Just got back from the game, in person observations

Virgil

Just got home from the game and was hoping the 75 minute drive would calm me down, but nope...

The Fans

I didn't have a single fan say a word to me about being a Bills fan. The parking lot didn't really fill up until the last hour before the game and none of the tailgating was all that impressive. When watching the game, I only had to stand up 2 times the entire game. The fans were nice, but overall timid and nowhere near the atmosphere the Ralph generates.

Offensive Playcalling and Downfield

The Ravens played with 2 safeties deep most of the game. There were a few times they didn't, but you could tell they were trying to take away the pre-snap read to throw deep. No excuse to not take a single attempt, but it was noticeable moreso than other games.

Almost no spreading of the field with the WR's. Most of the formations had the 2 or 3 WR's on the same side of the field. It made it really easy for the defense to overload one side. That was probably the most noticeable thing to me. The Ravens were able to cutback on our defense with relative ease, while we would get shut down most of the time.

Defense

!@#$ you Dareus. You were incredibly missed up the middle. There was almost no push.

Penalties

The fans were laughing at us by the end. Every time there was a flag thrown, they would joke how they knew it had to be on the Bills. I couldn't say anything because they were right.

Things I think

• I didn't care at the time, but our offense clearly needed more time together in the preseason. They looked completely lost out there. There was no rhythm, unnecessary time outs, and Tyrod's lack of audibles to throw deep was disturbing
    • Roman deserves a lot of blame for the calls. There weren't a lot of players running free down field. The WR's were all running around on one side of the field. TT could have made changes, but the calls didn't set them up well for success.
    • Why did we sign Clay?
  • Every previous year, I could tell myself that the offense just needs to gel in this new system. This year, I got nothing. If this is 8 months of planning, I'm terrified to see what we do with 4 days.
  • This team was not prepared. Penalties, offensive intensity, time-outs, the review (next bullet)
  • Rex looked like a clown reviewing that td. I'm fine with him reviewing it if they thought he was in. I couldn't tell from my seats. But to take that long, show your next play, score, and then have the time-out negate it. THEN, run the same play again...I was embarrassed.
  • Why not more all out blitzes. The one with the all-out blitz, we almost had a pick-6.
  • Defense only gave up 13 points. That's the result. So I respect it. But, it wasn't the aggressive D I was expecting and don't know if other teams would have tore us up more. Baltimore won 5 games last year. Next week will be interesting.
  • Why the hell is Duke Williams ever covering anyone, let alone Mike Wallace? Unless there is a 5th WR on the field, it's Gilmore, Darby, Graham, Williams, then 5 guys, then Duke. It was bad from the snap and it was painful to watch live.
  • Tyrod looked as bad throwing on the run as I've seen him.
  • Offensive playcalling again - If this is what a healthy Woods, Watkins, and Clay gets us....DOOOOOMMMEEEDDDD!!!

I was honestly debating driving up for the game on Thursday and I just can't justify it. I am on the side where I believe that Palmer hit a wall and the Cards may take a step back. Even still, I can easily see us 0-3, 0-4 to start this season.

I started with the fans because it makes me sick to think about our fans. We deserve so much better.

I honestly wonder if this season ends with Roman as our HC.

Edited by FireRex

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there too. Tyrod was so off. Did you see everything he threw was high?

I want to see how he does Thursday. He never looked this bad last year.

Also 14 was wide open all game!

Yes, I had a typo. His high throws were alarming.

As for Sammy, I don't know that I agree with him being open all game. He would find pockets to sit in, but TT doesn't throw people open well.

Yes, I had a typo. His high throws were alarming.

As for Sammy, I don't know that I agree with him being open all game. He would find pockets to sit in, but TT doesn't throw people open well.

That is a huuuuuge problem, and quite frankly if a QB can't do that, I wouldn't want him as a QB.

Edited by old school

Thanks for the report

I am trying to figure out why in a game where we had no power back why would we not spread the Ravens out with our wideouts

It would help Shady find more space

I really think Roman screwed this up

This is the most alarming thing to me. On paper, I thought we matched up well in almost all categories. If I'm spreading out Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, Clay on the line and McCoy in the backfield. I should be giving team fits in space and it looked like we wanted to play on a 15 yard wide field.

If this is the whole playbook being open to TT, throw it out

Thanks for the report

I am trying to figure out why in a game where we had no power back why would we not spread the Ravens out with our wideouts

It would help Shady find more space

I really think Roman screwed this up

With two safeties deep, going the way of Chans horizontal play designs instead of vertical, would've been a viable approach

With two safeties deep, going the way of Chans horizontal play designs instead of vertical, would've been a viable approach

exactly.

i posted this before the game and was very surprised to see that we really didn't have an answer here. A strict cover 2 is going to take away the deep ball against ANY qb in the league, and we knew (I assume) this was how anyone would play TT. So now that you only have 7 in the box, how do you attack it?

Offensive rhythm is the way. Get a short game, get your slot guy and TE's rolling, set up your runs with the short and intermediate stuff. If that's what they give you then that's what you take.

O-line was pretty rough today, but I blame this on the lack of adjustments we made at half.

exactly.

i posted this before the game and was very surprised to see that we really didn't have an answer here. A strict cover 2 is going to take away the deep ball against ANY qb in the league, and we knew (I assume) this was how anyone would play TT. So now that you only have 7 in the box, how do you attack it?

Offensive rhythm is the way. Get a short game, get your slot guy and TE's rolling, set up your runs with the short and intermediate stuff. If that's what they give you then that's what you take.

O-line was pretty rough today, but I blame this on the lack of adjustments we made at half.

What's a slant pass?

exactly.

Exactly.

The Ravens didn't disguise a lot of coverage. They kept 2 deep, put 5 on the line, and 4 rushed. It's sad how little we could adapt

So we missed Dareus ? The 13 points given up by the D is a thing ?

Guess we coulda held them to 10 or pitched a shutout somehow w Duke Williams on a football field.

Don't pick and choose facts.

I even said that the result was good for the defense. 13 points was enough to win. BUT, you could also see the lack of pressure up the middle.

Read everything before attacking.