Facebook

Ice bowl 67

couple of years old but...but still good

"I learn to like people i don't know on Twitter, and dislike people i do know on Facebook"

I have stayed off Facebook for several reasons, but the overarching reason i just could not take how perfect everyone's kids, and lives were.

Whats funny is the teenagers of today know its a made up, alternate reality and pay it no mind, it's the adults who can't separate fact and fiction and get all would up over it.

Every word of your post is how I feel. There are so many people I thought of in a positive way that I am friends or see them in my feed on Facebook - and think they are just stupid. I didn't realize how stupid everybody was! Passing along memes and articles that anybody with a brain would know is made up, etc.

And, the perfect kids - ugh!!!.........And, then I talk to somebody in real life, and the same kids have issues galore!

Everybody has beautiful kids and beautiful families if you read the comments. I saw on twitter some girl saying if you're having a bad day, have your mom post a halfway decent photo of you on Facebook and read the comments.

This election has put the stupid into overdrive!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i generally stay away from Facebook© but got back into it shortly before the election to do some trolling and after i've just been sitting back enjoying the meltdown. well okay, i do kinda nudge it every once in a while.

Sounds like you have a very fulfilling life.

I never really use Facebook and I especially avoid it during election time. I don't care who people vote for and it can just divide people who are your friends. People get so worked over politicians who basically will have no impact on your life.

Sounds like you have a very fulfilling life.

I never really use Facebook and I especially avoid it during election time. I don't care who people vote for and it can just divide people who are your friends. People get so worked over politicians who basically will have no impact on your life.

Exactly.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/07/24/486941582/the-reason-your-feed-became-an-echo-chamber-and-what-to-do-about-it

One way to get on the same page? Maybe it's time to get off social media, Demby said — at least for a little bit.

"You would think that social media would bridge a bunch of divides, right?" Demby said. "But maybe the ideal way these conversations need to happen is one-on-one with people who are equally vested in the relationship between the two people."

Still, Pariser says, you can try to beat the algorithms to see the other side. Just make sure you actually want to read those opposite viewpoints, because the algorithms can tell when you don't.

You can set up categories of certain feeds you want to follow and those will be the only ones that come up. I have:

Food feed which brings up only the restaurants, Chefs, food magazines that I follow

Music feed which only brings up musicians and bands I follow

Horror Sci-Fi feeds which brings up only posts by things like Poe, Lovecraft, Hammer Films etc.

This is the best way to use FB that way you don't get all the crap that's being going on. And hell there's been crap on FB since day one.

shouldn't you be posting this on the Raider's site?

You can set up categories of certain feeds you want to follow and those will be the only ones that come up. I have:

Food feed which brings up only the restaurants, Chefs, food magazines that I follow

Music feed which only brings up musicians and bands I follow

Horror Sci-Fi feeds which brings up only posts by things like Poe, Lovecraft, Hammer Films etc.

This is the best way to use FB that way you don't get all the crap that's being going on. And hell there's been crap on FB since day one.

I'm not on Facebook. Retired from it four years ago.

Got sick of seeing people's kids. Some people post so much crap about their kids you feel like grandparents and obliged to send them cards at the holidays.

I think Facebook would be a lot more civil if you were forced to break bread with each one of your "friends" every year.

Edited by dpberr

I'm not on Facebook. Retired from it four years ago.

Got sick of seeing people's kids. Some people post so much crap about their kids you feel like grandparents and obliged to send them cards at the holidays.

I think Facebook would be a lot more civil if you were forced to break bed with each one of your "friends" every year.

Hmmm. I have some friends on FB I'd love to break bed with. :devil:

For those of you who still have Facebook accounts and use them, the sooner you remove yourself from there and remove your account - the sooner you will realize how much better your life is without it.

100% disagree. It's all how you use it. See my post above. Now that I follow only specific feeds I'm seeing lots of posts that normally don't hit my regular feed for whatever reason. For example I just found out my favorite band has just announced their west coast tour dates and that pre-sale tix go on sale Thursday. Without FB I wouldn't know that. I follow Bob Marley so I just got this gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8BFYE1RRzk#t=65

that might work for you, but it sure as hell wouldn't work for me. I enjoy 90% of the interactions i have on facebook, the other 10% I ignore or try to see if there is any value in re-evaluating my original thought.

For those of you who still have Facebook accounts and use them, the sooner you remove yourself from there and remove your account - the sooner you will realize how much better your life is without it.

The Facebook news feed is little more than a bunch of people who aren't nearly as smart or as funny as they think they are, posting a bunch of nonsense that isn't nearly as intelligent as they think it is. I don't care where you're checking-in, I don't care what you're eating, I don't care who you're with, how happy/hungry/sad/angry you are, and I certainly don't care at all what you think of anything remotely related to politics.

The Facebook news feed is little more than a bunch of people who aren't nearly as smart or as funny as they think they are, posting a bunch of nonsense that isn't nearly as intelligent as they think it is. I don't care where you're checking-in, I don't care what you're eating, I don't care who you're with, how happy/hungry/sad/angry you are, and I certainly don't care at all what you think of anything remotely related to politics.

Yes but it's where you get introduced to these types of things.

And yet, you're on PPP.

Crazy, crazy world...

Yes but it's where you get introduced to these types of things.

That was awesome! The guy plays a shovel better than a lot of guitarists play the guitar. :lol:

And yet, you're on PPP.

Crazy, crazy world...

Even PPP doesn't come close to the level of politically - inspired hysteria that still pollutes facebook.

But you've got a point.

Edited by Azalin

FB was insane for the past year. I refuse to post anything until election day. All I said was we all lose and Bernie should have been the choice of the Dems. Who attacks me? Not any of my right wing friends. My own sisters who slam me for not supporting Hilary. I talked to one of them last weekend. I told you so never felt so good.