Team restructures E. Woods per Rodak

Ohiostyle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hoping they don't break the bank for Gilmore right now. Let the season play out. If Seymour is good enough, he and Darby can hold down the fort. If not, then you sign or tag him. I'd rather they use that money on the front 7 and/or the safety position.

they don't need deals for a while so signing him isn't a huge expense at that position.

Nice, do we have an estimation on where we stand cap-wise now, and what a new deal for Gilmore would fit within that?

This move appears to put the team about $6.5M under the cap right now (if Spotrac is to be believed). Given that Gilmore already counts $11M+ against the cap, I don't think a new deal for him would change much, though the current amount of space would allow them to guarantee a high portion of his 2016 base salary to front-load the cash flow--might be a nice incentive to get him to sign.

Edited by thebandit27

they don't need deals for a while so signing him isn't a huge expense at that position.

Breaking that down by position group, and when other new deals among that group is always something I struggle with. The real ? is Darby, if he goes out and plays #1 CB level, a new deal wouldn't make much sense imo. If not, and Gilmore plays well then he probably enters a new stratosphere of $

This move appears to put the team about $6.5M under the cap right now (if Spotrac is to be believed). Given that Gilmore already counts $11M+ against the cap, I don't think a new deal for him would change much, though the current amount of space would allow them to guarantee a high portion of his 2016 base salary to front-load the cash flow--might be a nice incentive to get him to sign.

FWIW, I love this idea (especially 2 days out from the start of the season). You can really minimize the risk of play declining and dead cap space if you bite the bullet up front. It is pretty much the anti-Saints philosophy.

Really hoping they don't break the bank for Gilmore right now. Let the season play out. If Seymour is good enough, he and Darby can hold down the fort. If not, then you sign or tag him. I'd rather they use that money on the front 7 and/or the safety position.

Agreed. As good as Gilmore may be, he has to prove that he can last a full season and if God willing Bills ever play in January that he'll be available. Otherwise he's worthless.

Agreed. As good as Gilmore may be, he has to prove that he can last a full season and if God willing Bills ever play in January that he'll be available. Otherwise he's worthless.

this doesn't make much sense to me. I haven't noticed other players around the league getting big extensions and FA deals having to prove they can "last a full season." Even if he did "prove this" this year, how would that guarantee he doesn't get hurt the following year? He's either worth it as a player or he's not but I don't see how if he doesn't get hurt this year it proves anything for the future. Edited by YoloinOhio

this doesn't make much sense to me. I haven't noticed other players around the league getting big extensions and FA deals having to prove they can "last a full season." Even if he did "prove this" this year, how would that guarantee he doesn't get hurt the following year? He's either worth it as a player or he's not but I don't see how if he doesn't get hurt this year it proves anything for the future.

His injury last year wasn't some anomaly. It was his own fault attempting a dumb shoulder tackle. He hasn't played a full season since his rookie year. That's legitimately concerning if you're looking to invest that much in a player.

this doesn't make much sense to me. I haven't noticed other players around the league getting big extensions and FA deals having to prove they can "last a full season." Even if he did "prove this" this year, how would that guarantee he doesn't get hurt the following year? He's either worth it as a player or he's not but I don't see how if he doesn't get hurt this year it proves anything for the future.

FWIW, Bandit has tackled it on here a bunch of times. Gilmore's health has been right in line with pretty much all of the top corners in the league. I don't know the exact numbers but it is on this board somewhere.

Breaking that down by position group, and when other new deals among that group is always something I struggle with. The real ? is Darby, if he goes out and plays #1 CB level, a new deal wouldn't make much sense imo. If not, and Gilmore plays well then he probably enters a new stratosphere of $

If they structure Gilmore's contract properly, the break-point will occur after year 3, at which time they can release him and save money on the cap. Darby's new deal (assuming it's an extension) would kick in after the 2018 season, so there is no one season in which they'd be paying 2 premium CB salaries.

FWIW, I love this idea (especially 2 days out from the start of the season). You can really minimize the risk of play declining and dead cap space if you bite the bullet up front. It is pretty much the anti-Saints philosophy.

Exactly. Another bonus to having a cash-heavy owner.

FWIW, Bandit has tackled it on here a bunch of times. Gilmore's health has been right in line with pretty much all of the top corners in the league. I don't know the exact numbers but it is on this board somewhere.

The iron man guys are Sherman and Peterson--they never miss games.

Gilmore's right in line with all the others (Norman, Haden, etc.). He's missed 11 games in his 4 years (same as Norman). Haden has missed 16 games in 6 years.

I don't deny that his health is a concern--it's just not as out-of-the-ordinary as some folks believe.

Is Gilmore's current deal one that was done after 'slotting' the deal based on draft position? Are there any guys left (still on those deals) from the era before doing it the current way? I think JaMarcus Russel was the poster boy for why that system stunk.

Is Gilmore's current deal one that was done after 'slotting' the deal based on draft position? Are there any guys left (still on those deals) from the era before doing it the current way? I think JaMarcus Russel was the poster boy for why that system stunk.

There shouldn't be any guys left on those contracts. I think that Sam Bradford was the last of them.

The iron man guys are Sherman and Peterson--they never miss games.

Gilmore's right in line with all the others (Norman, Haden, etc.). He's missed 11 games in his 4 years (same as Norman). Haden has missed 16 games in 6 years.

I don't deny that his health is a concern--it's just not as out-of-the-ordinary as some folks believe.

Thanks for clearing it up!

Gilmore was done post-CBA. His 5th-year option was picked up, which puts him at the average of the 10 highest-paid CBs in the NFL.

How does Gilmore stack up these big contract guys as far as tackling ability?

He's not as good a tackler as some of the guys, but his numbers are very similar.

Gilmore was done post-CBA. His 5th-year option was picked up, which puts him at the average of the 10 highest-paid CBs in the NFL.

So any new deal would really only be in-line with what we are already going to pay him this year? And would likely only increase in proportion to those other top 10 guys? If so, sign me up