Lets clear up some minsconceptions about this offense

I'd like to think that this stat, our lack of YAC, and our inept two minute drill hold more water about our passing game than any other nonsense that tries to fluff them up.

In all three losses we were down late, had a crucial drive or two that NEEDED conversions, and we crumbled. I don't know who to blame, the college offense style, or the QB that panics if his first read isn't open and refuses to throw passes to lead his receiver.

This offense boils down to this:

If we run well, we have a chance to win. If we don't, we lose. There is no in between.

This is exactly right and really can't be said any better.

This is a one-dimensional offense that only works if the run game is working well. In the four games won the Bills ran very well and in the three loses they didn't run well.

The defense can't win games on its own as we have seen against the Jets and Dolphins as the longer they are on the field the more big plays they give up. This kind of supports the idea of switching from Schwartz's 4-3 to Ryan's 3-4 was a waste of time, energy and draft picks. Especially considering the offense could have used a boost in the WR, the RB and right side of the O-line dept this year.

This team can win a bunch of games each if everyone can stay healthy! The problem is this franchise hasn't been able to stay healthy at so many positions over the last decade and it certainly doesn't help that the team keeps obtaining players with injury issues.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

College success means very little in the NFL.

Your video shows that Tyrod was good throwing over the middle against defenses made up of college kids who, for the most part, couldn't even get a sniff of the NFL.

Since he's been in the NFL, he has not been good at throwing over the middle. I'm sure if he was still at VT, he'd be great.

College vs. NFL has zero to do with throwing over the middle (specifically) and you know it. You are just making things up because you don't like the guy.

It is harder to do everything successfully in the NFL. Why would it be just specifically harder throwing over the middle. Total nonsense and you know it.

Edited by PolishDave

Right. Or how about the drives where TT keeps the play alive and makes a completion or scrambles for a 1st down? Those drives do exist. You wont go to hell if you acknowledge it lol. =)

Yes they do but my point remains

And when woods drops a ball right on his hands with no defender around him? Or goodwin is wide open and catches the ball with one foot out of bounds bc he has zero field awareness? And when Clay is unable to run over a DB to get a 1st down?

Yes TT needs to improve much the same way his WR/TE need to improve.

I bet he doesnt drop as much as you think i will post that chart too when i get to my office in about 30 min

If we rank #8 in the NFL at drives of 10 plays or more then that means we are routinely doing it more often than the majority of the league.

I agree we have to reduce 3 and outs. Sometimes it seems as if some drives have absolutley zero flow. I think its a combination of poor play calling and poor execution.

Some drives it seems like the offense hasnt practiced in weeks. Other drives the offense looks pretty impressive.

Yes fluffeed up becayse of San Fran how many in MIA

College vs. NFL has zero to do with throwing over the middle (specifically) and you know it. You are just making things up because you don't like the guy.

It is harder to do everything successfully in the NFL. Why would it be just specifically harder throwing over the middle. Total nonsense and you know it.

You're being silly.

The difference between college defenses and NFL defenses is colossal.

He doesn't do anything as well in the NFL as he did in college. Not just throwing over the middle.

Lastly, I don't dislike the guy. I just think he's nothing more than an NFL backup. And that's okay. Unless he's the !@#$ing starter for the Bills.

It is much harder throwing over the middle in NFL because of the tight windows

It's feast or famine when the Bills O gets the ball.

Simplifying, either a big play helps us get points on the board or we go three and out.

While we're 10th in points per drive, we're only 25th in yards per drive.

And we're losing the battle of field position: giving up 2.5 more yards per drive than we're gaining.

We're good enough on both sides of the ball to be 4-3 but we need to get better. Losing all our opening day WRs to injury doesn't help.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

Agreed.

In general, the middle of the field will tend to be more difficult for everyone because of the amount of traffic.

With sideline patterns--provided the QB has the arm strength to drive the ball to the boundary--there's no danger to overthrowing the ball. The sideline gives the QB a "safe space" where there's no negative impact.

Because Tyrod is short, in a league of athletic linemen who are well over 6 feet tall and trained to batt down the ball. Maybe Drew Brees has learned to deal with being only 6' tall, but Tyrod has not.

Bills have logged a total of 4 drops.

Ok here is the WRs that actually dropped a pass and their drop rate for the Bills WRs.

Woods - TGTs (37), Catches (25), Drops (2), Drop % (5.4%)

Powell - TGTs (15), Catches (9), Drops (1), Drop % (6.7%)

Watkins - TGTs (11), Catches (6), Drops (1), Drop % (9.1%)

All others have not logged a drop according to these people that log this unofficial stat.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

Tyrod Taylor is ranked as having the 9th lowest drop rate by his WRs.

4 drops out of 192 attempts - with a 2.08% drop rate effecting him.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/dropped-passes-by-quarterback/2016/

Edited by MAJBobby

Bills have logged a total of 4 drops.

Ok here is the WRs that actually dropped a pass and their drop rate for the Bills WRs.

Woods - TGTs (37), Catches (25), Drops (2), Drop % (5.4%)

Powell - TGTs (15), Catches (9), Drops (1), Drop % (6.7%)

Watkins - TGTs (11), Catches (6), Drops (1), Drop % (9.1%)

All others have not logged a drop according to these people that log this unofficial stat.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

Tyrod Taylor is ranked as having the 9th lowest drop rate by his WRs.

4 drops out of 192 attempts - with a 2.08% drop rate effecting him.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/dropped-passes-by-quarterback/2016/

How do they equate drops? Anything that touches there hands or a perfect pass that's dropped?

WHOA WHOA WHOA

zcbg9Gu.png

Want to know why a 200 pound back had a day?

Are we still having difficulty with the idea of complementary football?

Why did they punt when they were on the 40 of the Phins in the second quarter (if I did my math right start at the 18 and gained 42 yard means they were at the 40) isn't that a spot on the field you go for it?

Every pass is harder to make in the NFL. Now you are trying to make a point that passing over the middle is something you have to have a special talent for because it is harder to do in the NFL but other passes aren't. You are just making things up so you don't have to admit you are just flat out wrong. I love it. Keep up the crusade. You just can't let it go can you?

Because Tyrod is short, in a league of athletic linemen who are well over 6 feet tall and trained to batt down the ball. Maybe Drew Brees has learned to deal with being only 6' tall, but Tyrod has not.

Russell Wilson and Drew Brees both disagree with you. And they are both shorter than Tyrod. Or I guess maybe you guys want to believe the height thing ONLY applies to Tyrod for some reason. It is a ridiculous argument. The guy isn't a midget. He's 6' 1" FFS.

Why did they punt when they were on the 40 of the Phins in the second quarter (if I did my math right start at the 18 and gained 42 yard means they were at the 40) isn't that a spot on the field you go for it?

That's no. 1001 on the list of 1000 things that could have turned this game around.

Jets may have been a one score game, but it was NEVER that close.

Both Jets game and Dolphins game we could have won by recovering an onside kick and scoring. Long odds for sure but I contest these games there was no garbage time as there still was a chance to win albeit small.

This offense is pretty damn good. Over the last 2 seasons, by any significant statistical measure, this offense either ranks around the middle of the pack, or near the top, depending on what you're looking at.

As we all know, in 2015, this offense was #1 in the NFL in "big plays" (Big plays are categorized as rushing plays that are over 10 yards and passing plays that are over 25 yards) with a big play percentage of 10.04%.

In 2016, so far the Bills are #2 in the NFL in big plays with a Big Play % of 10.19%. So as an offense, we're technically doing even better so far than we did last year at producing big plays, which is significant when you consider Sammy has been out all year and we have nothing else at WR.

A big part of the reason our big plays are so high this year is a result of the rushing attack with 33 big play rushes, compared to 9 big play passes. In 2015 we had 70 big play rushes and 32 big play passes (the 32 big play passes ranked 12th highest in the NFL and the 70 big play rushes ranked #1 in the NFL).

So far in 2016, the Bills rank:

#12 in the NFL in Team Scoring Drive Efficiency (how often the offense is able to put points on the board)

#6 in points per game.

#8 in the NFL in drives of 10 plays or more before ending the drive with a score, turnover, or end of half/game.

#11 in QB rating in red zone.

#5 Red Zone scoring % (TD only)

#3 in TD/INT ratio.

#2 in rushing yards/game.

#1 in rushing yards/attempt

#1 in QB rushing yards

Three main areas we can still improve:

Passing yards per attempt, we are rank 27th. One caveat regarding this stat is that the Bills rank #18 in QB Air Yards which calculates how far the ball is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. So we just aren't getting yards after the catch basically when we do complete passes. Partly b/c of subpar throws at times, and partly b/c our WR just aren't good/explosive. The Bills rank dead last in the NFL in YAC.

We rank #24 in 3rd down conversion %. I would like this number to move up to at least around 15-18 in the NFL.

We rank #30 in sack percentage (the rate of QB sacks a team suffers for every pass attempt). ln other words, we're giving up too many sacks. All three phases are to blame here in my opinion: TT, O-line, WR's. They all need to improve.

So that pretty much sums up where we stand statistically on offense in the majority of statistically significant categories. There are areas we need to improve, but overall, this offense is a GOOD offense. I can't wait to see Sammy and Shady play an entire season together. Hopefully it'll happen one day.

Go BILLS!

Also were are you pulling your stats from?

Both Jets game and Dolphins game we could have won by recovering an onside kick and scoring. Long odds for sure but I contest these games there was no garbage time as there still was a chance to win albeit small.

I'm not really into the granular definitions of garbage time vs. non garbage time. I don't think that's relevant, anyway.

Bottom line is we spent all of both games getting our butts handed to us long before we made an onside kick recovery something that mattered.

Lol hahaha.

Knew this was coming.

The Bills couldn't stop that 200 pound back from the moment the game started.

Stopped him from scoring.

But more importantly: do you understand the correlation that this demonstrated inability to produce on offense has to the defense?

eJTw7AF.png

is it really hard to piece together how one leads to the other?

The defense gave up ONE long drive in the second half.

The offense had 5 drives of three plays or less in the second half. Understood that one of them went for a TD. But it was a one play drive. And when the D had to go BACK on the field, then they coudln't get off.

Why is this very simple concept treated as raving lunacy around here?

Dolphins game was definetly garbage time. This isn't madden football where onside kicks work