26CornerBlitz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And Rex hasn't, is that your point?

I guess we will see.

I'm not thinking so cut and dried really, just having a conversation. The defensive performance on Sunday was encouraging.

Amid the talk of guess what system is even older than the 46, I guess I thought it worth noting that it only works because its changed significantly. We need to follow suit, is all.

Defensive coordination isn't my biggest question about Rex but still something of a question. So far, so good!

I'm not thinking so cut and dried really, just having a conversation. The defensive performance on Sunday was encouraging.

Amid the talk of guess what system is even older than the 46, I guess I thought it worth noting that it only works because its changed significantly. We need to follow suit, is all.

Defensive coordination isn't my biggest question about Rex but still something of a question. So far, so good!

That's where I disagree, Wade's (and Bum's for that matter) 34 under front really hasn't changed. The coverages behind that have certainly changed in response to changing passing offenses, but so have Ryan's, Fisher's, Rivera's and other practitioners of the 46 defense.

I'd prefer Rex be a DC exclusively as I think he lack requisite HC attributes. But he can design a defense.

That's where I disagree, Wade's (and Bum's for that matter) 34 under front really hasn't changed. The coverages behind that have certainly changed in response to changing passing offenses, but so have Ryan's, Fisher's, Rivera's and other practitioners of the 46 defense.

I'd prefer Rex be a DC exclusively as I think he lack requisite HC attributes. But he can design a defense.

I don't think we're miles apart I daresay, the bolded looks good after week 1. It was a beautiful thing to actually see the quarterback harassed by Bills pass rushers again.

My favorite thing about Rex' defense is the way he creates jitters for the O-line and quarterback. I LOVE IT when he stacks 7 or 8 around the line of scrimmage and gives them no clue as to who is coming and who is dropping back. Seriously man I can't get enough of that. Be aggressive, make them adjust to what you're doing rather than the other way around. I doubled over in laughter 2-3 times when the Ravens had false starts because our aggression gave them butterflies.

I suppose I still do have some questions that you don't have so I'm happy to see you so confident.

I don't think we're miles apart I daresay, the bolded looks good after week 1. It was a beautiful thing to actually see the quarterback harassed by Bills pass rushers again.

My favorite thing about Rex' defense is the way he creates jitters for the O-line and quarterback. I LOVE IT when he stacks 7 or 8 around the line of scrimmage and gives them no clue as to who is coming and who is dropping back. Seriously man I can't get enough of that. Be aggressive, make them adjust to what you're doing rather than the other way around. I doubled over in laughter 2-3 times when the Ravens had false starts because our aggression gave them butterflies.

I suppose I still do have some questions that you don't have so I'm happy to see you so confident.

Ryan is only doing what he didn't have the balls to do last year and that is we are playing his system instead of the hybrid he tried simply to appease certain veteran DLmen and it was half-assed at best. I don't think he has enough talent at his disposal currently and this is where his scheming will have to compensate. We'll see.

I don't know if I'm confident so much as I'm relieved to see him get back to what he knows best.

I'm happy the defense is coming together. Once everyone is healthy and eligible they could have something special. I'm worried if Rex is let go, the D will have to learn a new scheme and take a step back like last year. Any way possible they retain him as a defensive coordinator and hire an offensive minded head coach? Has that ever happened in the history of firings? I know a lot head coaches go back to coordinating, but ever for the same team right after??

I love the comment section and the cry to do away with an antiquated defense. Want to know a defense that's even older than the 46? Wade Philips' very own 34/under. I doubt anyone would suggest the Broncos scrap their antiquated defense.

Helps to have superior players though.

GO BILLS!!!

I swear, sometimes it looks to me like the D lines up in the Flex Defense on some plays.

In the Baltimore game, DBs were 10 yards away when outside receivers caught stops and outs on 3rd & 7. Sucks, because two years ago the Bills were finally great and very aggressive on 3rd downs. Now, the bend but don't break applies...as in give up 9 yard runs when Baltimore needs a couple of first down to kneel out the game.

Rex gets way too much credit for the great Ravens' defenses. Those players were incredible football players.

In the Baltimore game, DBs were 10 yards away when outside receivers caught stops and outs on 3rd & 7. Sucks, because two years ago the Bills were finally great and very aggressive on 3rd downs. Now, the bend but don't break applies...as in give up 9 yard runs when Baltimore needs a couple of first down to kneel out the game.

Rex gets way too much credit for the great Ravens' defenses. Those players were incredible football players.

The DB's decide where they want to play depending on the situation. it's not typically in the playcall.

Playing off on those stops and hitches can result in INTs if he stares them down.

Nonsense!

The DB's decide where they want to play depending on the situation. it's not typically in the playcall.

Playing off on those stops and hitches can result in INTs if he stares them down.

I've been trying to explain that particular aspect of DB discretion for years now to no avail. I hope you have better luck.

Of course it's evolved just as offenses have evolved. Wade still favors that one-gap, under look in his fronts but there are times he's gonna be on the nose, etc. And, OH MY GOD NO!!!, there are times he even asks Von Miller to drop back in coverage!

Shouldn't that be an automatic firing with no pay?

Wade even when in Buffalo did not stick with a 3-4 always but would adapt. When 2 LB were hurt he switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in one week successfully.

No, the wishbone is not going to work in 2016 no matter how well you communicate and execute. The league is constantly changing so its only natural that some tactics will fall by the wayside.

The league and the rules are constantly changing and teams need to adapt or hide their violation of rules more.

Shouldn't that be an automatic firing with no pay?

Wade even when in Buffalo did not stick with a 3-4 always but would adapt. When 2 LB were hurt he switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in one week successfully.

I remember that. Great job of coaching.