Not happy with the TH for LJ trade!

JP-era

Shelton is a demoted LT, has been switched to RT before, and has never made the pro-bowl. In fact, he was a backup last year.

Travis is a pro-bowl running back, and with Edge, Shaun, and Rudi all being tagged, he is the best available RB out there.

Why in the hell do we trade a pro-bowl RB for a backup OL? Dont try to sell me that he is a stud LT, he isnt and wasnt, he was a backup and unlike the Bills was replaced with by a guy who was a G and doesnt look to be much better.

Henry is a starter, Shelton is a backup at this point.

With Moss being traded and getting as much as he did in trade value, why cant we at least get a 2nd from Travis?

Heres my specific points:

1) Shelton right now, today, is NOT an upgrade to Jennings

2) TD has already stated we werent good enough on O, why do you downgrade at the LT spot then?

3) Shelton at RT would be OK, but there are other RT's who can play just as well, Womack and McKenzie are 2.

4) There are team that need a feature back, Henry as a pro-bowl feature back is worth a hell of alot more than a serviceable LT, IMO

I just dont see that we are getting enough value out of this.

And then to hear that Denny wanted a pick as well? are you frikkin nuts? well that a rhetorical question anyways.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

251006[/snapback]

Last time I looked, McGahee was our starter at RB and Henry was our backup. Both Shelton and Henry at some point in 2004, were removed from the starting lineups for their teams. That makes them both backups on their current teams. :unsure:

"Problem here is Jennings and Shelton are at the same tier as far as talent, niether is a Pace, Jones, Ogden type. They are both the next step down. I dont mind the trade and we save money by doing it considering Jennings will command more than we would pay on Sheltons current contract. I guess I wish they would have went after a top tier LT whne you have a young QB at the helm."

anyone care to guess who's comments these were not to long ago??

flip flop, flip flop, flip flop.......

I think the past several days have helped Travis' value as several other RBs were taken off the market. I trust TD to get maximum value for TH.

It has been written here several times already, and I agree, that even if Shelton is a slight step down from JJ, it still saves the Bills a good deal of cap space -- cap space that can be used to sign a good left guard. Take a half step back at LT to take three steps forward at LG, yeah, I'm for that.

By the way, the word is that Shelton is better at run blocking than JJ, and JJ is better at pass blocking. Well, I sure hope to see our star running back get a lot more carries than our very young QB get passes.

2) TD has already stated we werent good enough on O, why do you downgrade at the LT spot then?

3) Shelton at RT would be OK, but there are other RT's who can play just as well, Womack and McKenzie are 2.

4) There are team that need a feature back, Henry as a pro-bowl feature back is worth a hell of alot more than a serviceable LT, IMO

251006[/snapback]

1) Shelton is ABSOLUTELY an upgrade to Jennings. Cheaper at his point as well.

2) SEE ABOVE

3) Shelton is not a F/A. We get him without having to over pay.

4) I think you are heavily overrating Henry. The average life of an NFL back is 4 years. He had a great season 3 years ago and has been in decline ever since.

Travis Henry is an often injured backup RB. He hasn't been to Hawaii in three years. Actually getting a player instead of a draft pick is worth it and getting a huge OL that is a decent run blocker for an injured backup RB is more than worth it.

Also remember that Henry's contract expires in one year, and he never would have signed an extention with us (and possibly wouldn't have played, or would've just gone through the motions). At least we get something with this, although I"m thinking I would've prefered a draft pick of some sort...

CW

I like TH and don't think they should trade him.

The positives

I like the way he fumbles, misses blocks, is hurt more than healthy, throws the ball.

The Negatives

Shelton has experience as a starter and could be used as a backup if needed. His pay of $3 million.

Also remember that Henry's contract expires in one year, and he never would have signed an extention with us (and possibly wouldn't have played, or would've just gone through the motions).  At least we get something with this, although I"m thinking I would've prefered a draft pick of some sort...

CW

251086[/snapback]

About getting a draft pick. Do you think Shetlon is worth a second round pick? I think he is. Do you think we could draft a left tackle (or even a left guard) in the second round this year who would be able to start for us week one? I don't.

"Problem here is Jennings and Shelton are at the same tier as far as talent,

251023[/snapback]

Thank you.. Henry and Shelton are , in effect, the same player, with the same status, the same value, and they are both in the same situation.

Henry has a Willis McGahee in front of him that will keep him off the field here in Buffalo. Shelton will not have someone keeping him off the field here. There will be a spot for him somehow, someway.

Shelton has a Denny Green keeping him off the field in Arizona, Henry won't have that problem there (unless Marcel Shipp ends up being better).

This trade works well for both teams, it's a rare player-for-player trade that can work.

While it should be apparent to even the somewhat casual fan that Jennings is indeed a superior player to Shelton, there are two factors that make this potentially a good move.

1- JJ's injury history

2- LJ will come at a much better price as JJ will require an inflated signing bonus.

they havent mentioned draft picks yet. really all we have heard are rumors.

im guessin we will get eather a mid round pick, or trade 2nd round picks.

i really dout it will be a strait player for player trade. those are very rare in the NFL.

Shelton is a demoted LT, has been switched to RT before, and has never made the pro-bowl. In fact, he was a backup last year.

Travis is a pro-bowl running back, and with Edge, Shaun, and Rudi all being tagged, he is the best available RB out there.

Why in the hell do we trade a pro-bowl RB for a backup OL? Dont try to sell me that he is a stud LT, he isnt and wasnt, he was a backup and unlike the Bills was replaced with by a guy who was a G and doesnt look to be much better.

With Moss being traded and getting as much as he did in trade value, why cant we at least get a 2nd from Travis?

Heres my specific points:

I just dont see that we are  getting enough value out of this.

And then to hear that Denny wanted a pick as well? are you frikkin nuts? well that a rhetorical question anyways.

251006[/snapback]

You would have a point here if you didn't overate Henry and Jennings. Travis is not a "pro bowl" running back. Technically he is, but in football reality he's far from it. Jennings is an above average injury-prone LT who is looking for elite money. The Bills of the previous regime would overspend on a guy like this. Thankfully, TD will keep his offer to a sane one. The best case scenario is to get LJ and sign Jennings also, but that is not going to happen because Jonas wants to break the bank.