What happens to Greg Roman's reputation

I suppose there may be logic and reason here but it is beyond my powers of discernment.

-Tyrod has been Tyrod the last two games, and the high risk of turnovers, injury, and failure has not materialized.

-It may in future, but failure materialized during the 1st 2 games without Tyrod being Tyrod.

-Roman has a guaranteed paycheck. His house and car are his to keep, as is his firstborn. What he risked is his reputation, and if Lynn's offense succeeds consistently this season where his didn't, he will take a hit.

-Lynn has been an assistant in the league for a long time without getting a break. The Rooney Rule provides token interviews more than it facilitates real change or opportunity for advancement. If Lynn fails as OC, even as an OC where the odds were stacked against success by taking over mid-season, he risks an opportunity for a step that may not come his way again.

He has an agenda.

Dead last during his 18 game tenure in % of drives ending in three and out.

Can we please stop saying his offense was good.

It was not.

I'm on the record!!!! His OC days at an NFL level are over. His complex run scheme fails to accomplish what a simple passing game can.

It was not.

I bet that was a big pet-peeve of Rex's last year, even if they did fine with big plays and scoring points. 3 and outs are tough on the defense.

I suppose there may be logic and reason here but it is beyond my powers of discernment.

-Tyrod has been Tyrod the last two games, and the high risk of turnovers, injury, and failure has not materialized.

-It may in future, but failure materialized during the 1st 2 games without Tyrod being Tyrod.

-Roman has a guaranteed paycheck. His house and car are his to keep, as is his firstborn. What he risked is his reputation, and if Lynn's offense succeeds consistently this season where his didn't, he will take a hit.

-Lynn has been an assistant in the league for a long time without getting a break. The Rooney Rule provides token interviews more than it facilitates real change or opportunity for advancement. If Lynn fails as OC, even as an OC where the odds were stacked against success by taking over mid-season, he risks an opportunity for a step that may not come his way again.

Agreed

Roman's situation is odd. We saw him succeed in SF for a short period and then the wheels kinda came off the bus with that offense. We saw him have some sucess in Buffalo last season and then through 2 games this season, the wheels were coming off the bus again.

I dont doubt hes a good offensive mind. I may doubt his ability to adapt on the go and counter what a defense is doing to the offense on a given sunday.

It seems like he tries to get away from simple concepts that work in year one and build on them in the following years and they just don't work. He is a mad scientist always tinkering with things and his tinkering starts leading him further and further away from success as time goes on...

Roman's situation is odd. We saw him succeed in SF for a short period and then the wheels kinda came off the bus with that offense. We saw him have some sucess in Buffalo last season and then through 2 games this season, the wheels were coming off the bus again.

I dont doubt hes a good offensive mind. I may doubt his ability to adapt on the go and counter what a defense is doing to the offense on a given sunday.

Which in today's parlance means "average"

It was not.

I think some of that can attributed to a putrid offense.

If our Offense keeps performing as well as it has the past couple of weeks. It is "his" offense but demonstrates his inability to call plays during a game. I would imagine teams will be hesitant trusting his in game abilities going forward.

It seems painfully obvious righ now given the immediate turn around in offensive effectiveness with the new OC.

maybe he is a brilliant designer but bad play caller.

New OC's have a big advantage in playcalling.

People think that because Roman had been an OC in SF that teams knew just what to expect when he came to Buffalo.

But when you give an OC entirely knew personnel it's the near equivalent of wiping the slate clean.

Works for QB's too........look at the initial run that previously "found-out" Bills like Flutie and Fitz have had after switching teams.

There is only so much time to throw a gameplan together from week to week and watching tape of every player on his former team and changing what YOU do based on THAT........well that's not happening all that often.

Roman had the advantage of being new to the position last year.........Lynn has it now......and should have it all season if he's cut out for it.

I think the assumption will be that Roman has learned from the mistakes and has a sound foundation........he's certainly had success without much in the way of a franchise QB.

Bills OC's like Dan Henning and Kevin Gilbride have gone on to subsequent playoff success after being run out of town for sh*t playcalling.

While this point of view is commonly expressed it's never been quantified or measured as far as I'm aware. I'm certain it would be easy to point out situations in which the exact opposite occurred. Not trying to sound like a d-bag, just a lot of deduction based on little actual evidence.

Edited by KzooMike