First Cleveland, Now the Cubs.....

chaccof

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started watching the game last night just because nothing else was on. I'm not a baseball guy, I've probably watched no more than 2-3 innings at once. I was absolutely captivated, I was drawn in by the sheer theatre of what it would mean to both sides if they won. I stuck around until the rain delay and fell asleep. Woke up again to see the final out. We're talking like 4am here when the rain came.

Just watching the celebrations, I started to imagine what a Super Bowl or a Stanley Cup would mean to Buffalo. If ever a city deserved that kind of success, I think it's Buffalo. As section122 said, something like a Bills/Vikings SB would just be the epitome of romance in sport. Sometimes I think the stars align to make something as meaningless as sports become the centre of the universe, even just for a night.

I'd bet on the Buffalo Braves-San Diego Conquistadors-LA Clippers getting a ring before the Bills. Somehow I wouldn't find that terribly satisfying though.

San Diego Clippers. The Q's were in the ABA. But you're probably right with your bet.

We will never win with a mediocre QB. We might sneak into the playoffs one of these years but let's get serious, we will never be a contender. You are nothing in football without a QB much like how you are nothing in baseball without pitchers. The Cubs won with great pitching. Cleveland won in basketball with one of the best players of all time. We have nothing we are still a loooong ways off

When Theo joined the Cubs he asked fans to be patient so his plan had time to work. I could only imagine how that speech would go over here.

The difference being that Theo had a clear plan that smart baseball people thought could work and then he went out and executed it. Every move he made was calculated and smart. Since Theo took over the Cubs, they have been arguably the most forward thinking organization in baseball. They have taken advantage of the system of team building in every possible way. They are a horrible analogy for the current state of the Bills in which every move they make is typically panned by the knowledgeable football media.

Objectively, the Cubs winning the World Series was inevitable. They are well run, wealthy organization who made a series of smart and calculated moves to arrive where they are now. They are the Seahawks in the NFL.

The Bills winning with their current organizational structure is more like the White Sox winning in 2005. Pure !@#$ing luck.

And the Cleveland model for the Bills would if somehow Tom Brady found out that he was born and raised in Buffalo and his memory wiped by Belichek when he was in college.

Now that Cleveland got their championship over the summer, who takes the reign of most tortured sports city...Buffalo or San Diego??

By may calculations, it's Buffalo by a year if you don't count AFL titles but start with the AFL-NFL merger year.

Bills 48 years, Sabres 46 years, Braves 8 years = 102

Chargers 48 years, Padres 47 years, Clippers 6 years = 101

However, if you count the AFL titles as the equivalent of winning a Super Bowl, it becomes Buffalo 105 years, San Diego 106 years without a championship.