Clay inactive for game due to birth of child (updated)

YoloinOhio

No I am not. Because if the Bonus us NOT restructured it would have been all paid out and accounted for THIS year. That is what I am saying. Kicking the can on a Bonus for a guy that had known Chronic knee issues is not a good idea, you tie yourself to him now for next 2 years

You are correct that the team would have taken the full cap hit of the $10M this season if the contract has not been restructured. The team did kick $7.5M down the road. But that doesn't matter when looking at the impact of cutting Clay. That's because taking the additional $7.5M hit in 2016 would have reduced the cap carryover by $7.5M. The amount of remaining cap space is exactly the same in both instances if Clay is cut. You're concerned that Clay's dead money is high if he's cut soon - and it would look high - but it doesn't matter if you understand that it's only high because the team's other choice was to take the cap hit earlier. The real problem was the original deal that guaranteed Clay such high payouts of cash so early. Cash paid out must be taken as a cap hit so it was just a matter of determining when the team would take the hits.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct that the team would have taken the full cap hit of the $10M this season if the contract has not been restructured. The team did kick $7.5M down the road. But that doesn't matter when looking at the impact of cutting Clay. That's because taking the additional $7.5M hit in 2016 would have reduced the cap carryover by $7.5M. The amount of remaining cap space is exactly the same in both instances if Clay is cut. You're concerned that Clay's dead money is high if he's cut soon - and it would look high - but it doesn't matter if you understand that it's only high because the team's other choice was to take the cap hit earlier. The real problem was the original deal that guaranteed Clay such high payouts of cash so early. Cash paid out must be taken as a cap hit so it was just a matter of determining when the team would take the hits.

And that is fine, that is how it needed to be structured to get the player out of MIA. However once the chronic knee issue is known about I am sorry I find it a complete mistake to kick the can into future years on a player that does have a chronic health issue.

And that is fine, that is how it needed to be structured to get the player out of MIA. However once the chronic knee issue is known about I am sorry I find it a complete mistake to kick the can into future years on a player that does have a chronic health issue.

again, kicking it down the line is only in issue when you start spending that borrowed money in the short term. the pen hitting the paper on clays contract changed its cap impact in structure not volume and the structure became more advantageous to the team. that means the act of restructure is good.

now what we did with that flexibility may or may not be good. the 10m was a sunk cost that was going to hit our rolling cap at some point and pushing it is always better in case something pressing comes up. the only way it hurts is if you squander that flexibility on poor choices.

Edited by NoSaint

again, kicking it down the line is only in issue when you start spending that borrowed money in the short term. the pen hitting the paper on clays contract changed its cap impact in structure not volume and the structure became more advantageous to the team. that means the act of restructure is good.

now what we did with that flexibility may or may not be good. the 10m was a sunk cost that was going to hit our rolling cap at some point and pushing it is always better in case something pressing comes up. the only way it hurts is if you squander that flexibility on poor choices.

So on Blanton, Colt Anderson, Bush, Harvin Type Squandering, there is 3+M of that little bit of flexibility you created

Of course.

My question is, how does Terry feel seeing his $$ pissed away by a GM who is still "learning on the job"? I understand $800K isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things if you're a Pegula, but still, that money (for Harvin) was almost literally flushed down the toilet by Whaley and Overdorf. Add that to the horrible contracts given to Shady, Clay, and Dareus and at some point, if the lightbulb is on, Pegula is going to hold these people accountable, no?

I know there are a lot of "there is only one answer to every question" people on this board (and in society, generally), because the human brain craves simplicity. But to me, it's a complicated confluence of factors that have led to the present state of suckitude. In no particular order:

1) Lack of a franchise QB

2) Bad/lazy coaching and schemes

3) A GM who is more of a "scout" than a "team architect" and who fails to understand how best to invest limited resources in today's NFL

4) Tom Brady being in the same division

I wish I could formally like this post. It succinctly speaks to the issues facilitating the playoff drought.

The issues plaguing this team go higher than individual players and coaches.

T/K Pegs must now be willing to make the hard decisions to address these factors (save for Brady of course).

Of course.

My question is, how does Terry feel seeing his $$ pissed away by a GM who is still "learning on the job"? I understand $800K isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things if you're a Pegula, but still, that money (for Harvin) was almost literally flushed down the toilet by Whaley and Overdorf. Add that to the horrible contracts given to Shady, Clay, and Dareus and at some point, if the lightbulb is on, Pegula is going to hold these people accountable, no?

I know there are a lot of "there is only one answer to every question" people on this board (and in society, generally), because the human brain craves simplicity. But to me, it's a complicated confluence of factors that have led to the present state of suckitude. In no particular order:

1) Lack of a franchise QB

2) Bad/lazy coaching and schemes

3) A GM who is more of a "scout" than a "team architect" and who fails to understand how best to invest limited resources in today's NFL

4) Tom Brady being in the same division

Terry feels fine about it because he looks at the Bills as a business as a whole and I'm sure the ROI is not any different than he assumed it would be when he purchased the team. Every business has inefficient expenses or investments that don't pan out. You need 53 guys in uniform so whether it was Harvin or some other street FA being paid really doesn't concern him.

I'm sure the lack of a franchise QB is not news at OBD. They hoped TT would turn the corner this year with a solid running game behind him but it's not happening and now they can only address it through the next draft. There are only so many things you can do and so many plans you can commit to. Would we all be happier if Terry had paid Brock Osweiler $72M to come to Buffalo last offseason?

Terry feels fine about it because he looks at the Bills as a business as a whole and I'm sure the ROI is not any different than he assumed it would be when he purchased the team. Every business has inefficient expenses or investments that don't pan out. You need 53 guys in uniform so whether it was Harvin or some other street FA being paid really doesn't concern him.

I'm sure the lack of a franchise QB is not news at OBD. They hoped TT would turn the corner this year with a solid running game behind him but it's not happening and now they can only address it through the next draft. There are only so many things you can do and so many plans you can commit to. Would we all be happier if Terry had paid Brock Osweiler $72M to come to Buffalo last offseason?

And this is based on what?

I wasn't talking about the profitable part. I was talking about look at the Bills as just a business.

And he is. Hense My profitable comment

I don't know maybe I have become jaded with Pro sports and know the no one thing driving everyone involved is $$$. They don't live and die off of what happens every Sunday like the fans do

Edited by MAJBobby

I disagree. If Terry looked at it purely as a business, he probably never would have agreed to some of the deals the FO has made.

Look at it those way. Those big deals really had more to do with T Pegs changing a league wide Perception we are cheap. He did the same with Sabres

I disagree. If Terry looked at it purely as a business, he probably never would have agreed to some of the deals the FO has made.

So you think the CEO of a major business spends his day scrutinizing operating expenses that amount to a fraction of one % of revenue?

The example used above was Harvin. I really don't think Terry spent much time reviewing the waiver wire for potentially cheaper options when they needed an emergency fill in at WR.

So you think the CEO of a major business spends his day scrutinizing operating expenses that amount to a fraction of one % of revenue?

The example used above was Harvin. I really don't think Terry spent much time reviewing the waiver wire for potentially cheaper options when they needed an emergency fill in at WR.

I agree with you on Harvin. I don't think he cares they wasted $1M on him if there was a chance he could play. My point, and maybe I misunderstood you, is that it's more than just a business for Terry. Sure it makes money for him but I don't think that's really all that important other than giving him something to put back into the team.

Since teams have to spend almost all of the salary cap, it's pretty much a sunk operating cost each year.

Perhaps.