Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

Hmmm...seems like the Chancellor, Kent Syverud, changed his stance on Boeheim in the wake of Hop jumping ship. I had heard from 2 different people that JB had previously requested a contract extension and was denied by Kent. Glad to learn GMac is staying put. Perhaps he had an offer on the table at Washington and decided to stay after Boeheim was extended? Who knows...

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering if JB wanted to stay, and Hopkins left so it wouldn't be an awkward situation with Kent effectively forcing him out. Maybe JB sticks for 4 more years, hangs it up on his own terms, and then Hop comes back then.

Edit: from espn, this seems to confirm the above:

One of the reasons Hopkins left, sources told ESPN, was to relieve Boeheim of the pressure of having to retire. Hopkins had a contract that stated he was set to take over after the 2017-18 season.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

I am wondering if JB wanted to stay, and Hopkins left so it wouldn't be an awkward situation with Kent effectively forcing him out. Maybe JB sticks for 4 more years, hangs it up on his own terms, and then Hop comes back then.

Edit: from espn, this seems to confirm the above:

One of the reasons Hopkins left, sources told ESPN, was to relieve Boeheim of the pressure of having to retire. Hopkins had a contract that stated he was set to take over after the 2017-18 season.

Quite possibly true, but I wonder about the rumors surrounding the recruiting disagreements between JB and Hop. There also was an alleged disagreement between the two about how to handle the "Howard situation." Hop wanted him gone...JB overruled. But again...who knows.

I think this is a good move for Hopkins. Gives him time to establish himself out of JB's shadow.

The pressure to win is going to be great after Boeheim.

Never follow a legend. It won't be easy for anyone who comes next.

I think this is a good move for Hopkins. Gives him time to establish himself out of JB's shadow.

The pressure to win is going to be great after Boeheim.

Never follow a legend. It won't be easy for anyone who comes next.

Hop deserves better and I wish him well. It appears that he got a total screw job by Syracuse University, landed nicely on his feet in a very good situation, and is behaving like a classy individual...as always. Great recruitor, and I hope he is an even better HC (as long as Wash is not playing SU). Get 'em Hop.

What's the use of naming a coach in waiting if it really doesn't matter.

Because the university was fully planning on Hop being the HC after next season when the decision was announced. Hop was squeezed out. There is a great deal of "information" flying around now as to how and why this happened, but based on what I have heard, I sincerely believe Hop fully expected to be the next HC of Syracuse.

keep passing along whatever you hear. I have heard more than once, John Belein's name....can't we please get away from the consecutive vowels names(ei, ie)???? Can't imagine syracuse is a step up from michigan/big 10, despite his roots in the area

Because the university was fully planning on Hop being the HC after next season when the decision was announced. Hop was squeezed out. There is a great deal of "information" flying around now as to how and why this happened, but based on what I have heard, I sincerely believe Hop fully expected to be the next HC of Syracuse.

I think Hop was a great recruiter but wasn't too sure about his coaching acumen, and with how built up our program is, we should be able to lure a big name coach when JB decides to hang em up. Unless JB insists we hire someone who will run his 2-3 zone after him

He needs another year

post-307-0-57727400-1490033314_thumb.jpg

Brent Axe Retweeted Jon Rothstein

That didn't take long.

Brent Axe added,

Jon RothsteinVerified account @JonRothstein
Syracuse's Tyler Lydon will sign with an agent and enter the 2017 NBA Draft, per multiple sources.
1 reply0 retweets2 likes
Retweet
Edited by The Poojer

He needs another year

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

That didn't take long.

Brent Axe added,

Syracuse's Tyler Lydon will sign with an agent and enter the 2017 NBA Draft, per multiple sources.
1 reply0 retweets2 likes
Retweet

Geez. He needs another 2 years. He's not D-League ready, IMO. I don't get why he signed with an agent too. Loses all flexibility.

he's listed as a power forward and i just don't see the skill set even being close to some of the starters in the league, AD, Kristop, Dario etc...hell, even the small forwards are completely out of his current league....i guess my hope is he plays for against the 87ers in Delaware so i get the opportunity to see him, cus i sure as hell won't be seeing him the Wells Fargo anytime soon

Geez. He needs another 2 years. He's not D-League ready, IMO. I don't get why he signed with an agent too. Loses all flexibility.

He informed his team in the locker room after the Ole Miss game. I have eluded to the "toxicity" that has existed behind the scenes not only between the players, but between the coaching staff. This is one of the main reasons Tyler is leaving. If he could play right away elsewhere, I think he would transfer. Shame.

do you get the sense that this is mostly on Boeheim? I can't believe that someone in his position would be that 'pigheaded' to throw his hall of fame career down the drain, or is this something maybe where Hop might have pushed the limits too much and possible stepped over the line?

He informed his team in the locker room after the Ole Miss game. I have eluded to the "toxicity" that has existed behind the scenes not only between the players, but between the coaching staff. This is one of the main reasons Tyler is leaving. If he could play right away elsewhere, I think he would transfer. Shame.

do you get the sense that this is mostly on Boeheim? I can't believe that someone in his position would be that 'pigheaded' to throw his hall of fame career down the drain, or is this something maybe where Hop might have pushed the limits too much and possible stepped over the line?

The situation between JB and Hop, from what I can gather, was that Hop felt that JB should have been giving him more latitude in making decisions that would affect the roster for the next few seasons. I mentioned the 2 JUCO transfers that Hop wanted to offer, but was overruled by Boeheim. There also was the situation with Frank Howard. Hop went to the AD and Chancellor and wanted him off the team. JB then went to bat and overruled. Hop took offense. It is my understanding their relationship has been strained for a while now.

He needs another year

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

That didn't take long.

Brent Axe added,

1 reply0 retweets2 likes
Retweet

Noooooo say it aint so! Way to ruin my day............

The situation between JB and Hop, from what I can gather, was that Hop felt that JB should have been giving him more latitude in making decisions that would affect the roster for the next few seasons. I mentioned the 2 JUCO transfers that Hop wanted to offer, but was overruled by Boeheim. There also was the situation with Frank Howard. Hop went to the AD and Chancellor and wanted him off the team. JB then went to bat and overruled. Hop took offense. It is my understanding their relationship has been strained for a while now.

Why did he want Howard off the team?

The whole idea was stupid to begin with

It seems like it to me. Having an heir apparent is fine, but why announce it and look stupid? I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to a big time football program in recent years, but can't remember which one.

I would think he would - since it was already announced!

keep passing along whatever you hear. I have heard more than once, John Belein's name....can't we please get away from the consecutive vowels names(ei, ie)???? Can't imagine syracuse is a step up from michigan/big 10, despite his roots in the area

On the bright side, you can just keep saying JB this and JB that!

He needs to suck it up. He is throwing away any chance at being a legit NBA player by leaving now. I am willing to bet that he goes late 2nd round or not at all. why not grit out another year at SU?

He needs to suck it up. He is throwing away any chance at being a legit NBA player by leaving now. I am willing to bet that he goes late 2nd round or not at all. why not grit out another year at SU?

When they do the pre-combine thing they usually give them a grade, if he gets a 2nd round grade I imagine he wouldn't go pro (or since he signed with an agent does that mean he cant return? I am not sure if they changed that rule)

signing with an agent means he's done in the college world

When they do the pre-combine thing they usually give them a grade, if he gets a 2nd round grade I imagine he wouldn't go pro (or since he signed with an agent does that mean he cant return? I am not sure if they changed that rule)

All of the mock drafts I've looked at have him going late 1st round. I know he digressed down the stretched this season, but do you think he fell that far?

I look at a young player like Dario Saric who is very similar in size and stature to Lydon, and Lydon is no where near the talent level Saric has. I know the league exists with players that are less talented, but Dario is my current benchmark for comparison

All of the mock drafts I've looked at have him going late 1st round. I know he digressed down the stretched this season, but do you think he fell that far?

I look at a young player like Dario Saric who is very similar in size and stature to Lydon, and Lydon is no where near the talent level Saric has. I know the league exists with players that are less talented, but Dario is my current benchmark for comparison

what I found to be really troubling about Lydon this year was how long it took him to get his shot off. His stroke was really deliberate and slow-- frankly, looks like my old man shot. That is not going to fly in the NBA.

I just got a text from a friend on the hill, and they said that after the Miami loss in Brooklyn Tyler rode home with his parents and not with his teammates on the bus. Really pissed off his teammates and coaches. Said he has been "checked out" for some time now, and was leaving regardless. Was not really speaking to his teammates during the NIT, and had a particular "beef" with John Gillon for some reason.

I'll share more as it comes out. I'm trying to get more info on JB and Hop.

I just got a text from a friend on the hill, and they said that after the Miami loss in Brooklyn Tyler rode home with his parents and not with his teammates on the bus. Really pissed off his teammates and coaches. Said he has been "checked out" for some time now, and was leaving regardless. Was not really speaking to his teammates during the NIT, and had a particular "beef" with John Gillon for some reason.

I'll share more as it comes out. I'm trying to get more info on JB and Hop.

Well he certainly seemed disinterested most of the year, not really the best way to act if you are leaving imo

So much to digest...

Sat Courtside on Saturday, my bald spot spent a lot of time on the jumbo tron lol. They had free bloody marys which I got into and was warned by a security guard to "calm down it's the NIT" lmao.

I don't know how I feel about Hop leaving. He wasn't good during Jimmy's suspension at all and I became nervous about his ability to lead the team. He is the polar opposite of Jimmy and did a lot of smoothing over Jimmy's penchant for having whipping boys. I wonder who will take on that role now.

I'm nervous about Jimmy staying. It seems HE has been checked out for a while now and at 73 I have to wonder how much gas he has left in the tank and how well he can connect with this generation of players.

Lydon is an idiot. How many times do kids need to see someone from SU jump early and fail. What in the world makes him think this is the move? His team wasn't good this year with him as one of the leaders and he would disappear during games. He should have used SU for the education and hoped to become a Kaminsky type player that ends up being a lottery pick. As it is now I don't see him making it in the NBA. Signing with an agent is dumb. Removing even the option to return if he calms down or realizes everything I just typed.

I think we are headed for some dark days unfortunately. If they can pry Bielein away I will be very happy as I think he is an uderrated coach. That is about the best they can hope for. Who are even the hot names in the college ranks right now? None of the big guys are coming so we will be pinning hopes on a Shaka Smart type hire most likely.

Who steps up next year? It will be Battle and Thompson's team if they stay. I like that combo but the rest of the team really needs to be built up. I hope they do but I can see Battle going. Thompson I think will stay as he needs to grow physically still to compete in the NBA. Lydon is making a terrible decision...

what I found to be really troubling about Lydon this year was how long it took him to get his shot off. His stroke was really deliberate and slow-- frankly, looks like my old man shot. That is not going to fly in the NBA.

Tough to play the 4 in the NBA without any semblance of a post game. And you're right, he is going to have a lot of trouble getting his shots off at the next level. His release is very slow. If he were smart, he would stay and get that piece of paper from Syracuse because I don't see him making it in the NBA as the player he is today. I think he will get drafted at the end of the first round, but no way he makes a NBA roster, IMO.

Contrary to most, I don't think Lyndon can improve his stock. He would have best been served to leave after his frosh year. He reminds me of the Keith Van Horn or Adam Morrison, guys that eat up college competition but get swallowed whole by NBA athletes.

If he gets drafted anywhere in the first round it's the right decision for him. Guaranteed $2 mil. If NBA doesn't work out, he can go play in Europe. Finish school after he's done playing ball and has some money in the bank.

I'm certain that Tyler Ennis doesn't regret the $5 mil he's going to have made by the end of this year. Also pretty sure Malachi doesn't mind getting paid to play NBA ball right now either.

Interesting how poorly our big men have been developed since Bernie Fine left. Remember how bad Rick Jackson was, and he was turned into a more than serviceable center. Tons of examples. Since that "Fine mess" I feel like the coaching/development of our big guys has sucked.

I think Christmas was the last guy who really developed

Tough to play the 4 in the NBA without any semblance of a post game. And you're right, he is going to have a lot of trouble getting his shots off at the next level. His release is very slow. If he were smart, he would stay and get that piece of paper from Syracuse because I don't see him making it in the NBA as the player he is today. I think he will get drafted at the end of the first round, but no way he makes a NBA roster, IMO.

There was an article in SI this week about the demise of the post game. There are only three schools of the 68 that use it (but, I think IIRC all three made it to the 16 - Gonzaga for sure, I think it was Purdue, and I can't remember the third)............And, it said it was even lower in the NBA.

Reading it through the eyes of a Bona fan, I was thinking what bad timing it is for Andrew Nicholson, who has an amazing post game with great footwork.