Watkins expected to play vs NE this week.

ChanOverChin

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be totally un-bills like, but I wonder if he could have played last week and they held him out for a few reasons. This game is division and conference and more important than a non conference game and element of surprise with new OC and nothing on tape. I know they had zero wins last week and need to win a game, but this would give him about 2 and 1/2 weeks or so to rest it.

This would be totally un-bills like, but I wonder if he could have played last week and they held him out for a few reasons. This game is division and conference and more important than a non conference game and element of surprise with new OC and nothing on tape. I know they had zero wins last week and need to win a game, but this would give him about 2 and 1/2 weeks or so to rest it.

That actually wouldn't surprise me at all...you need to be careful with your start players.

It's not an unreasonable take at all.

It would lend some credence to Sammy's tweet about being ready to play. He may have felt fine to go but the team asked him to continue to rest the foot for this week. IMO it also speaks to the confidence in the game plan they had for the Cards.

It would lend some credence to Sammy's tweet about being ready to play. He may have felt fine to go but the team asked him to continue to rest the foot for this week. IMO it also speaks to the confidence in the game plan they had for the Cards.

If we take this a step farther (no pun intended), perhaps the "he got his foot stepped on" comment by Rex was a complete lie. There's nothing preventing coaches from lying to the media as long as the injury report accurately reflects who practiced and who didn't.

If we take this a step farther (no pun intended), perhaps the "he got his foot stepped on" comment by Rex was a complete lie. There's nothing preventing coaches from lying to the media as long as the injury report accurately reflects who practiced and who didn't.

:lol: Now that's devious! Sounds like something another coach we all know may do.

I could be totally off, but from the remarks Lynn made I wonder if he put his foot down on Sammy (pun intended) and said "no practice-no play". The NFL is rough on the body and it's not unknown for star players want to lighten their practice during the week and do better on Sunday (see Jason Taylor, Defensive Player of the Year) , but effective use of a WR demands that the QB and WR be in sync, and Watkins and Taylor just don't seem to be so far this season.

Last week, Rex said he had a set back because someone stepped on his hurt foot in practice. So its probably a combination of the original injury and that.

The thing I don't understand about that report is, it's well known NFL players go for each other's weakness like guided missiles. Have known broken ribs? Expect them to be targeted every time you're tackled and punched or kicked anytime you're down and the action is hidden from the ref. Have a sore foot? Expect it to be stepped on whenever possible, with a little grinding pivot added in for flavor. That's football.

So there has to be a way to protect Watkins foot from being further injured from being stepped on, and why wouldn't he be wearing it during practice if for no other reason than to test out the fit?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

This makes great sense and hope its true.

my ridiculous "fifth grade level" comments are no more ridiculous as you and anyone else for that matter standing up and supporting Little Boo Boo Kitty Foot. For the same reasons you state that I'm being stupid, you have absolutely no idea how much pain He is in no more than I do. If his pain really is so tremendous that he cannot play (even though doctors have said it cannot be reinjured), or if it's a simple as a paper cut. We will never know. Oh, except for the guy I know that has spoken with a member of the Bills training staff that has admitted that Sammy is a baby and that others play with similar or worse ailments.

Believe whatever you want. I don't care, but stop annouing me for my opinions as they are no worse than yours.

Oh, and I have torn 3 ligaments, 3 tendons, and sprained my ankle while separating my Tibia and Fibula off my Talus perminantely. I did this in my Sr year of high school when I ran track. The doctor told me I would be on crutches for 6 weeks and wouldn't be able to run in 6 months. I was walking on it that night, and running full speed on it in 2 weeks. I managed to make the finals in section 6 in the 110 High Hurdles, Pole Vault, and Triple Jump and 4x100 relay.

Tell us more about the Pole Vault. Have any footage ?

this past Sunday missed his 4th game in 2.3 seasons.

The first two weeks he looked my my grandmother running on that sore foot but at least he gave it a go. There are numerous examples the past two years as well.

So if you have an alternate set of data or observations relating to the NFL as opposed to your High School track team, please do share them.

Although I do enjoy a good high school track yarn now and then...

this is what gets me. Yes, he's only missed 4 games out of 2 years and 3 games. However, as you stated the first 2 this year he looked like you grandma running around out there. Giving it a go means nothing. If you cannot compete in the contest then why bother. He's been useless this first 2 games and as you have stated, has had similar games in the past 2 years. So without counting that "4 games missed" is probably more like 7-10 games.

I only stated my injuries in the past because apparently since I don't play NFL football, I'm not informed enough to speak of Sammys injuries. But the fact is, someone asked me to step into his shoes and take an injury and I already have. It's not may fault that people here don't think others injuries aren't as bad or serious because they don't play for the Buffalo Bills.

Tell us more about the Pole Vault. Have any footage ?

you would want to see footage of men on poles wouldn't you

this is what gets me. Yes, he's only missed 4 games out of 2 years and 3 games. However, as you stated the first 2 this year he looked like you grandma running around out there. Giving it a go means nothing. If you cannot compete in the contest then why bother. He's been useless this first 2 games and as you have stated, has had similar games in the past 2 years. So without counting that "4 games missed" is probably more like 7-10 games.

He's getting open; this is one thing that nobody has even argued against.

His job is to get open; it's not his fault if the QB/OC didn't get him the ball.

Well kudos to you sir. You just won the Internet today! You are an international hero now.

Oh, and Sammy committed suicide after reading your post, because he felt so ashamed.

no. Not a hero. Just not a boo boo kitty foot like a certain NFL player that doesn't play through being hurt like his peers. That's coming from a Bills trainer. So take it how you want. You won't believe it anyway. But oh well, his career will prove I'm correct and you backed jist abother baby that couldn't play the game to its fullest because he's constantly hurt.

He's getting open; this is one thing that nobody has even argued against.

His job is to get open; it's not his fault if the QB/OC didn't get him the ball.

no. I'm not going to argue this. Because this is a useless argument. He's played multiple games at an underperforming level.

You would think all the support this guys gets and all the ball washing he receives from everyone he would be Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chris Carter in their primes. He's not. He's put up some seriously questionable numbers as a "true #1" receiver. It's funny that Stevie Johnson has produced more, yet people wanted to cut him because he wasn't good enough

no. I'm not going to argue this. Because this is a useless argument. He's played multiple games at an underperforming level.

You would think all the support this guys gets and all the ball washing he receives from everyone he would be Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chris Carter in their primes. He's not. He's put up some seriously questionable numbers as a "true #1" receiver. It's funny that Stevie Johnson has produced more, yet people wanted to cut him because he wasn't good enough

He had over 1,000 yards and 9 TDs in 13 games last season, and had the highest yards/target of any WR in the league. Those aren't questionable numbers.

If you're intent on criticizing his level of play, that's fine and I'll bow out. That someone looking at the situation honestly wouldn't acknowledge whether or not he's doing his job (i.e. getting open--he can't throw himself the ball) seems like it would undermine the argument IMO.

Oh, and go spartans.

He had over 1,000 yards and 9 TDs in 13 games last season, and had the highest yards/target of any WR in the league. Those aren't questionable numbers.

If you're intent on criticizing his level of play, that's fine and I'll bow out. That someone looking at the situation honestly wouldn't acknowledge whether or not he's doing his job (i.e. getting open--he can't throw himself the ball) seems like it would undermine the argument IMO.

Oh, and go spartans.

go Spartans

I still have no idea who you are

@TheBillsWire

Is it time for to stop screwing around with WR Sammy Watkins foot?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/28/buffalo-bills-sammy-watkins-foot/

This is a good article with some good factual information about the procedures. "I hear that" on the increased pain with cold. I had pins and screws in my ankle for two years and going winter backpacking in the Adirondacks was an unexpected challenge in pain tolerance (you walk in there, you gotta walk out). What people don't realize is that anatomy is far more individual than many people think and a procedure designed to avoid nerves where they usually are located can wind up hitting them. I finally had the screws removed and after the healing period from the removal I have had no further problems.

I posted a link to this article elsewhere but I think parts of it are worth reading just to understand what "being a kitty" means in NFL terms. This is written about Jason Taylor, a noted 'gladiator mentality' who played through a herniated disk, compartment syndrome in his calf, etc etc etc describing treatment for a foot injury:

we begin the anatomy of Taylor’s story at the very bottom … with his feet. He had torn tissues in the bottom of both of them. But he wanted to play. He always wanted to play. So he went to a private room inside the football stadium. “Like a dungeon,” he says now. “One light bulb swaying back and forth. There was a damp, musty smell. It was like the basement in Pulp Fiction.” The doctors handed him a towel. For his mouth. To keep him from biting his tongue. And to muffle his screaming.“It is the worst ever,” he says. “By far. All the nerve endings in your feet.”That wasn’t the ailment. No, that was the cure. A needle has to go in that foot, and there aren’t a lot of soft, friendly places for a big needle in a foot. That foot pain is there for a reason, of course. It is your body screaming to your brain for help. A warning. The needle mutes the screaming and the warning. “The first shot is ridiculous,” Taylor says. “Ridiculously horrible. Excruciating.” But the first shot to the foot wasn’t even the remedy. The first shot was just to numb the area … in preparation for the second shot, which was worse. “You can’t kill the foot because then it is just a dead nub,” he says. “You’ve got to get the perfect mix [of anesthesia]. I was crying and screaming. I’m sweating just speaking about it now.” How’d he play? “I didn’t play well,” he says. “But I played better than my backup would have.”

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

In my opinion they are pushing him to play. He may play decoy and have a reduced target load. This is a conference and divsion game. They want all threats availble and I think they will gameplan away from him. Given that our next batch of opponents are seen as easier games, they may rest him then.

It forces BB to consider him as one of his isolation targets. I expect him to get 4-5 targets with 2-3 catches (short), then miss 2 weeks to heal up. He will not be a big part of the game plan. I expect runs, mid range out routes to Woods, screens to McCoy, short outs to Watkins and a few crossing patterns for Clay. If we can push the line on runs, they will clock the game and bank on the defense. I dont see out ST having an opportunisitc day, but they must remain average at best.