Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Wife had a function tonight and since she doesn't like pork chops I had a window. Giant double bone in chop at 137 for almost 2 hours. Thick enough the sear didn't do much to cook it further. I must have messed up last time when it was just OK, because this was FANTASTIC. (Though I could only eat about half, along with a bucket of apple sauce.) Mmmmmm good!

As someone else mentioned, turning a bit into a cooking thread...sooo

Been trying to eat a tad healthier in the new year and came across this recipe for brown rice.I love white Basmati, typically hate brown due to texture.

This recipe actually gives you nice, fluffy, brown rice. Still not much flavour without the green Habanero hot sauce I put on it, but I guess healthier than the white. Have made it 3 times now, perfect every time.

http://www.saveur.com/perfect-brown-rice-recipe

I've got 5-10 pounds to lose (cold weather and holidays punished me more than usual) and did shrimp with boil a bag brown rice last night. Rarely do rice at all, but it worked with he sauce, and the shrimp was perfect. Took advice and used a little baking soda before cooking and were plump and juicy. Different in a good way!

Sous Vide on the cheap. I have a flat cooktop stove. A pot of water on the smallest burner at the lowest setting will warm to 150 degrees. Seasoned a filet and put it in a Ziploc sandwich bag, squeezed out the air and dropped it in for 40 minutes. Worked great.

Sous Vide on the cheap. I have a flat cooktop stove. A pot of water on the smallest burner at the lowest setting will warm to 150 degrees. Seasoned a filet and put it in a Ziploc sandwich bag, squeezed out the air and dropped it in for 40 minutes. Worked great.

seems like that would come out a bit well done based on the temp. how did you gauge when to pull it to get what you wanted short of 150 (or did you want it at 150)

The Anova rig was $99 when I bought it...how much cheaper you want for perfect food? Christ, spent almost that much for the movies last week for two of us...

The Anova rig was $99 when I bought it...how much cheaper you want for perfect food? Christ, spent almost that much for the movies last week for two of us...

I have the Gourmia... Anyone thinking about it should NOT get it. Inside liner is bubbling and it is starting to rust after about 3 months...

stupid question perhaps, but how do you know how long to cook things when you sous vide? do you just get a ballpark from the internet, and then it doesn't matter too much so long as you are in the ballpark on time. or is precise timing critical?

The beauty of sous vide is it holds the temperature for you. So once your meat hits the temp of the water, it never goes past it, so it (essentially) never overcooks.

Different cuts require different time. A NY Strip is ready in an hour, but can sit there for three or four. Some pork cuts require 18 hours or more.

Here is a good reference to bookmark.

The beauty of sous vide is it holds the temperature for you. So once your meat hits the temp of the water, it never goes past it, so it (essentially) never overcooks.

Different cuts require different time. A NY Strip is ready in an hour, but can sit there for three or four. Some pork cuts require 18 hours or more.

Here is a good reference to bookmark.

Great. Thanks!

seems like that would come out a bit well done based on the temp. how did you gauge when to pull it to get what you wanted short of 150 (or did you want it at 150)

You pull it out a little sooner. That's all. The steak came out delicious. As for being a cheapskate, that's $99 I didn't have to spend.

Been really enjoying following this thread -- amazing tips and knowledge being shared.

Here's my setup:

Anova (wifi model)

Lipavi 3 gallon container w/ lid (bought on Amazon -- the lid has a cutout to the specs of the Anova)

Wire rack that fits in the container to keep bags separate and standing up

Oliso vacuum sealer (found a deal through a cooking site)

Last night I seasoned a couple of 1.5-2" filets with salt, pepper, a twig of rosemary and thyme, and pat of butter and dropped them in a 132-degree bath for about 70 minutes...I have a cast iron pan I heated up outside on my grill with a little olive oil...after patting the steaks dry took them out and finished on the cast iron with a couple more pats of butter. Just amazing.

If I used this setup just for steaks it would be worth the money spent...but my curiosity has been piqued by everything I'm reading and I'm looking forward to venturing out into the culinary world. My wife and I both work so the thought of having some meals prepped and in the freezer to pop in the water when one of us gets home is very appealing.

The Oliso sealer is pretty cool; the proprietary bags can be used up to 12 times and it will seal wet or dry.

Anyway, thanks and please keep sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

Pork chops I bring to 140. I suspect the challenge with mine was that I was doing 2 1/2" - 3" thick bone in, but would only do them for three to four hours. I suspect they need closer to 24 hours to really break down.

This site has some pretty decent charts for meat, like this.

Incidentally, I did this recipe last weekend, and while I need to adjust the crust (too much salt for me), damn if it didn't make an amazing meal, with lots of leftovers for sammiches.

I did this chuck roast recipe over the weekend. Sous vide worked its magic on this cheaper cut of meat. I had it in for close to 24 hours and the results were just.awesome. I agree that if I do it again I'll cut back on the salt in the crust.

I did this chuck roast recipe over the weekend. Sous vide worked its magic on this cheaper cut of meat. I had it in for close to 24 hours and the results were just.awesome. I agree that if I do it again I'll cut back on the salt in the crust.

I did similar with rump roast for 24hrs --- just went real light on the seasoning overall though, and some bolder flavors via sauces after. Was EXCELLENT and waaaay cheaper than the usual suspects for a premium beef cut.

MIL was in town last night, and she never cooks steaks at home. So steak it was last night.

However, did the sear over a fully lit chimney sstarter.....winner winner fellas!!!!!!!!

No smoke in the house, charcoal flavor, crazy hot, fullly seared in less than 30 seconds each side,

Way to go for steaks

I've been doing sous vide for a while now but haven't commented in the thread yet. Last night I went with a full shoulder of pork, made into pork steaks. This ones a bit more about the prep and post because the pork will just turn into pulled pork if it's cooked for that long. It's actually a 36 hour process.

-First I lightly seasoned the pork with salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce and some thyme and rosemary. Kept the fat cap on it. Then wrapped it in plastic wrap, this helps it keep the form, then vacuum sealed it. Cooked the Pork for 24 hours. As soon as it was done it was straight to the refrigerator to cool for another 12 hours to "solidify". Once that's happened you can pulled it out and scrap all the drippings off and put into a pan for sauce and pull the fat cap off, which can go into the oven and make some nice crackling. The pork shoulder goes back into oven, it takes a bit longer to brown and reheat. Once that's done you can slice the pork into steaks and serve with the sauce. Absolutely delicious.