How I would handle the EJ situation right now. Greg Hardy...

So he's not good enough to play for us anyway - and the Vikings are going to bring him in to be their starter? Or are you saying they'd "trade something decent" for a backup?

It's always possible that a coach can fall in love with a guy for some reason or believes his own brand of coaching will make a dud into a stud.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you are right, and that EJ may surprise a lot of doubters if he plays. He is finally showing the development the FO imagined when he was drafted. It's unfortunate he was pushed into a starting position way to soon, and developed all this negativity.

Admittedly, I have always been pulling for EJ, but I sense, more this year than any year past, that he is carrying himself like he knows what he is doing, rather than hoping he doesn't make any mistakes. I know, I know...everyone says he sucks, and I realize he isn't an elite QB, but I think we (Bills fans in general) have been way too quick to heap on him...I know I do it sometimes too (with me it is more Rex than anything) but it is hard to remember sometimes that Rex, or EJ isn't individually responsible for everything that has gone wrong for this team over the last 16 years...the situation that Manuel came to Buffalo was unique to him...he was drafted, with nobody expecting him to start right out of the gate, and with the caveat that management realized he was a project...but he was thrust in as the starter right off, and Bills fans can get ugly pretty quickly...I just don't think the guy is as awful as so many here do...I sense that development you are speaking of as well. I see him being vocal, chastising teammates for screwing up, jawing with opponents who take cheap shots at his teammates...he looks so much more comfortable out there this year. I know, he still isn't as accurate as we would like...but he is about as good a backup QB as we could hope to have this year, realistically.

EJ ya know... knows the playbook and can execute to a reasonable level should our starter get hurt.

It's the hardest job in football, and we'd trade him for pennies just so we can say we got some pennies for him? We can then bring in sanchez, who will be woefully unprepared should something happen to our starter. Sounds like sound logic to me.

As for Hardy - we have enough suspended guys as it stands now. I think they'll pass on the headache.

Edited by dneveu

EJ has value to us as a veteran 1 year stopgap clipboard holder while we back C. Jones away for next year

to another team....EJ has a value of NOTHING

Why cant people understand that......the Ryans are not going to take a chance on having a losing season if TT gets dinged to a not ready rookie

and Greg Hardy is a fricken MENACE........we want him in our locker room?

EJ is a good backup for us but so are a others who could pickup the offense with a few weeks of practice and have the possibility of going .500. Basically, if this situation happened the team would bank on TT not being out the first 3-4 weeks. With that risk assumed, if the Vikings are stupid enough to trade for him and give us a person that could fill a role then I would say go for. That said, its not going to happen.

If it's not going to happen - then why try to make sense of it?

I am of the opinion that EJ has improved from last year. He still has accuracy issues (maybe always will?), but has a much better command of the offense, has better pocket presence, and makes better reads, and decisions. And, of course, backups have other functions, and value beyond standing by in case of injury to the starter. He's a good backup for us, and I can't think of anyone available who would be an improvement.

Greg Hardy is a scumbag, and a psychopath. I hate the idea of him being a Bill. But, then again, once the uniform goes on, redemption is right around the corner...

I'll vote a solid no to both suggestions of the O.P. On trading E.J., why and for what? Let's take $2.8m in dead money against the cap so that the team can trade away the only backup quarterback that has spent any time with the playbook, when you have a starter that got hurt last year because of his ability to run the football. Now you're talking about potentially having to start a rookie that has been wildly inaccurate at times in the preseason, missing his receivers by 5 or more yards on throws. The option if they get rid of E.J. is essentially going out and paying for another veteran backup. Now let's talk about Greg Hardy. He's an on and off the field pariah. A cancer. Is he a talented pass rusher? He is. Do the Bills have enough veteran leadership and locker room unity to handle him? I seriously doubt it. Buffalo handled Enemkpali because there was no risk that he would be anything more than a situational player. A guy like Hardy would be the first to create controversy in the media when he was asked to take the bench when Lawson is ready to come back. Either/both of these moves by the front office would make them look pretty stupid.

I would bring Hardy in to see what kind of physical shape he is in first, then I would shut the door and have a long hearted convo. I think at this point heading into the season Mr. Hardy knows all too well where he messed up at. We took a chance on Hughes, its paid off (minus his bs during a couple of games last season). It never hurts to look a guy in the eyes and tell him who runs the team and the value of leadership.

Id bring him in. It is possible he wised up. But what a beast with him and Hughes on the like coming off those corners....

So you are saying that you would get rid of our backup for a bad draft pick, have a rookie as our backup who is clearly not ready and then bring in a guy who likes to push women around?

You realize that the chances for Tyrod to get hurt are high based upon how he plays correct?

I would bring Hardy in to see what kind of physical shape he is in first, then I would shut the door and have a long hearted convo. I think at this point heading into the season Mr. Hardy knows all too well where he messed up at. We took a chance on Hughes, its paid off (minus his bs during a couple of games last season). It never hurts to look a guy in the eyes and tell him who runs the team and the value of leadership.

Id bring him in. It is possible he wised up. But what a beast with him and Hughes on the like coming off those corners....

How can you even compare Jerry Hughes to Greg Hardy? It's not even close. Jerry Hughes was misused at the Colts and it took longer for him to develop. Jerry Hughes isn't a dirtbag off the field. He gets a few personal fowls but whatever.

Greg Hardy pushed a woman down onto a bunch of automatic weapons, He served a suspension for it. He commented on Tom Brady's Wifes Sister's look and how he wanted to get him some publicly to a camera. Not to mention he was known to be a malcontent at Dallas. Late for meetings, etc..

Are fantasy leagues done yet?

no thanks

So you are saying that you would get rid of our backup for a bad draft pick, have a rookie as our backup who is clearly not ready and then bring in a guy who likes to push women around?

You realize that the chances for Tyrod to get hurt are high based upon how he plays correct?

How can you even compare Jerry Hughes to Greg Hardy? It's not even close. Jerry Hughes was misused at the Colts and it took longer for him to develop. Jerry Hughes isn't a dirtbag off the field. He gets a few personal fowls but whatever.

Greg Hardy pushed a woman down onto a bunch of automatic weapons, He served a suspension for it. He commented on Tom Brady's Wifes Sister's look and how he wanted to get him some publicly to a camera. Not to mention he was known to be a malcontent at Dallas. Late for meetings, etc..

Are fantasy leagues done yet?

I think it's more of "I figured out how to get rid of ej with a twist".

All the rage these days.

Admittedly, I have always been pulling for EJ, but I sense, more this year than any year past, that he is carrying himself like he knows what he is doing, rather than hoping he doesn't make any mistakes. I know, I know...everyone says he sucks, and I realize he isn't an elite QB, but I think we (Bills fans in general) have been way too quick to heap on him...I know I do it sometimes too (with me it is more Rex than anything) but it is hard to remember sometimes that Rex, or EJ isn't individually responsible for everything that has gone wrong for this team over the last 16 years...the situation that Manuel came to Buffalo was unique to him...he was drafted, with nobody expecting him to start right out of the gate, and with the caveat that management realized he was a project...but he was thrust in as the starter right off, and Bills fans can get ugly pretty quickly...I just don't think the guy is as awful as so many here do...I sense that development you are speaking of as well. I see him being vocal, chastising teammates for screwing up, jawing with opponents who take cheap shots at his teammates...he looks so much more comfortable out there this year. I know, he still isn't as accurate as we would like...but he is about as good a backup QB as we could hope to have this year, realistically.

I can find no fault with your opinion.

:thumbsup:

EJ has value to us as a veteran 1 year stopgap clipboard holder while we back C. Jones away for next year

to another team....EJ has a value of NOTHING

Why cant people understand that......the Ryans are not going to take a chance on having a losing season if TT gets dinged to a not ready rookie

and Greg Hardy is a fricken MENACE........we want him in our locker room?

EJ does not have a value of nothing. that's almost silly to say John. Regardless if Bills fans like him or not, he certainly has value. I think the talking has been how much. and that has been all over the road and as biased as an election cycle