Myles Garrett - anyone have an informed opinion about him?

dave mcbride

It raises a very good question. If the Bills are that bad, why would they prioritise pass rush over quarterback?

Picking 2nd would mean a new staff and, you'd imagine, no Tyrod. Garrett would mean both passing on a QB and dropping either a $9m/year pass rusher or a 1st round investment to a bench role.

Garrett is freaking unbelievable but I'm not sure he's franchise altering in Buffalo given the circumstances.

Edited by Blokestradamus

It raises a very good question. If the Bills are that bad, why would they prioritise pass rush over quarterback?

Picking 2nd would mean a new staff and, you'd imagine, no Tyrod. Garrett would mean both passing on a QB and dropping either a $9m/year pass rusher or a 1st round investment to a bench role.

Garrett is freaking unbelievable but I'm not sure he's franchise altering in Buffalo given the circumstances.

I hear you, but I do think that a truly elite pass rusher - think Bruce Smith or Von Miller - can make a huge difference. Miller went #2 after Newton, and while I'd certainly take Newton with 20/20 hindsight, it's at least debatable. I don't know how good next year's QB class is. I still think that the Bills aren't in horrible shape at the QB position, and if you, say, put Tyrod on the Broncos, people would probably be saying that he's a good enough QB. Picking 2nd might mean that Tyrod played terribly, but it also may end up being a function of terrible defense (a real possibility). I do think the defense will improve once Dareus returns, however.

Edited by dave mcbride

I hear you, but I do think that a truly elite pass rusher - think Bruce Smith or Von Miller - can make a huge difference. Miller went #2 after Newton, and while I'd certainly take Newton with 20/20 hindsight, it's at least debatable. I don't know how good next year's QB class is. I still think that the Bills aren't in horrible shape at the QB position, and if you, say, put Tyrod on the Broncos, people would probably be saying that he's a good enough QB. Picking 2nd might mean that Tyrod played terribly, but it also may end up being a function of terrible defense (a real possibility). I do think the defense will improve once Dareus returns, however.

Obviously, circumstances that are yet to unfold will play a big part in the decision making process. After 2 weeks, I'm definitely laying more blame on the QB than the pass rush (especially with Shaq yet to play) but that might not be the case as the season pans out.

I wouldn't hate picking Garrett by any means, he's a tremendous player. I would just be more tempted, especially as a new coach, to swing for the fences with a new QB. It buys a coach time, it'll hopefully provide some stability for 3-4 years as the team builds around the QB steadily.

Even if we go defense with the first round pick, I'd probably rather take Malik McDowell (Michigan State DT) or Marlon Humphrey (Alabama CB). Both wonderful players and would provide an upgrade in positions that we might not have answers for (Gilmore's contract running out, Kyle Williams getting old). I think it does depend on personal philosophy and there's probably no right/wrong answer at this point.

Like Kizer a lot. Great Pocket Presence, reads defenses, accurate all around, can move in the pocket. Has continually improved since became starter last year. Sound Mechanics (some flaws there still). Some flaws in footwork, and can get erratic at times when he doesn't keep his left shoulder closed.

Watson - He has slipped a bit with me this year, because there is something going on with that Clemson offense I cant put my finger on. Also a lot of his throws are not the NFL type throws you need to see, so right now he is a projection to me until I see pre draft workouts where they will force him to make those NFL throws.

Kaaya - like the above two sound mechanics good understanding of defense.. Right now questions are his Arm, though I think it is plenty good enough for the NFL he may struggle at times in high winds and such.

Like Kizer a lot. Great Pocket Presence, reads defenses, accurate all around, can move in the pocket. Has continually improved since became starter last year. Sound Mechanics (some flaws there still). Some flaws in footwork, and can get erratic at times when he doesn't keep his left shoulder closed.

Watson - He has slipped a bit with me this year, because there is something going on with that Clemson offense I cant put my finger on. Also a lot of his throws are not the NFL type throws you need to see, so right now he is a projection to me until I see pre draft workouts where they will force him to make those NFL throws.

Kaaya - like the above two sound mechanics good understanding of defense.. Right now questions are his Arm, though I think it is plenty good enough for the NFL he may struggle at times in high winds and such.

Thanks. That December 18 game with Cleveland could end up being the most important Bills game this century!!

Edited by dave mcbride

Even if we go defense with the first round pick, I'd probably rather take Malik McDowell (Michigan State DT) or Marlon Humphrey (Alabama CB). Both wonderful players and would provide an upgrade in positions that we might not have answers for (Gilmore's contract running out, Kyle Williams getting old).

I'm pretty sure that you know that I root for the Tide. Marlon Humphrey is a fine player. I have seen every game he has played in and even watched his father play.

That said, with or without Gilmore on the team, he is not by any stretch of the imagination worthy of a top 5 pick. There are at least 3 defenders on the Alabama roster that I would prefer to see on the Bills.

Jonathan Allen gets better before your eyes. Tim Williams is virtually unstoppable as a pass rusher, and Reuben Foster does everything at lb. Everything, and he hits like a truck.

One major problems of the Bills has been drafting to fill holes. Humphrey, imo, is more of a late first round pick.

I'm pretty sure that you know that I root for the Tide. Marlon Humphrey is a fine player. I have seen every game he has played in and even watched his father play.

That said, with or without Gilmore on the team, he is not by any stretch of the imagination worthy of a top 5 pick. There are at least 3 defenders on the Alabama roster that I would prefer to see on the Bills.

Jonathan Allen gets better before your eyes. Tim Williams is virtually unstoppable as a pass rusher, and Reuben Foster does everything at lb. Everything, and he hits like a truck.

One major problems of the Bills has been drafting to fill holes. Humphrey, imo, is more of a late first round pick.

We obviously differ on Humphrey. I think he's a fantastic talent already and he's still growing into his game. You know I love most of the Tide defense and I adore Reuben but I think Humphrey has the highest ceiling of the lot.

If you take a look at Eli Apple, he was the 10th overall pick and his tape at OSU was way off Marlon's yet he was an early pick because of athletic ability. No doubt in my mind that he'll be a top pick. Maybe even top 5.

As much as I'd agree we need a QB... If you can't get the one you want, don't reach for one. It's EJ all over again - drafting something because we need it.

We already have a project in cardale, and a mediocre starter. We upgrade the defense and we could possibly be in business. We can't get rid of shady til 2018, and we have watkins. I'd say focus on upgrading pieces around TT, and upgrading some players on defense.

Watching NE play with backup QBs makes you realize how important coaching is - and how a great defense can mask a limited offense.

As much as I'd agree we need a QB... If you can't get the one you want, don't reach for one. It's EJ all over again - drafting something because we need it.

We already have a project in cardale, and a mediocre starter. We upgrade the defense and we could possibly be in business. We can't get rid of shady til 2018, and we have watkins. I'd say focus on upgrading pieces around TT, and upgrading some players on defense.

Watching NE play with backup QBs makes you realize how important coaching is - and how a great defense can mask a limited offense.

There is nothing wrong with reaching for a qb. The problem is the Bills rarely even do that.

If Tyrod flames out, keeping drafting Qbs. And you don't just hand them a job. And once they give a young qb the job, you need to live with him the entire season.

There is nothing wrong with reaching for a qb. The problem is the Bills rarely even do that.

If Tyrod flames out, keeping drafting Qbs. And you don't just hand them a job. And once they give a young qb the job, you need to live with him the entire season.

Also disagree with his assessment of drafting for need. We should be drafting for need. We may have actually had a coherent team if we'd been drafting for need all these years.

We obviously differ on Humphrey. I think he's a fantastic talent already and he's still growing into his game. You know I love most of the Tide defense and I adore Reuben but I think Humphrey has the highest ceiling of the lot.

If you take a look at Eli Apple, he was the 10th overall pick and his tape at OSU was way off Marlon's yet he was an early pick because of athletic ability. No doubt in my mind that he'll be a top pick. Maybe even top 5.

I think that Marlon would go sooner if he was just a tad faster. That said, he certainly does have great skills. It will be fun to see where these guys go.