Frustrated with Goodwin

cage

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodwin had two 3rd down receptions last game to convert 1st downs. He's finally improving as a WR after getting hurt in every previous season.

Yeah great point! He came up big last week when he was called on. I'm not really a Goodwin fan but he's looking better than he has in the past.

My issues with him are body control on the sidelines, he doesn't get the ball at its highest point, he is slow off the line, slow out of press coverage. His biggest asset is speed, but he struggles with finding the ball. I can't tell if he doesn't know how to extend for the ball, or if he's slowing down to try and run under it?

He has straight line speed, but he isn't particularly quick or nimble in the open field.

His route tree has expanded this year but it seems to have come at the expense of the deep ball. He can burn any CB in the league so I'm not sure why they're not exploiting that more. I know they want the offense to depend less on the big play and more on sustained drives, but I think they've tilted too far in that direction.

I just don't get it. Other than the occasional bomb, it just doesn't seem possible to get Goodwin into space so he can run after a catch. I don't think I've ever seen another blazing fast guy (among the fastest in the NFL) who just cannot be shook loose for YAC. Every completion to him is a sideline or comeback pattern that gets him immediately tackled. Lynn, TT and Goodwin should be studying Andre Reed. I don't think I've ever seen us try to hit him on a slant like Reed did time and time again.

When I watch Baldwin in the Seattle game a couple weeks ago or Julian Edelman these fast guys are constantly on slants, crossing patterns underneath and then off to the races turning 7 yard passes into 30-40 yard plays... irritating!

Andre Reed lived going across the middle. Tyrod cannot throw across the middle, he would never see Goodwin on a slant or sit down 8 yds up just past the LB

He actually looks better than I expected. Made some nice grabs vs Seattle and seems to be a decent sideline target for TT. He's come a long way from 2014 when he had like one catch all year.

I agree here.

There were quotes after Goodwin's failed Olympic trials saying that he needed to put something like 20+ pounds of muscles back on to be in football shape - i.e., strong enough to "take a beating".

I just don't get it. Other than the occasional bomb, it just doesn't seem possible to get Goodwin into space so he can run after a catch. I don't think I've ever seen another blazing fast guy (among the fastest in the NFL) who just cannot be shook loose for YAC. Every completion to him is a sideline or comeback pattern that gets him immediately tackled. Lynn, TT and Goodwin should be studying Andre Reed. I don't think I've ever seen us try to hit him on a slant like Reed did time and time again.

When I watch Baldwin in the Seattle game a couple weeks ago or Julian Edelman these fast guys are constantly on slants, crossing patterns underneath and then off to the races turning 7 yard passes into 30-40 yard plays... irritating!

Goodwin is straight line fast. I've not seen him demonstrate elusiveness in anyway to suggest he'd be able to produce YAC

They have QB's who can hit slants in stride.

They were demonstrating that last night about GB...how between Favre and Rodgers they've had a generation of QBs who can throw a slant in the perfect spot time after time. And that's how you get YAC.

First drive of the game on 3rd down, Goodwin was wide open, Tyrod prematurely runs out of the box and out of bounces...again. We have a QB thats struggles at finding open WRs and throwing accurate passes

ABSOLUTELY!!

I really felt that despite losing Hogan in the off season and having Watkins out for an extended period, we still had receivers that were capable. I still think we do. Goodwin has done well this year. Powell has been good. Percy needs to be targeted more. Woods is still solid. But, the key factor in their success is who's throwing them the ball. Too many times TT has throw off target, but the receiver still make the catch, but the throw was so far off that he either fell to the ground or was off balance and the defender was right there. Accuracy is certainly an issue, but so is having THE BALLS TO THROW THE DAMN BALL!!!!! Stop worrying about throwing an interception (see Favre, Brett). Take a chance!!!

Lately, on drives where we NEED to score, I'd rather have EJ in. I truly believe that EJ is a better two-minute drive QB than TT. And that's sad and not worth paying him in the off season.

He actually looks better than I expected. Made some nice grabs vs Seattle and seems to be a decent sideline target for TT. He's come a long way from 2014 when he had like one catch all year.

I was going to say something similar. He has made some really spectacular diving, tip-toe catches. He seems to have great hands and body control.

I am going with the OP on this one-- it's a bit frustrating how we can't figure out better ways to use him. I don't think they are handcuffing him either due to injury risk.

Goodwin doing slants equals no Goodwin. Fast but not durable.

It has to be this reason. They dont want Goodwin to get killed so they use him for quick 1st downs and out of bounds routes with the occasional bomb but, I would love to see them make Goodwin run a deep post deep down the middle whenever they play cover 2 man coverage to stop Tyrods deep sideline throws. We did that vs SEA and we did it damn well TT nailed that ****. I dont know why we dont do that as often.

Durability and not getting him the ball fast enough on diff routes would do that.

Tyrod needs bigger WRs, he needs better WRs. He has been playing with a bunch of short scrubs. Hunter a tall guy goes in and scores, Woods a good WR gets 100+ yards when healthy, Watkins comes back limited and gets 3 for 80... Clay sadly looks like Chandler anymore. Healthy McCoy with Taylor are scary. Get some big healthy good WRs and the QB play will be good enough to win every game.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Tyrod needs bigger WRs, he needs better WRs. He has been playing with a bunch of short scrubs. Hunter a tall guy goes in and scores, Woods a good WR gets 100+ yards when healthy, Watkins comes back limited and gets 3 for 80... Clay sadly looks like Chandler anymore. Healthy McCoy with Taylor are scary. Get some big healthy good WRs and the QB play will be good enough to win every game.

Taylor is not scary. He's 6 and 5 and can no show at any time.

Totally agree...I think he's really improved...

His QB not so much though... B-)

@SalSports

Marquise Goodwin leads all Bills WRs in offensive snaps this season. He's only WR over 60% on season. Raise your hand if you saw that coming

I guess when you aren't protecting your body for Olympic long jumping dreams you can find a way to stay on the field.