Trump, Rex and the NFL

Just read an interesting article on BR, "Donald Trump is Tearing the NFL Apart". It starts of like this..

Six months ago, Rex Ryan stood before a roaring crowd in Buffalo and gave a pep talk. This was not an unfamiliar scene for the Bills head coach, except for maybe the suit and tie. Well, that and the subject of his four-minute speech: Donald J. Trump.

“There’s so many things I admire about Mr. Trump, but one thing I really admire about him is—you know what—he’ll say what’s on his mind,” Ryan said. “And so many times, you’ll see people—a lot of people—want to say the same thing. But there’s a big difference: They don’t have the courage to say it. They all think it, but they don’t have the courage to say it. And Donald Trump certainly has the courage to say it.”

I didn't know that Rex was a trump supporter or that he spoke at his rally. The article goes on to quote a couple of anonymous Bill's players who said their opinion of their coach changed after learning he was a Trump supporter. I'm not sure of the role that politics play in an NFL locker room, hopefully players/coaches can draw a line between that and football.

It'll be interesting to see if anything comes up in the next month.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read an interesting article on BR, "Donald Trump is Tearing the NFL Apart". It starts of like this..

I didn't know that Rex was a trump supporter or that he spoke at his rally. The article goes on to quote a couple of anonymous Bill's players who said their opinion of their coach changed after learning he was a Trump supporter. I'm not sure of the role that politics play in an NFL locker room, hopefully players/coaches can draw a line between that and football.

This is beyond politics. How any minority capable of an independent thought in this country respects anyone who supports Trump is beyond me.

An NFL locker room is full of guys from varying backgrounds and varying opinions on probably just about everything. Nothing to see here. Perhaps a few guys opinions of RR changed but that shows their naïveté . Not everyone is going to agree with you , and his reasons for supporting Trump may be as simple as he doesn't want to pay more taxes like Hillary wants him to. If they are implying Rex is racist because he supports the Donald, well that is a fine example of stereotyping. I highly doubt it means a thing on the field though. It's a job.

This is beyond politics. How any minority capable of an independent thought in this country respects anyone who supports Trump is beyond me.

Because perhaps they actually are capable of independent thought , not just buying the drivel that the media and racist minority groups are force feeding them.

An NFL locker room is full of guys from varying backgrounds and varying opinions on probably just about everything. Nothing to see here. Perhaps a few guys opinions of RR changed but that shows their naïveté . Not everyone is going to agree with you , and his reasons for supporting Trump may be as simple as he doesn't want to pay more taxes like Hillary wants him to. If they are implying Rex is racist because he supports the Donald, well that is a fine example of stereotyping. I highly doubt it means a thing on the field though. It's a job.

Because perhaps they actually are capable of independent thought , not just buying the drivel that the media and racist minority groups are force feeding them.

Most of the force feeding is his direct quotes lol..Donald is a mess.

That being said players can have their own political beliefs and so can Rex. I hope BN and the boys don't try to make this a thing.

Not to PPP it--and frankly I don't have a boat in this race since I won't be voting for HRC either--but how exactly is the media responsible for the racist/sexist crap that comes straight from Trump's mouth?

Also: Rex Ryan the political wonk, that's a new one.

Spoiler alert: the team couldn't care less.

Not to PPP it--and frankly I don't have a boat in this race since I won't be voting for HRC either--but how exactly is the media responsible for the racist/sexist crap that comes straight from Trump's mouth?Also: Rex Ryan the political wonk, that's a new one.

Spoiler alert: the team couldn't care less.

I haven't found anything Trump has said to be racist. It's called spin.

Another stupid move by Rex, but it figures. Just goes to show that he is an A hole and finds another A hole to be his choice. Trump has shown himself to be a racist and a sexist. If I was a black man on this team I would choose to be offended.

Added a few important words there.

I also have never seen Trump say anything racist. Insensitive for sure, but not racist.

And for the record, no, I don't like Trump.

Most of the force feeding is his direct quotes lol..Donald is a mess.

That being said players can have their own political beliefs and so can Rex. I hope BN and the boys don't try to make this a thing.

Exactly. I'm 100% sure that Rex wouldn't cut a player because they supported Hillary, so they have no place letting his political leaning affect their preparation or performance.

Then you haven't been listening.

I try not to, but it finds me nonetheless.

If you want to post a direct, overtly racist quote from him, I'll append my opinion.

Anyone surprised that one blowhard idiot supports another?

Exactly. I'm 100% sure that Rex wouldn't cut a player because they supported Hillary, so they have no place letting his political leaning affect their preparation or performance.

Agreed, but it's easier to see a player not coming to the Bills because he knows Rex is a Trump supporter.

I don't think Rex thinks of politics in a nuance way. Rex supporting Trump is probably more of a byproduct of his admiration that Trump has no filter similar to himself. Keep in mind it was Trump who insulted the Pegula's after he lost his bid for the team. Rex supporting Trump probably irked Pegula, but it's not like he was going to muzzle Rex's free speech. Similarly if Kaepernick was on the Bills Pegula wouldn't stop him from protesting.

Edited by Dr.Sack

Dont have time to search it out right now, but I believe I remember Rex ALSO saying that he is not necessarily voting for Trump, and doesnt back his politics, but was honored to be asked to introduce him and then gave the political non-answer of "I like that he speaks his mind" without getting into exactly what it was Trump was saying.

Rex was careful to not say he AGREES with what Trump says, just that he appreciates someone who isnt afraid to speak.

Added a few important words there.

I also have never seen Trump say anything racist. Insensitive for sure, but not racist.

And for the record, no, I don't like Trump.

Hes a Mexican, Trump told CNN of Curiel. Were building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings rulings that people cant even believe.

Curiel, it should be noted, is an American citizen who was born in Indiana.

I dunno....that's pretty close to the definition of being racist; saying an American is unable to make judicial decisions properly because of their race.

I don't think Rex thinks of politics in a nuance way. Rex supporting Trump is probably more of a byproduct of his admiration that Trump has no filter similar to himself. Keep in mind it was Trump who insulted the Pegula's after he lost his bid for the team. Rex supporting Trump probably irked Pegula, but it's not like he was going to muzzle Rex's free speech. Similarly if Kaepernick was on the Bills Pegula wouldn't stop him from protesting.

Moreover, it would be patently ridiculous to fire a guy over his political leaning.

64210991.jpg

No.

Doubt.

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in previous threads too numerous to count by posters who ironically make it their mission in life to repeatedly post that someone else is a blow hard.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.

Hes a Mexican, Trump told CNN of Curiel. Were building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings rulings that people cant even believe.

Curiel, it should be noted, is an American citizen who was born in Indiana.

I dunno....that's pretty close to the definition of being racist; saying an American is unable to make judicial decisions properly because of their race.

I'm certainly no Trump apologist; I don't like him.

That sounds more stupid that racist. I think he was trying to imply that Curiel was stumping for Mexico because of his background, which, while stupid, isn't racist. He's just a terrible speaker and has zero social awareness.

But I could be wrong.

Either way, I have no desire to defend Trump, so forgive me if I don't do so much further :beer: