Sammy Watkins did not practice due to sore foot

16-0

The dude broke his foot 9 months ago and it's still broken? So that screw did nothing but cause discomfort and didn't fully heal the injury.

HvDBuYO.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of all of this. If you read the transcript of the interview with Lynn, which is where this is all coming from, I'm not sure he really knows what's going on with Sammy. He uses a lot of "last I heard" etc.

And why is it Lynn announcing all of this and Rex is up there saying he looks good out there etc.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People that suffer from this (I have friend who does)

- Its not just the pain in the head.....it also makes you extremely nausaus

- Things like sunlight are like daggers in the skull

- Imagine what a tumor in your head the size of a baseball would feel like

They suck on every level, and mine affect my vision first. The first time I had on I lost about 75% of vision in both eyes. I was at work, but it was like I was going snowblind. I nearly shat myself.

I'm not sure what to make of all of this. If you read the transcript of the interview with Lynn, which is where this is all coming from, I'm not sure he really knows what's going on with Sammy. He uses a lot of "last I heard" etc.

And why is it Lynn announcing all of this and Rex is up there saying he looks good out there etc.

from what I gather, it's really both. He does look good, his snaps are expected to increase from last week, he's a tough mofo because he's going to be playing through some pain. He can't do any further damage per both the team docs and the ones he consulted in North Carolina. But will likely need a second surgery at some point, which is not atypical with Jones fractures. Once he has that and it is fully healed, it is like it never happened. He could play through the season but at this point they don't know for sure as it depends on how it feels. As others have said I expect he will play as long as they are still in playoff race.

@profootballdoc

Hindsight is 20/20.

Perhaps @sammywatkins should have had 2nd surgery during his 8 week IR/dfr stint. Surgery coming whenever season ends.

*as I recall, the doctor he consulted in NC concluded he didn't need the second surgery (at least at that time)

I can guarantee you that he consulted with a team doc before he decided to wait and see if it would heal on its own.

I also know--for a fact--that he's had multiple docs on this case.

So was Dr. Anderson incorrect about no need for a 2nd surgery or is that TBD at this point?

1. We throw the ball less than every other NFL team

2. We have a QB that is limited in what plays he can execute in the passing game

You'd think if you had a weapon you'd use it.

This defies logic.

Either that stats lie (i.e. he's not that good, or, isn't open) or the Bills have had 3 terrible OC's during Sammy's tenure

So was Dr. Anderson incorrect about no need for a 2nd surgery or is that TBD at this point?

Not sure.

I would give Dr. Anderson the benefit of the doubt that he is correct. That said--and this is only my understanding--the 2nd surgery in these cases is often done to alleviate referred pain, so it's possible that he's correct that it's not needed, but it could still be beneficial.

You'd think if you had a weapon you'd use it.

This defies logic.

Either that stats lie (i.e. he's not that good, or, isn't open) or the Bills have had 3 terrible OC's during Sammy's tenure

I'm not sure why those are the only conclusions.

The team made a concentrated effort to get him the ball once he came back from his ankle problem(s) last year, and it worked.

He's been injured this year, so it's kind of early to make any conclusion about Lynn's plan for him.

I'll also say that having a QB who is limited in what he can execute--vis-a-vis bailing the pocket too early, not seeing the whole field consistently, not throwing the ball with anticipation, etc.--will limit a guy's opportunities to make plays.

IMO, there really isn't much to figure out. The guy is a terrific football player who's had some injury issues and hasn't had the benefit of even above-average QB play or a pass-focused offense.

EDIT: now, if the question is who to blame for that last point, then it's a mixed bag. Blame the personnel group for not finding a Carr/Prescott type, blame the coach for not pursuing a more pass-oriented offense, or blame the QB for not trusting what he sees.

Edited by thebandit27

Not sure.

I would give Dr. Anderson the benefit of the doubt that he is correct. That said--and this is only my understanding--the 2nd surgery in these cases is often done to alleviate referred pain, so it's possible that he's correct that it's not needed, but it could still be beneficial.

I'm not sure why those are the only conclusions.

The team made a concentrated effort to get him the ball once he came back from his ankle problem(s) last year, and it worked.

He's been injured this year, so it's kind of early to make any conclusion about Lynn's plan for him.

I'll also say that having a QB who is limited in what he can execute--vis-a-vis bailing the pocket too early, not seeing the whole field consistently, not throwing the ball with anticipation, etc.--will limit a guy's opportunities to make plays.

IMO, there really isn't much to figure out. The guy is a terrific football player who's had some injury issues and hasn't had the benefit of even above-average QB play or a pass-focused offense.

EDIT: now, if the question is who to blame for that last point, then it's a mixed bag. Blame the personnel group for not finding a Carr/Prescott type, blame the coach for not pursuing a more pass-oriented offense, or blame the QB for not trusting what he sees.

Appreciate and agree with the perspective on the QB/OC, I do agree that's where the problem is.

I was underwhelmed with Hackett during Watkins first year and obviously more than underwhelmed with Orton/Manuel throwing him the ball

Last year, it seemed like Taylor and Roman figured it out in 2nd half when Watkins came back from his injury and got him the ball with decent frequency

So, now, same QB, but different OC -- again, sample size is small, 3 games with a lingering injury, but we'll see as Watkins gets in game shape if they ratchet up the targets

I can guarantee you that he consulted with a team doc before he decided to wait and see if it would heal on its own.

I also know--for a fact--that he's had multiple docs on this case.

So I guess they were wrong.

Appreciate and agree with the perspective on the QB/OC, I do agree that's where the problem is.

I was underwhelmed with Hackett during Watkins first year and obviously more than underwhelmed with Orton/Manuel throwing him the ball

Last year, it seemed like Taylor and Roman figured it out in 2nd half when Watkins came back from his injury and got him the ball with decent frequency

So, now, same QB, but different OC -- again, sample size is small, 3 games with a lingering injury, but we'll see as Watkins gets in game shape if they ratchet up the targets

I agree with all of that.

So I guess they were wrong.

Not necessarily. See below:

Not sure.

Not sure.

That jibes with what I remember reading when Watkins was held out of OTAs and TC. IIRC the word was that only the fractures that were not expected to heal on their own were surgically repaired. One that was expected to fully heal on its own was still giving him issues. It makes sense that it could be a pain issue rather than the break not healing at all or refracturing.

No the foot was stable the screw was fine.

Typically the 2nd Surgeries are about the pain (with this INJ) Julio needed one, Dez needed one, Edelman needed one, Sammy probably should have already got one but that would have likely shut him down for the season.

He will get it in offseason as long as he can tolerate the pain