Around the NFL (some perspective)

section122

Regularly I see posts that make me stop and think "do these people watch other games?" The Bills are 6-5 and have a tough road to the playoffs but there still is a road and unlike most other years the Bills actually have a legitimate shot. So here is some perspective from a guy who watched way too many other teams play. (I'm going to only use teams with better records than the Bills)

The Bills have scored less than 10 points once this year. The Seahawks have done that 3 times.

The Bills beat the Jags by 7. The Ravens beat them by 2, The Chiefs beat them by 5, The Texans beat them by 3, and the Lions beat them by 7.

The Bills beat the Bengals by 4. The Giants beat them by 1, The Redskins tied them, and the Cowboys beat them by 4. The Dolphins lost by 15.

The Bills have a per game point differential of 4.1 ppg. Better than Pitt, KC, Oak, Seattle and more. It is good for 5th in the league.

Buffalo is 18th in ypg on offense. Better than Den, NYG, Bal, Mia, Det, KC, Hou, and Min.

Buffalo only has 11 passing tds on the year. Tied with Baltimore.

Buffalo has more rushing yards, a higher ypa, and more rushing tds than any other team in the league. All of this while being 3rd in attempts behind Tenn and Dal.

At 6-5 the Bills would be tied for the lead in the AFC North and South, and be 1 game out in the NFC North, South, and West. (5 out of 8 divisions for those scoring at home).

Please understand I don't post these stats to tell anyone that Bills are the best team in the league. Simply I am posting these to show that other teams have warts too. Remember that I only used teams that currently are tied or have a better record than the Bills. There has been a lot of hand wringing about how the Bills are winning. We are watching one of if not the best Bills teams in 16 years. Enjoy it!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regularly I see posts that make me stop and think "do these people watch other games?" The Bills are 6-5 and have a tough road to the playoffs but there still is a road and unlike most other years the Bills actually have a legitimate shot. So here is some perspective from a guy who watched way too many other teams play. (I'm going to only use teams with better records than the Bills)

The Bills have scored less than 10 points once this year. The Seahawks have done that 3 times.

The Bills beat the Jags by 7. The Ravens beat them by 2, The Chiefs beat them by 5, The Texans beat them by 3, and the Lions beat them by 7.

The Bills beat the Bengals by 4. The Giants beat them by 1, The Redskins tied them, and the Cowboys beat them by 4. The Dolphins lost by 15.

The Bills have a per game point differential of 4.1 ppg. Better than Pitt, KC, Oak, Seattle and more. It is good for 5th in the league.

Buffalo is 18th in ypg on offense. Better than Den, NYG, Bal, Mia, Det, KC, Hou, and Min.

Buffalo has more rushing yards, a higher ypa, and more rushing tds than any other team in the league. All of this while being 3rd in attempts behind Tenn and Dal.

At 6-5 the Bills would be tied for the lead in the AFC North and South, and be 1 game out in the NFC North, South, and West. (5 out of 8 divisions for those scoring at home).

Please understand I don't post these stats to tell anyone that Bills are the best team in the league. Simply I am posting these to show that other teams have warts too. Remember that I only used teams that currently are tied or have a better record than the Bills. There has been a lot of hand wringing about how the Bills are winning. We are watching one of if not the best Bills teams in 16 years. Enjoy it!

Good perspective. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Your last point is why i always contend the 17 year playoff drought comes with a big asterisk. It's all because of New England. Bill and Brady. The evil empire. If the Bills were in any other division they would've made the playoffs a couple times by now. It's no coincidence the Jets and Miami are also in the Top 10 in post-season droughts.

Maybe the Bills or Fish will shake that this year.

Awesome post man. Im enjoying it.

I had fun and got some good feedback (and have a couple of minutes to kill at the end of the work day)

The Bills have scored 34 total TDs this year. That is 1 behind NE and good for 8th in the league.

The Bills are 25th in T.O.P. better than Seattle, Mia, and NYG.

The Bills are tied for 6th in penalties with Denver. That is less than Oak, Balt, and Tenn.

The Bills are 15th in Yards per play better than the NYG, KC, Den, Balt, and Minn.

Tyrod has a better ypa than Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, and Carson Wentz

IIRC QBs with 300+ yards passing went 2-4 in week 12.

I just looked it up. It moved to 3-4 with Aaron Rodgers winning last night.

Some interesting numbers came from this "study" though

Qbs throwing for more than 300 this season are a combined 44-43-2. Out of 12 weeks 5 of 12 saw more 300+ yard passers lose than win.

Here is where it got really interesting though:

Teams that had a RB go over 100 yards this season are 50-15-1. Out of 12 weeks 0 saw more 100 yard rushers lose than win.

Any true statistician would shred this because of all the variables. But I agree sit back and enjoy "just run the table baby"! 11-5

For sure but this thread wasn't to prove anything other than every team in the league has holes and things that they struggle with. As I said earlier it is simply to show those that only watch the Bills that other teams have many of the same issues.

I just looked it up. It moved to 3-4 with Aaron Rodgers winning last night.

Some interesting numbers came from this "study" though

Qbs throwing for more than 300 this season are a combined 44-43-2. Out of 12 weeks 5 of 12 saw more 300+ yard passers lose than win.

Here is where it got really interesting though:

Teams that had a RB go over 100 yards this season are 50-15-1. Out of 12 weeks 0 saw more 100 yard rushers lose than win.

When you rush for that much you probably dominate the ToP also.

Where are they in the playoff hunt?

Not in currently?

Then the above stats and feel-good 'facts' don't matter.

I say this as someone who actually likes looking at these metrics. I'm just tired of 'moral' victories while we sit out every post season.

Where are they in the playoff hunt?

Not in currently?

Then the above stats and feel-good 'facts' don't matter.

I say this as someone who actually likes looking at these metrics. I'm just tired of 'moral' victories while we sit out every post season.

They are currently 9th in the standings. With games against 3 of the teams in front of them. The Bills actually control their own destiny if they win all 3 of those games and certainly make the playoffs at 11-5. Possibly even at 10-6.

These stats aren't moral victories. Instead they point to the fact that the Bills actually have a chance. These aren't the same old Bills.