Jerry Jabber

Are the Pegula's meddling owners?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Pegula's meddling owners?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you referring to Brandon? because he's the President.

Yes. But around here when you question his input into bad football decisions he quickly becomes the marketing guy who has no input and you are belittled by his loyal defenders for even bringing it up. How the hell does a front office guy even have defenders?

I remember when Russ was named the CEO of the Bills right after Chan Gailey was fired. Russ ranted and raved about how the Bills brand was tarnished and he would leave "no stone unturned" in finding the new head coach, only to settle on his third interview [Marrone]. Yeah, that's leaving "no stone unturned," only interviewing three guys? Marrone, the only good things he did was hire two good DC's, Pettine and Schwartz.

I much prefer that approach than the approach that left us with Rex. In 2013 the Bills had an ideal profile of a candidate in mind - they wanted someone experienced at turning around losing programmes. Yes they interviewed Ray Horton - he was one of the hot Rooney rule names that year, and yes they interviewed Chip Kelly - don't think either side took that interview very seriously there were reports it lasted less than half an hour, but look at the three key interviews - Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith and Doug Marrone. All three had experience turning around losing programmes. The Bills had a profile for who they wanted to hire.

In 2015 we interviewed (I think) 13 candidates. It was a total scattergun approach. Anyone and everyone ended up on the list, eventually including Rex Ryan (who Kim Pegula admitted on WGR was a late add to the list of interviews) despite the fact he simply wasn't a fit for what the Bills should have been looking for. It was a total shambles of a process and some of us were saying as much at the time.

I'd prefer something more akin to the process that brought us Marrone - focus first of all on what we are looking for in a Head Coach and then narrow the field to a small pool of candidates who we think fit that profile.

"Exhaustive searches" are not the way to find your Head Coach unless you don't know what you are doing.

I don't think they are meddling. I think they have a dysfunctional setup. They should hire a GM who hires everyone else. Brandon needs to be locked in his office regarding hiring process. So either give the keys to Whaley or fire Whaley and get someone else. Right now it sounds like there's too many chefs in the kitchen.

From the events, I can't disagree with this. The unholy triumverate all reporting to non-football-guys, the Pegulas, doesn't seem to be working out.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/9/19/12968536/buffalo-bills-pegula-rex-ryan-greg-roman-column

In light of last week's events where Bills owners, Terry and Kim Pegula, met with Bills players to discuss what is wrong with the team without meeting with HC Rex Ryan, are they being too much "hands-on" with the team? While it's great that they are not just sitting around and hoping things get better, they are being proactive, but at the same time, the Pegula's do not have professional football experience such as a GM or coach would have. What also comes to mind is the Pegula's involvement in hiring Rex Ryan. It seems the decision to hire Rex was the Pegula's, shouldn't that have been the decision of the GM [Whaley]? I feel a big reason why the Bills never won a Superbowl and weren't more successful was due to Ralph Wilson being a meddling owner. Are we going to have to go through growing pains with the Pegula's while they and figure out how to run a successful football organization?

Yes.

So am I meddling with my house if I take on a remodeling project?

This team is their property.

There are some serious issues with this organization that need to be fixed, and they are not going to sit back and let the same people who ran it into the ground continue to hide.

As to that Buffalo Rumblings article, it's interesting that the one time in the last 30+ years the Bills have had a legitimate star QB they went to Super Bowls and suddenly having a "meddling owner" didn't matter.

Actually the Marrone hiring came about, allegedly, because the Dougie was supposed to be the next hot prospect behind Chip Kelly.

In fact the Bills were the first to fill their coaching vacancy, which was a break from the usual hiring pattern of seeing who was left that would take the job. That's how we ended up with Chan Gailey. There were coaches that refused to even interview for the job. Remember that? Fun times, eh?

Actually, wasn't it more the Syracuse connection between Doug and the team killer Brandon?

There are some serious issues with this organization that need to be fixed, and they are not going to sit back and let the same people who ran it into the ground continue to hide.

As to that Buffalo Rumblings article, it's interesting that the one time in the last 30+ years the Bills have had a legitimate star QB they went to Super Bowls and suddenly having a "meddling owner" didn't matter.

Ralph was always a meddling owner, which is why Chuck Knox left, John Butler left as well as others. The Bills GM back in the 80's died and Bill Polian who was the assistant GM got promoted due to the GM's passing. It was by luck that Polian got the job as GM and turned the franchise around. Polian was the one who convinced Jim Kelly to come to Buffalo as he did not want to play here back in 1983 when he was drafted.

There are some serious issues with this organization that need to be fixed, and they are not going to sit back and let the same people who ran it into the ground continue to hide. As to that Buffalo Rumblings article, it's interesting that the one time in the last 30+ years the Bills have had a legitimate star QB they went to Super Bowls and suddenly having a "meddling owner" didn't matter.

The team is their property to run as they see fit, within the limits of the league's rules. No question. But by bypassing the head coach and meeting with the players (without the coach present) the Pegulas have undermined their coach. That will be a huge issue for every decent potential head coaching candidate once the inevitable firing of Rex occurs. Not to mention that he's got to coach these players for at least the immediate future. It was a shockingly Bush League move by the Pegulas.

The team is their property to run as they see fit, within the limits of the league's rules. No question. But by bypassing the head coach and meeting with the players (without the coach present) the Pegulas have undermined their coach. That will be a huge issue for every decent potential head coaching candidate once the inevitable firing of Rex occurs. Not to mention that he's got to coach these players for at least the immediate future. It was a shockingly Bush League move by the Pegulas.

i agree with you.

I hesitate to give them a label yet though and would rather wait until the dust settles. The organization seems to be undergoing continued turmoil since Ralph stepped away after the 2012 season. The Sabres had a similar thing happen and now it seems Pegula is just along for the ride. They want to be very involved in keeping players and their families happy and comfortable.

Actually the Marrone hiring came about, allegedly, because the Dougie was supposed to be the next hot prospect behind Chip Kelly.

?

not true. that was only on TSW. by butt hurt fans when the Nix/ Brandon/ Whaley interview of Kelly lasted all of 15 minutes. Before Kelly said No Thanks.

Kelly was the ONLY college coach coming out generating big buzz.

Sure other loser teams like the Browns were interested in Marrone. And he would have got a gig But in the end the Bills scooped nobody. Maybe Russ got a little season ticket boost. Say 100 seats. That was no doubt Brandons interest in hiring a medicore college coach.

This board was nuts. It was laughable then and more so today.

Edited by Best Player Available

Russ ranted and raved about how the Bills brand was tarnished and he would leave "no stone unturned" in finding the new head coach, only to settle on his third interview [Marrone].

Russ is going to get a great look at one of those unturned stones this Sunday, because that unturned stone will be standing on the opposing sideline.

Russ is going to get a great look at one of those unturned stones this Sunday, because that unturned stone will be standing on the opposing sideline.

You're right. Arians did a great job of filling in for Chuck Pagano in Indy while Pagano was going through cancer treatment. Russ didn't even bother to interview him and Arians has been very successful in Arizona. Edited by Jerry Jabber

Only in Buffalo would the Marketing guy have any say in

1. Who the Football Coach is.

2. And in control of football administration Budgets

are you referring to Brandon? because he's the President.

Not for nothing here people, he was lousy as a GM and had no business being a GM, but it's hard to argue his business acumen. He is a college graduate from ST John Fisher, Interned with the Bills Executive management, worked for the Yankees and the Marlins during their championships and I have to say a marketing genius. I'm, EVERY year they have put out a crap product and we keep buying what he sells. I hate to admit it, but from a business perspective, If I'm the owner and see that he see what he has "accomplished" I don't know if I could fire the guy. Not as president anyway. If he was GM then yea, fire his a$$.

Not for nothing here people, he was lousy as a GM and had no business being a GM, but it's hard to argue his business acumen. He is a college graduate from ST John Fisher, Interned with the Bills Executive management, worked for the Yankees and the Marlins during their championships and I have to say a marketing genius. I'm, EVERY year they have put out a crap product and we keep buying what he sells. I hate to admit it, but from a business perspective, If I'm the owner and see that he see what he has "accomplished" I don't know if I could fire the guy. Not as president anyway. If he was GM then yea, fire his a$$.

Selling football tickets to this community is about as difficult as selling a bucket of wings to Rob Ryan.