Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

This issue is my biggest pet peeve.

I live exactly 1.5 miles from Duffs in OP, two red lights. For the Monday night game I decided to take a cab, there was a Sabres game at 7 so I figured I need to go early and knew I'd be there for close to 6 hours and didn't want to chance driving. Called the cab, get in and he tells me there is a 12 dollar minimum and I left him a $3 tip. I paid $30 freaking dollars in cab fare that night.

NYC State elected politicians are in bed with the NYC taxi unions. NYC has Uber, how dare these crooks not allow the rest of the state to have it. Upstate needs to secede from NYC, and it is going to be on the ballet in 2017.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Leger Douzable manages to become the impetus that tips the scales and brings Uber Statewide then I will consider this season a success.

Put him on the Wall!

Not having Uber available is ridiculous (and crooked, imo).

When I was a kid we used to call Uber GETING INTO A CAR WITH A TOTAL STRANGER!

I will never take a taxi again. Reason?

1. Cheaper

2. English speakers. I very rarely had a conversation with a taxi driver. I converse with my Uber drivers every time for the whole trip.

3. They actually pay attention to you. I've had taxi drivers talk the whole time to someone on their cell

4. Convenient. No need for cash or card. Just your phone

5. Clean and smoke free. Most cabs reek of cigarette smoke.

6. When was the last time a taxi driver told you help yourself to water, snacks or gum they have tucked into the seat back pocket in front of you?

I needed to take a cab home from a show in Oakland when I live in SF. I get all the way home ($60 cab ride) and I hand him my credit card. "you don't have cash?" No I don't have cash or at least that much. If you wanted cash only don't you think that would have been a good question to ask me when I got in and told you I was going across the bay? Dude insisted and had to drive me to an ATM to get cash. Never ever ever again.

Next step? Uber Eats.

1. Cheaper

2. English speakers. I very rarely had a conversation with a taxi driver. I converse with my Uber drivers every time for the whole trip.

3. They actually pay attention to you. I've had taxi drivers talk the whole time to someone on their cell

6. When was the last time a taxi driver told you help yourself to water, snacks or gum they have tucked into the seat back pocket in front of you?

I needed to take a cab home from a show in Oakland when I live in SF. I get all the way home ($60 cab ride) and I hand him my credit card. "you don't have cash?" No I don't have cash or at least that much. If you wanted cash only don't you think that would have been a good question to ask me when I got in and told you I was going across the bay? Dude insisted and had to drive me to an ATM to get cash. Never ever ever again.

Next step? Uber Eats.

That's a nice list, to which I would add that I have never personally waited more than 5-7 minutes for an Uber car, anywhere. If you actually have to CALL for a cab, you may be waiting a while. I've also found most Uber cars to be superior in condition and cleanliness, something most seem to take pride in.

That's a nice list, to which I would add that I have never personally waited more than 5-7 minutes for an Uber car, anywhere. If you actually have to CALL for a cab, you may be waiting a while. I've also found most Uber cars to be superior in condition and cleanliness, something most seem to take pride in.

A clean vehicle is a requirement to drive for Uber. I must say I did have a decent cabbie that used to take me to the airport. It was the same guy every time and recognized my number before I called but I always had to call the night before to reserve him for my early flights. Not sure if Uber will be around when I need to be picked up at 4:30am for my 6am flights.

1. Cheaper

Next step? Uber Eats.

the last cab driver that pulled the cash only thing on me... well, i got out and told him to give me a call when he fixed the cc machine. turned out he got it working REAL fast. that was also one of the last times i used a cab.

A clean vehicle is a requirement to drive for Uber. I must say I did have a decent cabbie that used to take me to the airport. It was the same guy every time and recognized my number before I called but I always had to call the night before to reserve him for my early flights. Not sure if Uber will be around when I need to be picked up at 4:30am for my 6am flights.

my experience has been that they are still quicker and more reliable even at odd hours.

Uber destroys the taxi business everywhere they are. I was in NF, ON for Pats weekend and my friends and I used Uber all night. So convenient and cheap compared to taxi fares. But we could see taxis cluster unused outside of bars while people climbed into Ubers. Can't help to feel bad for people just trying to earn a living.

Let's be frank. Taxis haven't changed since the 50's. You call and wait, or you wave hoping to flag one. The fact you can see where your Uber is on your phone, and pay automatically are HUGE advantages that taxis never bothered to adopt because they never had competition. But let's also be realistic. Once taxis go away, Ubers or Lyfts are going to skyrocket in price. At least they will be convenient.

Well computers also destroyed the typewriter business.

Life goes on.

Video killed the radio star

Edited by /dev/null

You mean just like getting into a cab?

Yah... But with a chauffer's license, a vehicle number, Photograph and ID of the driver posted on the dash, a phone number of a dispatcher to call if the guy harms you in any way, and Proof of proper insurance clipped to the sun visor.... -I DO NOT Uber, and won't be anytime soon... Their BS disclaimer says it all...

UBER DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY, SUITABILITY, SAFETY OR ABILITY OF THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS. YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND ANY SERVICE OR GOOD REQUESTED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, REMAINS SOLELY WITH YOU, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

And..

UBER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING … PERSONAL INJURY, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE RELATED TO, IN CONNECTION WITH, OR OTHERWISE RESULTING FROM ANY USE OF THE SERVICES, EVEN IF UBER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Edited by #34fan

#34fan, feel free to not use Uber. No one is asking you to. Disclaimers can be a silly thing. I signed one before skydiving saying I could not sue them under any circumstances, and if I did I had to pay all their legal expenses, and if I won anything at trial, they were entitled to all funds due. My family had a great experience and we're glad we did it. We survived skydiving, I think I'll make into Buckhead and return safer than if I tried it with a few drinks in me. I'm not the overly litigious type always focused on what if....

Edited by Augie

Yah... But with a chauffer's license, a vehicle number, Photograph and ID of the driver posted on the dash, a phone number of a dispatcher to call if the guy harms you in any way, and Proof of proper insurance clipped to the sun visor.... -I DO NOT Uber, and won't be anytime soon... Their BS disclaimer says it all...

Is there some specific situation that worries you that taxis would have some demonstrably better safe guard?

Ride share requires higher vehicle standards than cabs in many cities. The driver ID on the dashboard is delivered right to your phone along with vehicle model and license plate. The constant review process is a built in safeguarding that cabs don't have. Could something go bad? Sure. In extensive experience across each my ride share rides have almost universally had better cars, friendlier drivers, safer drivers, and so on...

I've had this discussion a ton of times and almost any situation brought up comes out in the rideshares favor for safety.

To be fair, livery service is excluded from many insurance policies meaning an Uber driver in not fully insured without a rider (as I understand it.). I'm not sure of the details, and I still use Uber when the occasion calls for it.

Is there some specific situation that worries you that taxis would have some demonstrably better safe guard?

Ride share requires higher vehicle standards than cabs in many cities. The driver ID on the dashboard is delivered right to your phone along with vehicle model and license plate. The constant review process is a built in safeguarding that cabs don't have. Could something go bad? Sure. In extensive experience across each my ride share rides have almost universally had better cars, friendlier drivers, safer drivers, and so on...

I've had this discussion a ton of times and almost any situation brought up comes out in the rideshares favor for safety.

Rapes, assaults, Hammer attacks, Robberies... In London alone there were 32 incidents of sexual assaults by Uber drivers in ONE YEAR!

Keep your friggin' cookies and snacks... I got plenty at the house... I'll suffer the markup of a shady cabby a thousand times, before risking my life in some weirdo's car.