The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it a bit easier to think about what needs to happen for us to be eliminated for good.

As far as I can tell, only three games (the three 8-6 teams) can directly eliminate us -- assuming we beat Miami:

Saturday

TEN-JAX and CIN-HOU: if both TEN and HOU win, we are out.

Sunday

BAL-PIT: If the Ravens win, we are out.

Otherwise, we are still barely alive in Week 17.

So if we win tomorrow afternoon, our fate could be in the hands of Tom Savage tomorrow night. Hope we get through the day alive and have the ability to root for the Steelers on Sunday. We did them a solid last year, so...

This is where I'm at as well. Survive Saturday and live to play another day. I for one am excited to be alive on Christmas Eve. I know the odds aren't great, but it's more fun when you have some chance.

How about we stop speculating? The problem is that we could have been in the playoffs this year. BUT Rex happened. we lost our games in the division, aside from the first NE game. If this team wants to ever make the playoffs, we need to rid ourselves of the problem of our coaching staff. Without two ugly losses, the Jets and Miami games, we could have been in the pic.

In other words, hoping every other team losses isn't a great scenario. We should have been in the playoffs without a doubt. Next time the FO needs to be held accountable. I feel bad for all the fans in Buffalo. The FO is sitting on wads of cash for 17 years without playoffs AND no progress. LOL. Fire the FO = problem solved. (hopefully)

You are correct on everything. (ESPN's Tiebreaker thing is broken.)

Now, regarding SOV, check out my post here: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/189315-the-afc-playoff-picture/page-29?do=findComment&comment=4169517

Per my bolded part in that post: PIT and SD losses, as well as CIN and JAX victories, will help BUF to win the SOV tiebreaker over Miami. BUF actually needs help from CIN and potentially JAX anyway to pass other teams in the hunt. So, I think that if we got to the point where it's just BUF and MIA in the 9-7 tiebreaker, those pieces would ensure our SOV to be higher.

Thank you, that explains it a bit better. I start to try to piece it together and add the numbers up, but I just finished school finally :w00t: and am shot right now with this kind of thinking haha.

Just for the record again, I don't care about the draft positioning between 7-9 and 9-7 and think it would mean a ton to the next coach to have this team finish strong, know how close they were to the playoffs, and have a realistic change to not play a snap eliminated from the post season, even if actually reaching the playoffs doesn't end up following the miracle script that we are now constrained to.

If the Pegulas could be swayed to keep or fire Rex based on that swing, that would be very unfortunate, because I think his last 30 games show he should not be back and cannot be an exceptional HC in the 2016+ world of football (I still wouldn't mind him in 2006 or 1996). But I assume he should be gone in either case, and if we just miss at 9-7 his sins for blowing it for this team are even more obvious, while 7-9 might be far enough away that Whaley takes the blame.

So go Bills, squish the fish, and let's have the Steelers, Jags, Bengals, Chiefs, and Raiders have a good day and let us enjoy the what ifs for another week before we switch to the off season coaching watch and draft planning.

C0NaitlXUAAEpNe.jpg

So even *if* the Bills hadn't folded on the Dolphins, we would need

Cleveland to beat Baltimore. Doubtful at best. The Brownies are coming off their "Super Bowl" hangover meanwhile Baltimore is playing for pride now that they're eliminated and facing 8-8 mediocrity (or a successful season thru some Bills fans perspectives)

Houston to beat Tennessee. Plausible, but Houston is locked into the #4 seed so they may just rest their starters.

New England to beat Miami. At face value the likely outcome. But NE has locked up the #1 seed and will most likely play their backups. Miami on the other hand would have been playing for their postseason lives

Cleveland to beat Baltimore. Doubtful at best. The Brownies are coming off their "Super Bowl" hangover meanwhile Baltimore is playing for pride now that they're eliminated and facing 8-8 mediocrity (or a successful season thru some Bills fans perspectives)

Houston to beat Tennessee. Plausible, but Houston is locked into the #4 seed so they may just rest their starters.

New England to beat Miami. At face value the likely outcome. But NE has locked up the #1 seed and will most likely play their backups. Miami on the other hand would have been playing for their postseason lives

FYI: Baltimore is at Cincinnati in Week 17.

They need a win or an Oakland loss to wrap it up, so their starters likely will play. Thought I saw the NE game was switched to 4:00 so the same time played as the Oakland game so both team will be playing to win at least in the 1st half and likely beyond.