Clay inactive for game due to birth of child (updated)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they are getting paid too much, right? Or they make a mistake? Or get hurt? Or get old and a little slow? Then !@#$ them, right? It's a cold business.

Lack of production is much, much different than missing a single game to attend a one and a lifetime family experience. It is a cold business but being let go because of production is nothing surprising.

Lack of production is much, much different than missing a single game to attend a one and a lifetime family experience. It is a cold business but being let go because of production is nothing surprising.

So it's a conditional respect and compassion. We'll be nice as long as you score TD's. Otherwise, go be brain damaged and shoot yourself in 10 years on your own dime. Like that's true compassion.

This double talk is tiresome. What is Clay missing tomorrow if not a lack of production? Will he still get some first downs at the hospital in the biggest game of the year?

Edited by jmc12290

If you're single and don't have kids, I'll give you a pass because you don't understand.

If you're married and/or have kids and think Charles Clay should miss his child's birth for a football game - you're an idiot.

They aren't a family. They never will be.

Correct, they are a just a sports team that gathers for the specific goals of winning and making $.

Calling it family is utterly ridiculous cliche/rhetoric.

This maternity leave issue is more of a social thing where people compare what THEY want from THEIR jobs to the NFL. Those comparisons just don't hold up.

How many of the fans that expect the Bills to act like a family have called out players and wanted them gone or replaced? MAJBobby and Tyrod are tight but that's a unique situation. :lol:

The example that comes to mind is Mario. One season he's shoveling his neighbors out of a snowbank and beloved and they next season he is a pariah.

We all know the real deal here.........these guys are paid well to perform AND to go away when they can't. We don't have to be family to appreciate that dynamic.

So it's a conditional respect and compassion. We'll be nice as long as you score TD's. Otherwise, go be brain damaged and shoot yourself in 10 years on your own dime. Like that's true compassion.

This double talk is tiresome. What is Clay missing tomorrow if not a lack of production? Will he still get some first downs at the hospital in the biggest game of the year?

Why look at this so cut and dry? There is a situation aspect to this. I'm looking at it from an organizational and cultural perspective. Clay does his job on a weekly basis. Regardless of how you might feel about his production, he is doing his job. He has earned the respect of the team to be able to do what he is doing. This isn't preseason and he isn't an undrafted FA trying to make a roster.

It's just my personal belief that successful organizations, in sports and other business enterprises, treat their employees with respect and compassion. It breeds an environment that people want to be a part of. Maybe you feel differently and that's fine.

Why look at this so cut and dry? There is a situation aspect to this. I'm looking at it from an organizational and cultural perspective. Clay does his job on a weekly basis. Regardless of how you might feel about his production, he is doing his job. He has earned the respect of the team to be able to do what he is doing. This isn't preseason and he isn't an undrafted FA trying to make a roster.

It's just my personal belief that successful organizations, in sports and other business enterprises, treat their employees with respect and compassion. It breeds an environment that people want to be a part of. Maybe you feel differently and that's fine.

But none of them do. That's the rub. Your ideas of respect and compassion are flawed. Respect isn't cutting a valued 10 year+ employee for a slight dip in performance. Compassion is not dumping an employee who ends his career due to injury for your company. At least, that's not what those words mean to me.

When you try to call any sports organization, especially football ones, compassionate or respectful, it's just not true. They are cold and unfeeling.

Edited by jmc12290

But none of them do. That's the rub. Your ideas of respect and compassion are flawed. Respect isn't cutting a valued employee for a slight dip in performance. Compassion is not dumping an employee who ends his career due to injury for your company. At least, that's not what those words mean to me.

I think it's unfair for you to make the assumption that I agree with those moves or beliefs. I'm speaking from my beliefs, my experiences. I'm not the Buffalo Bills. I was simply stating that I agree with the idea that players should be shown respect and compassion when it comes to families and personal lives. The Bills have many, many disfunctinal aspects in their organization that I disagree with but I believe them to be correct in allowing a player to miss time for this reason. Is it not reasonable to identify specific situations as respectful or compassionate? Why must it be labeled as a black or white situation?

Does anyone else recall a Bill missing a game becuase of birth of a child? I don't so maybe it is me. A guy is getting paid tens of millions of dollars and he is in a profession where you abosultely are counted on to be at work 16 times a year. I understand unforseen death in the family circumstances but this is not unforeseen. In 2016 there are multiple ways to control this so it fits into the fact that you need to be in the office 16 times a year... Is this a Rex thing where players feel they can do what they want or is it Clay's way of saying he wants out of town??? Just seems to a lot of these players the games are a distraction to them enjoying their millionaire status...Today may be the start of the Nick O'Leary reign as the Bills franchise Tightend. I hope so.

Bill Walsh would argue you're wrong. It is a business, yes. It can often force teams into difficult situations. But making a business decision doesn't make an organization disrectful when gone about the correct way. Leadership can, in fact, make hard and impactful decisions but can do so with a purposeful, reasonable and compassionate manner.

I think it's unfair for you to make the assumption that I agree with those moves or beliefs. I'm speaking from my beliefs, my experiences. I'm not the Buffalo Bills. I was simply stating that I agree with the idea that players should be shown respect and compassion when it comes to families and personal lives. The Bills have many, many disfunctinal aspects in their organization that I disagree with but I believe them to be correct in allowing a player to miss time for this reason. Is it not reasonable to identify specific situations as respectful or compassionate? Why must it be labeled as a black or white situation?

You made the claim that successful organizations treat their employees with compassion or respect. The history of the NFL has proven that is just not true. Exemplified by the Colts kicking Peyton to the curb, the Pats being arguably the most cold and analytical team in history etc etc. The "assumption" I made is that you believe those organizations treat their employees with respect and compassion, which is less of an assumption and more what you exactly said. And I gave examples proving that is just not true.

jmc is right. That's not really how it works. Corporations know where nice guys finish.

Being near Rochester I see first hand every day what happens when a successful corporation like Kodak puts their workforce above the product they produce.......the workforce gets complacent, profits shrink and the company gets beaten in the market.

The Patriots are as cutthroat as it gets in the NFL........but that's not only not a front page story......it's a NON-STORY.......because the players there know where BB places football on the list of player priorities......regardless of what he might say if pressed by the media.

jmc is right. That's not really how it works. Corporations know where nice guys finish.

Being near Rochester I see first hand every day what happens when a successful corporation like Kodak puts their workforce above the product they produce.......the workforce gets complacent, profits shrink and the company gets beaten in the market.

The Patriots are as cutthroat as it gets in the NFL........but that's not only not a front page story......it's a NON-STORY.......because the players there know where BB places football on the list of player priorities......regardless of what he might say if pressed by the media.

If Tom Brady missed a game for the birth of a child, would he be cut?

Will they release Gronk for being injured?

Players, employees can earn this right by producing and being a contributing member to organization

Break his contract down to 365 days. Football is not just a 16 week sport.

Right but this thread doesn't exist for mini camp or an April workout. You can't pretend that all 365 days are the same. I'm not upset by him sitting but with it essentially being a playoff game and him being a cornerstone guy it's tough to lose him.

If he sat out the super bowl I don't think you'd be saying it's just another day at work