Shame on VIC

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/09/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-opener-remember/

The media is a huge reason why we are always having negative connotations around our beloved Bills. I know 16 year drought has a lot to do with it, but shame on VIC for this article.

This organization reminds me of the Cubs. Cubs got new ownership, revamped stadium with state of the art equipment, new coach that is proven, new everything. Look where the cubs are.

I feel like things are looking up for our bills. Just like the same situation as cubs. And if we could all stay positive maybe that would help out the team. But articles like this are cancer to a organization. So VIC what are you doing to help out this team. Besides writing shi!#y negative articles. After 30 years I thought I'd see different.

I'll be at the home opener... Driving 500 miles from Chicago. And it is not cause it's a huge party... Not cause of Thursday night... Its because I'm a fu.&ing Bills fan. I love my team. Take this article and shove it VIC.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sixteen years of no playoffs and an offseason that has brought more negative than positive developments has created an atmosphere ruled by cynicism and pessimism.: ~ Vic Carucci.

Vic says there were more negative than positive developments this offseason. Certainly Vic and his fellow BN staff writers have written more negative articles than positive ones. But the injuries to the rooks not withstanding, I'm not unhappy with this offseason. Last season our stars were horribly banged up but our best players are comparatively healthy right now. We're also hearing stories about the defense being much better understood this year and better communication among the players. And we picked up some nice vets to fill out our roster. Certainly, we would have been better if Shaq and Reggie hadn't gotten hurt, but I feel better about this roster than the bandaged roster we fielded last year.

And when Vic talks about a atmosphere ruled by cynicism and pessimism, I assume he means the atmosphere at the Buffalo News. When I listen to interviews with the players and coaches, I note only optimism and confidence.

I'm not predicting playoffs, but I am just as hopeful as I was on opening day of the 1986 season. Vic is a hit-or-miss writer and this is one of his misses.

Press don't have to be fans and write nice things.

Just be fair.

Sadly, I can be full of sunshine and rainbows kind of positive, but it won't stop a stupid penalty on special teams or a strip sack deep in our end. I know, because I've tried.

You can believe that but the coaches and players know the fans and media expect them to fail because of history. That has an effect. When everyone says you won't succeed no matter what you do or how hard you try, don't be shocked when you get what you wish for.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Press don't have to be fans and write nice things.

They also don't always need to seek the friggin negative angle. We've got one moron Jerry Sullivan, we don't need more people deciding they want to be stupid, too.

I'm staying positive. I do every year. I'd be OK with the whole "us against the world thing" though. They need the commitment and resolve in the locker room. I honestly think we have character guys to get this going in the right direction. If they collapsed because some well established schlubs wrote stupid articles, that means I was wrong.

They also don't always need to seek the friggin negative angle. We've got one moron Jerry Sullivan, we don't need more people deciding they want to be stupid, too.

But that's exactly why people don't pay much attention to them. I VERY rarely click on one of their links. I hope our players know what those clowns are. Maybe that's just me...

But I agree, the negativity gets so old...

Just be fair.

You can believe that but the coaches and players know the fans and media expect them to fail because of history. That has an effect. When everyone says you won't succeed no matter what you do or how hard you try, don't be shocked when you get what you wish for.

Exactly....living in Chicago a cubs fan same sh°^ happened.... All you heard even before they got good was watch this team contend for years... Not a article night before opening day saying it's the same old crap. Players and coaches feed off energy. Negative energy persists over buffalo more than any other... We can change this.

Sixteen years of missing the playoffs, they're not seeking it out. It's a very real thing. This team has been awful in a league of parity for a substantial amount of time.

Nobody involved gets the benefit of the doubt because there's so much evidence to suggest it will be bad. Only way perception changes is when the team wins. That goes for local and national media.

Sixteen years of missing the playoffs, they're not seeking it out. It's a very real thing. This team has been awful in a league of parity for a substantial amount of time.

Nobody involved gets the benefit of the doubt because there's so much evidence to suggest it will be bad. Only way perception changes is when the team wins. That goes for local and national media.

And when they win, the fans will eat it up! The local media will continue to be second rate, so I don't care what they say and hope the Bills just recognize it for what it is. What they see in person is game day, and we have GREAT fans!

I didn't think it was that bad. Was kind of ridiculous talking about the 30th anniversary of Kelly's debut with the team, then showing a pic from the ( rather forgettable) 1994 season. That careless oversight aside, Vic was pretty on point. The team's lack of success in this 16 year and counting playoff drought has cast a pall over the organization. At least in the minds of fans and certainly media. Perhaps the team doesn't have that sense but it's hard to think there isn't some effect. The atmosphere around home games has shifted focus to a kind of wild drunk fest than a celebration of the team and all things football. I don't think Vic wasn't being fair here, just noting the giant contrast in optimism among the fan base around today and back in '86. The team had finally gotten the rights to a legit star QB. Today they have one that hopefully is, and the only way they had to get better in the offseason ( the draft) went south with major injuries to the top two picks. Having returning players in better health than last season doesn't make the team better when their competition actually added talent. until the team earns otherwise through on - field success, media and many fans will be highly skeptical of their prospects.

And when they win, the fans will eat it up! The local media will continue to be second rate, so I don't care what they say and hope the Bills just recognize it for what it is. What they see in person is game day, and we have GREAT fans!

In this day and age, negativity will find them. Some fans in any fan base will target players with abuse through social media (if anyone thinks it doesn't happen with Bills fans, search EJ's twitter handle and any number of slurs after London). If it doesn't come from the press, it'll come from somewhere else.

You just have to hope that they're thick-skinned enough to understand the realities of playing for the Bills at this point. Great fans or not, there's a lot of frustration out there. Weight of expectation is real.