Is Chad Kelly not Jim Kelly incarnate?

Virgil

Watching Chad Kelly play tonight makes me think he is nowhere near ready and probably not good enough to be an NFL quarterback. I really don't get what people see in him that is so impressive. Looks like he is over-hyped just because of his last name. Just my opinion.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He reminds me of Steve Deberg.

That's funny, because I think of him as the opposite of DeBerg. Perhaps we watched him at different points in his career. I think of Kelly as a Fitzpatrick/Manziel cross. I think of DeBerg as an decent running-team game-manager. My recollections are all those painful trips to Arrowhead (usually on MNF) during which Barry Word and Christian Okoye bludgeoned our undersized 3-4 into oblivion.

Watching Chad Kelly play tonight makes me think he is nowhere near ready and probably not good enough to be an NFL quarterback. I really don't get what people see in him that is so impressive. Looks like he is over-hyped just because of his last name. Just my opinion.

Yea I don't know what your looking at.

Awesome arm and tough as nails. Not even his best game and he goes for 250 passing and 90 yards rushing.

Yea I don't know what your looking at.

Awesome arm and tough as nails. Not even his best game and he goes for 250 passing and 90 yards rushing.

He certainly does have legs. I'll give him that. I just don't think he shows much poise in the pocket. Panics immediately under pressure. Seems most of his passing plays are scripted - meaning he will immediately throw to one guy after the snap without making any reads. He is definitely talented. I just don't think it is NFL starter level talent. Maybe he will get there. I don't think he shows it right now though. Looking at him now, if he was in the NFL I would predict he would lead the league in interceptions and get his team beat badly more often than not.

He certainly does have legs. I'll give him that. I just don't think he shows much poise in the pocket. Panics immediately under pressure. Seems most of his passing plays are scripted - meaning he will immediately throw to one guy after the snap without making any reads. He is definitely talented. I just don't think it is NFL starter level talent. Maybe he will get there. I don't think he shows it right now though. Looking at him now, if he was in the NFL I would predict he would lead the league in interceptions and get his team beat badly more often than not.

Fair enough. Some think he's another Jay Cutler.

I've seen a handful of his games and think he has some promise.

he has the talent but a spread QB will take some time to develop. If you watched last weeks game you could see him play great in the pocket.

Im watching the replay now, Im seeing him make A LOT of one read throws, the arm is good on the eye test, has the signature Kelly family toughness on those running plays, we might be able to get him in the 3rd round but I highly doubt OBD makes that move. Needs more development, not ready to start but I would support us signing him and developing him for a year or two before feeding him to the wolves. Given that we already did that with Cardale, I dont see them taking Kelly or any other QB on that level. I would support it if we did tho! Got the Bills QB in his genes!! For you brehs, and brehettes that havent seen the game heres the link

http://www.secsports.com/video/event/2912309/espn3

click on the box score thing towards the top of the page, that leads you to a screen where you can click "watch Replay". Shows 2 angles and stats as they happen. That Is VERY COOL. I never knew this existed, Im gonna start watching Kelly's career through that ESPN site from now on.

Edited by Marty McFly

I honestly go back and forth on Kelly. I thought he was an idiot for trying to fight high school kids but I also respect him for sticking up for his family.

That said, I don't think he is very smart. I still think he is a two read qb and will have a big adjustment at the pro level. I'm not sure if he has the mental skills to be a big time NFL qb. I think Josh Rosen is going to be a stud.

Im watching the replay now, Im seeing him make A LOT of one read throws, the arm is good on the eye test, has the signature Kelly family toughness on those running plays, we might be able to get him in the 3rd round but I highly doubt OBD makes that move. Needs more development, not ready to start but I would support us signing him and developing him for a year or two before feeding him to the wolves. Given that we already did that with Cardale, I dont see them taking Kelly or any other QB on that level. I would support it if we did tho! Got the Bills QB in his genes!! For you brehs, and brehettes that havent seen the game heres the link

http://www.secsports.com/video/event/2912309/espn3

click on the box score thing towards the top of the page, that leads you to a screen where you can click "watch Replay". Shows 2 angles and stats as they happen. That Is VERY COOL. I never knew this existed, Im gonna start watching Kelly's career through that ESPN site from now on.

I'm glad they took Cardale last years. But there is no way he should ever prevent you from drafting a qb. He is coinflip if he will ever become a NFL caliber qb.

As I watch him more and more, I find him to be as erratic a quarterback as I've seen. Against Alabama every year, )3 plays with all the NFL potential you could want.

Other games, it's a toss up from drive to drive. He has great arm strength, can make all the throws, but can also miss them too.

A lot of his passes last night rarely caught his receivers in stride. While they didn't need to make huge adjustments, they made them nonetheless.

I agree that he's a two read QB, but that's like being a 5 read QB in the NFL. Most college systems don't ask for much more than that.

His attitude issues are getting more concerning for me and I think he is overall playing himself out of a first day pick.

HOWEVER, we all know that college Qbs are all about what have you done for me lately. If he wins his bowl game in convincing style and has a good senior bowl, he will be right back in the first day picks. Whether he deserves is or not

As I watch him more and more, I find him to be as erratic a quarterback as I've seen. Against Alabama every year, )3 plays with all the NFL potential you could want.

Other games, it's a toss up from drive to drive. He has great arm strength, can make all the throws, but can also miss them too.

A lot of his passes last night rarely caught his receivers in stride. While they didn't need to make huge adjustments, they made them nonetheless.

I agree that he's a two read QB, but that's like being a 5 read QB in the NFL. Most college systems don't ask for much more than that.

His attitude issues are getting more concerning for me and I think he is overall playing himself out of a first day pick.

HOWEVER, we all know that college Qbs are all about what have you done for me lately. If he wins his bowl game in convincing style and has a good senior bowl, he will be right back in the first day picks. Whether he deserves is or not

Jay Cutler!

I'm glad they took Cardale last years. But there is no way he should ever prevent you from drafting a qb. He is coinflip if he will ever become a NFL caliber qb.

I agree with you but Cardale was a boom or bust project QB, which I was very impressed by in pre-season, my comment was more that OBD probably wouldn't draft another boom or bust, they will probably take someone who's more of a sure thing and would be ready for the pro style sooner, to clarify.

disagree - he has an innate ability to use his legs if he does not see a first or send read available. He fits passes into windows adroitly which suggests not everything is scripted, and he will hang in to take a hit. He uses every weapon on the field - sideline big WR targets, dumpoffs, and a TE who leads the NCAA in receptions. He also runs an extreme no huddle to brutal efficiency - not indicative of scripted plays. Last night was a bit rough b/c he was out of sync/communication with several rceivers...not sure whose fault that is.

I just think you might be confusing panic with a great ability to escape and elude for more than positive running yards.

This isn't about drafting him, when he should be drafted, or Tyrod.

Having the ability to watch him play in his first 4 games and a few last year, he just reminds me so much of Jimbo. He's got the broad shoulders, the gun slinger mentality, and the over confident throws to a fault.

I remember so many times when Jim would just have a little to much faith in his ability or receivers and make a poor throw. Chad seems the same way. Can make all the throws, will take a hit.

Basically, they are both backyard, I want you to hit me, pull it out your ass kinda players.

But yes, I would also draft him. It would just be too much fun. Although I'm still in TT's corner

he'll probably be there in 3rd 4th round.. but...