recommendations to ownership. The way Ive heard it is it would be a senior advisory position, come in and see how decisions are being made, seeing what processes are in place, see how theyre getting to some conclusions theyre getting at and give recommendations on what he thinks is the best way to do things, kind seeing whos pulling their weight and maybe whos not and then trying to get a long-term structure in place to be more of a winning franchise.

Yeah, we don't need that.

I genuinely don't want Polian to be involved with the Bills. I think he had an incredible career, and he's no doubt one of the all-time great front office guys in the history of the game, but he just turned 74 years old.

Agreed.

We need to re-invent the glory years with new people looking forward, not backward.

Find me the next Bill Polian...the guy a lot of people haven't heard of yet, and who is destined to be in the HOF.

Or at least TRY to find that guy.

I genuinely don't want Polian to be involved with the Bills. I think he had an incredible career, and he's no doubt one of the all-time great front office guys in the history of the game, but he just turned 74 years old.

Pretty much this. Respect Polian for what he did here in Buffalo but I have no interest. He left the cupboard extremely bare in Indy. His drafts there were fairly bad.

Yeah, I want someone with no ties/history with the Bills.

Bill Polian

6 time NFL Executive of the Year.

Buffalo Bills - 4 straight AFC Championships

Carolina Panthers - NFC Championship in 2nd year of existence.

Indy Colts - Super Bowl Champions

You know, looking at that list, and assuming Bill is still sharp...

You would think he is a treasure chest of accumulated knowledge and experience that you just can't go find on the street.

I don't mean hire him as GM again.

I mean Pegula should get on the phone with him, get him down to the family compound in Boca, wine him, dine him, fly him around on the private plane....

LEARN from the man and have a lot of productive conversations that increase Pegula's football IQ 1000% in a few days.

Maybe Terry has already done this or is doing this now.

Pretty much this. Respect Polian for what he did here in Buffalo but I have no interest. He left the cupboard extremely bare in Indy. His drafts there were fairly bad.[/quote

And he won a super bowl with the colts.

You would think he is a treasure chest of accumulated knowledge and experience that you just can't go find on the street.

I mean Pegula should get on the phone with him, get him down to the family compound in Boca, wine him, dine him, fly him around on the private plane....

LEARN from the man and have a lot of productive conversations that increase Pegula's football IQ 1000% in a few days.

they were talking last year....got close...2 things held it up...#1 bill didn't want to miss induction into NFL Hall of Fame (5 years out of football) and #2 he doesn't want the daily grind of being a GM.....more like executive VP or that dreaded "czar" word.

Totally agree. If memory serves me right, the reason he didn't join the Bills before Ryan was hired was -- at least in part -- because he and Pegula disagreed as to how involved Polian would be. He's 74 years old and is done with the grind -- which is his right (and was very much deserved). At this point, the Bills need someone who is 100% committed.

I agree- but I have heard him talk on various radio shows and radio game broadcasts and he still has the pulse of the game and what it takes to win IMHO. I would hope the Bills do due diligence (if he is interested) and not just roll out the red carpet.

I wouldn't mind if he were consulted / assisted with the next coaching / GM hire.

Agreed.

We need to re-invent the glory years with new people looking forward, not backward.

Find me the next Bill Polian...the guy a lot of people haven't heard of yet, and who is destined to be in the HOF.

Or at least TRY to find that guy.

Interesting thought, no matter how you view whales, I don't think anyone sees in him a HOF GM. But where do you find one? Different sport? poaching from another team's staff. Are they a product of their own merit or of the system? college scouting is soooo different right? Does a great one get unfairly canned?

Well considering how accurate LaCanfora was on Sunday with his "Rex to be fired on Monday", this likely will be just as accurate.

So he's not going to be involved with everything, great, he'll likely bring in AJ Smith and sonny boy Chris. That's enough to say absolutely NO!!

"This wouldnt be micro-managing everything, scouring the waiver wire, making every decision, deciding what temperature the coffee should be and all that stuff, La Canfora said. I do think he would be in the building. He would be watching things closely. Hed be making recommendations to ownership. The way Ive heard it is it would be a senior advisory position, come in and see how decisions are being made, seeing what processes are in place, see how theyre getting to some conclusions theyre getting at and give recommendations on what he thinks is the best way to do things, kind seeing whos pulling their weight and maybe whos not and then trying to get a long-term structure in place to be more of a winning franchise.

Yeah, we don't need that.