Scripted opening drives

Virgil

Remember when Mularkey was our HC and we almost always marched down field with our first possession and scored a TD? Happened in the second half too.

A lot of good offensive coordinators do this. Have a series of 7-10 plays that are more practiced and roll them out to establish a rhythm.

I feel like we haven't been close to that in this regime and it's the kind of thing TT needs. Gets him confidence and to the line quick.

Just something that jumped in my mind watching games today.

Remember when Mularkey was our HC and we almost always marched down field with our first possession and scored a TD? Happened in the second half too.

A lot of good offensive coordinators do this. Have a series of 7-10 plays that are more practiced and roll them out to establish a rhythm.

I feel like we haven't been close to that in this regime and it's the kind of thing TT needs. Gets him confidence and to the line quick.

I thought somewhere somebody said that Roman scripted the first couple of series here? It was discussed because he (Tyrod) was breaking the huddle way faster ( as much as 10 seconds earlier) and getting the ball snapped quicker than say by the end of the quarter. "but I don't know I was really drunk at the time".

Bill Walsh was the master of scripting offense. I Believe he did as many as the first 30 plays and never deviated no matter what happened.

Roman always scripted his first drive. Unfortunately the script read run, run, pass, punt

You think he had a script for 3rd and 12 already figured in? Maybe Pegs or Rex found that script and figured that if he knew he couldn't make things work, maybe it was time to find someone with a little faith....

I agree with scripted plays, but I don't think you can stick to them as situations (down and distance) changes.... But that would explain the 5 yard out's on 3rd and 7+

I have thought that actually Roman may be scripting the first 10-12 offensive plays and not varying from them. That's great if everything is working. That's not so great if the defense isn't doing what you expect but are giving you something else you could take advantage of

I thought somewhere somebody said that Roman scripted the first couple of series here? It was discussed because he (Tyrod) was breaking the huddle way faster ( as much as 10 seconds earlier) and getting the ball snapped quicker than say by the end of the quarter. "but I don't know I was really drunk at the time".

Bill Walsh was the master of scripting offense. I Believe he did as many as the first 30 plays and never deviated no matter what happened.

I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are.

Tyrod is not capable of 7-10 play drives

The first drive @ Miami last year springs to mind as a really well scripted drive.

It must be a horrible feeling as a play caller when nothing is working and you look down at that sheet and can't find a single play you want to call.

This might be part of the reason he is gone. So frustrated that plays are not getting executed.

Recall when Marrone would call the same running play again and again, as if with practice/gameday, they would execute it. Stubborn is not good.

You think he had a script for 3rd and 12 already figured in? Maybe Pegs or Rex found that script and figured that if he knew he couldn't make things work, maybe it was time to find someone with a little faith....

I agree with scripted plays, but I don't think you can stick to them as situations (down and distance) changes.... But that would explain the 5 yard out's on 3rd and 7+

I always thought the same as well and wanted to know what a "scripted" drive is. Like you it seems absurd that the first 15 plays are designed to be played in order regardless of down, distance or field position. I also considered that basically the script is more of a list of plays like the first 5 plays for 1st and ten, the first 5 plays for 2nd and 4-7 yards etc. I just have never been real clear on what a scripted drive is exactly.

Remember that scripted plays/series are also a great way to get quarterbacks to miss wide open receivers on the first play of the game if you are a Nazi about scripting them.

The idea of scripting plays is not so rigid that the quarterback has to throw to a certain receiver no matter what. He still has to make his reads.

The idea is setting up a series of plays that compliment eachother that are rehearsed so that they can be ran quickly. Like using a stretch running play early to set up the QB to boot off the same motion later in the series when the D is gassed.

The idea of scripting plays is not so rigid that the quarterback has to throw to a certain receiver no matter what. He still has to make his reads.

The idea is setting up a series of plays that compliment eachother that are rehearsed so that they can be ran quickly. Like using a stretch running play early to set up the QB to boot off the same motion later in the series when the D is gassed.

Depends on the coach I suppose and your definition of scripted.

In that Baltimore game, it sure looked like there were a lot of scripted things happening out there - Like plays designed to go to a certain guy no matter what. It seems everybody on this board wants to just blame Tyrod for that when in fact we have no idea why he was doing that. Could it be that much more of Roman's game plan was scripted? Perhaps... The truth is I don't know and neither does anyone else who isn't part of the Bills organization somehow. All I know is that Tyrod wasn't playing like normal Tyrod in that game right from the very first play. Still don't know why.

Depends on the coach I suppose and your definition of scripted.

In that Baltimore game, it sure looked like there were a lot of scripted things happening out there - Like plays designed to go to a certain guy no matter what. It seems everybody on this board wants to just blame Tyrod for that when in fact we have no idea why he was doing that. Could it be that much more of Roman's game plan was scripted? Perhaps... The truth is I don't know and neither does anyone else who isn't part of the Bills organization somehow. All I know is that Tyrod wasn't playing like normal Tyrod in that game right from the very first play. Still don't know why.

Anything is possible from that mess I suppose but I doubt it. If a series is scripted the idea fast pace, don't let the D substitute. Our guys expect what play is next.

The major complaint from that game were calls coming in slow, so no I don't think so.

Anything is possible from that mess I suppose but I doubt it. If a series is scripted the idea fast pace, don't let the D substitute. Our guys expect what play is next.

The major complaint from that game were calls coming in slow, so no I don't think so.

Yes you are right. Much of the game the plays were coming in slow. They were very likely not scripted unless Roman truly was a bafoon.

I was thinking more of how the game started. Like how previous coaches used to like to script the first drive, then just wing it after that.