Lets clear up some minsconceptions about this offense

Agreed and YAC hangs on the qb getting the ball to the receiver in areas where he can make plays. Charles Clay in the Miami game was wide open and could have had like 39 YAC yards but the throw was behind him.

And when woods drops a ball right on his hands with no defender around him? Or goodwin is wide open and catches the ball with one foot out of bounds bc he has zero field awareness? And when Clay is unable to run over a DB to get a 1st down?

Yes TT needs to improve much the same way his WR/TE need to improve.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 and outs need improvement. But its also give and take - we have more 3 and outs but very few offensive turnovers.

Also, look where we rank in drives of 10 plays or more: we are top 10. So we do sustain drives.

But yeh, we do need to reduce 3 and outs.

Drives are nice but if you are settling for FG instead of TD against the Big Bens,Rogers, Brady's of the NFL your team will lose. Drives are nice but when facing ELITE QBs (2 of which you will face) you have to finish the drive.

Drives are nice but if you are settling for FG instead of TD against the Big Bens,Rogers, Brady's of the NFL your team will lose. Drives are nice but when facing ELITE QBs (2 of which you will face) you have to finish the drive.

We rank #5 in the NFL in Red Zone scoring % (TD's only).

So....are you just upset about the last game or the team overall

Now im confused

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016//passing.htm

185 ypg beating ONE qb in the whole league.

Down from last years torrid 216.

Everything is fine, it worked for Trent Dilfer.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The offense tends to score too quickly, which makes the defense tired.

Or something...

The only game the Bills have played that you can say they put up some "garbage time" stats was last week vs. the Dolphins. The ravens loss was a close loss; the Jets was also a one score game; even the Dolphins last week ended up in a one score game, but the game was already decided in reality hence garbage time stats I guess.

We haven't played a team where we're losing by 20 and they're going strictly into prevent defense and we just rack up yards/stats.

How were those garbage time stats? Garbage time is when a team scores meaningless points after falling hopelessly behind, typically in a blowout loss.

The Bills were still in the lead with under 8 minutes left to play in the 4th Q!

They scored 8 to pull within 3 with 14 seconds left for a desperate onside kick situation, but still...how can anyone call these garbage time points?

The offense tends to score too quickly, which makes the defense tired.

Or something...

How were those garbage time stats? Garbage time is when a team scores meaningless points after falling hopelessly behind, typically in a blowout loss.

The Bills were still in the lead with under 8 minutes left to play in the 4th Q!

They scored 8 to pull within 3 with 14 seconds left for a desperate onside kick situation, but still...how can anyone call these garbage time points?

I agree with you but I'm giving the garbage time crowd the benefit of the doubt in that game.

The issue with a Big play offense like we have is you cant close out games. The reality is Sunday if the ream could have put together one 10 play 5-7 min drive in the second half we win.

It routinely cant do that and this week it came to bite us. We have a HUGE 3 and out and 6 and out rate.

The issue with a Big play offense like we have is you cant close out games. The reality is Sunday if the ream could have put together one 10 play 5-7 min drive in the second half we win.

It routinely cant do that and this week it came to bite us. We have a HUGE 3 and out and 6 and out rate.

If we rank #8 in the NFL at drives of 10 plays or more then that means we are routinely doing it more often than the majority of the league.

I agree we have to reduce 3 and outs. Sometimes it seems as if some drives have absolutley zero flow. I think its a combination of poor play calling and poor execution.

Some drives it seems like the offense hasnt practiced in weeks. Other drives the offense looks pretty impressive.

If we rank #8 in the NFL at drives of 10 plays or more then that means we are routinely doing it more often than the majority of the league.

I agree we have to reduce 3 and outs. Sometimes it seems as if some drives have absolutley zero flow. I think its a combination of poor play calling and poor execution.

Not all 10 play drives are similar.

Did you see MIA trying to close out game and still snapping with 8 seconds ish on playclock

Also look at those 10 play drives we do get. 2 yards, INC shady does something shady does and rips off 12.

There is no consistency in this offense it is a big play or famine

Not all 10 play drives are similar.

Did you see MIA trying to close out game and still snapping with 8 seconds ish on playclock

Also look at those 10 play drives we do get. 2 yards, INC shady does something shady does and rips off 12.

There is no consistency in this offense it is a big play or famine

Right. Or how about the drives where TT keeps the play alive and makes a completion or scrambles for a 1st down? Those drives do exist. You wont go to hell if you acknowledge it lol. =)

To say it is a big play or famine is not accurate. Do we have a lot of 3 and outs? Yes. But do we also rank at the top of the NFL in sustained drives? Yes. To sit here and qualify exactly how we sustain those long drives is nonsensical.

Would we be better off if we had more drives with 2 first downs or 3 first downs but then we have to punt without points? That doesnt make sense at all bc no, we wouldnt be better off. Bc there are a buuunch of teams like that. But hey, we wouldnt be at the bottom in 3 and outs anymore.

I wonder how of of this is the play calling of Lynn...last week seemed so disjointed.

I think he tried to be cute to avoid using an injured Shady and got all befuddled even when the game was still in hand. The read option went for a TD, did we see it again? Mike G. seemed able to find space but they never gave him a chance to get going. Spotty carries and some sloppy wildcat look.

It was one of the games that even while we had a two score lead you could see the L from a mile away.

This offense is pretty damn good. Over the last 2 seasons, by any significant statistical measure, this offense either ranks around the middle of the pack, or near the top, depending on what you're looking at.

As we all know, in 2015, this offense was #1 in the NFL in "big plays" (Big plays are categorized as rushing plays that are over 10 yards and passing plays that are over 25 yards) with a big play percentage of 10.04%.

In 2016, so far the Bills are #2 in the NFL in big plays with a Big Play % of 10.19%. So as an offense, we're technically doing even better so far than we did last year at producing big plays, which is significant when you consider Sammy has been out all year and we have nothing else at WR.

A big part of the reason our big plays are so high this year is a result of the rushing attack with 33 big play rushes, compared to 9 big play passes. In 2015 we had 70 big play rushes and 32 big play passes (the 32 big play passes ranked 12th highest in the NFL and the 70 big play rushes ranked #1 in the NFL).

So far in 2016, the Bills rank:

#12 in the NFL in Team Scoring Drive Efficiency (how often the offense is able to put points on the board)

#6 in points per game.

#8 in the NFL in drives of 10 plays or more before ending the drive with a score, turnover, or end of half/game.

#11 in QB rating in red zone.

#5 Red Zone scoring % (TD only)

#3 in TD/INT ratio.

#2 in rushing yards/game.

#1 in rushing yards/attempt

#1 in QB rushing yards

Three main areas we can still improve:

Passing yards per attempt, we are rank 27th. One caveat regarding this stat is that the Bills rank #18 in QB Air Yards which calculates how far the ball is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. So we just aren't getting yards after the catch basically when we do complete passes. Partly b/c of subpar throws at times, and partly b/c our WR just aren't good/explosive. The Bills rank dead last in the NFL in YAC.

We rank #24 in 3rd down conversion %. I would like this number to move up to at least around 15-18 in the NFL.

We rank #30 in sack percentage (the rate of QB sacks a team suffers for every pass attempt). ln other words, we're giving up too many sacks. All three phases are to blame here in my opinion: TT, O-line, WR's. They all need to improve.

So that pretty much sums up where we stand statistically on offense in the majority of statistically significant categories. There are areas we need to improve, but overall, this offense is a GOOD offense. I can't wait to see Sammy and Shady play an entire season together. Hopefully it'll happen one day.

Go BILLS!

i agree the offense is good, and being held back by a guy that wont use the middle of the field. I will say that sunday in a loss to miami, tightwad was pretty good. He threw alot of middle routes and even a seam route to clay, first this year! If our running game and defense wasnt crap along with our oline being suddenly porous, we could have won easily. All we need is a good all around game with tightwad using the whole field and we are a top 5 offense.

I think he tried to be cute to avoid using an injured Shady and got all befuddled even when the game was still in hand. The read option went for a TD, did we see it again? Mike G. seemed able to find space but they never gave him a chance to get going. Spotty carries and some sloppy wildcat look.

It was one of the games that even while we had a two score lead you could see the L from a mile away.

I agree with the cute aspect vs the fins. I feel the coaching staff's mentality was oh we'll put shady back there as a decoy and never really use him.

We gave Shady a handful of carries and he was completely ineffective. The playcalling didnt seem as crisp and smooth as it normally does and there was little flow. It was just odd. I feel the offense wouldve been more in rhythm had Mike G just been the starter. When did Mike get his first carry in the 2nd quarter??

Edited by bobobonators

For those who say Tyrod can't throw over the middle:

I just found this video and it was published way before anybody here was talking about him not being capable/willing to throw over the middle.

http://youtu.be/hp7v0gr7RfM

Here is a link to watch it on Youtube - https://youtu.be/hp7v0gr7RfM

I just wanted to look at some college highlights to see if that was a consistency throughout his career.

I don't think he had one single sideline pass in this highlights video. They were ALL in the middle of the field.

So you tell me why he isn't using the middle of the field as much now as he was then?

Is it really because he is incapable of doing it? I doubt it. This question needs to be addressed with Rex and Lynn.

I really doubt it is Tyrod being scared to throw over the middle or Tyrod not being able to see over the middle. This video debunks those myths.

Edited by PolishDave

For those who say Tyrod can't throw over the middle:

I just found this video and it was published way before anybody here was talking about him not being capable/willing to throw over the middle.

http://youtu.be/hp7v0gr7RfM

Here is a link to watch it on Youtube - https://youtu.be/hp7v0gr7RfM

I just wanted to look at some college highlights to see if that was a consistency throughout his career.

I don't think he had one single sideline pass in this highlights video. They were ALL in the middle of the field.

So you tell me why he isn't using the middle of the field as much now as he was then?

Is it really because he is incapable of doing it? I doubt it. This question needs to be addressed with Rex and Lynn.

I really doubt it is Tyrod being scared to throw over the middle or Tyrod not being able to see over the middle. This video debunks those myths.

College success means very little in the NFL.

Your video shows that Tyrod was good throwing over the middle against defenses made up of college kids who, for the most part, couldn't even get a sniff of the NFL.

Since he's been in the NFL, he has not been good at throwing over the middle. I'm sure if he was still at VT, he'd be great.