Ranking the backups: Geno at 3, EJ at 29

YoloinOhio

NO I'm dead serious. Yes EJ played bad in the jags game. Ironically in that game he didnt start off that bad. Then the wheels came off and brought the team back. They barley lost. I can take ANY quarterback worst game ever and EJ final stats in the JAG game would be better

Truth be told. Just watched the highlights of that game and thought it was worse than it was from all the time I spend on here. First he has a fumble recovered for a td. Then the pick 6. Then another pick at the jags 35. Bad, yes. But watching the rest of the game there were other things that added to the loss. Shady fumbling at the 1 yard line and getting knocked out of the game and the phantom PI. Not having Watkins also.

Not gonna go over it for the millionth time but was worth watching again.

Seems fair. If EJ plays, we lose (period)

He'd probably rank better with the 3s, where his skill set is more appropriate.

Cardele will take the back up reigns soon enough.

Imo

While this may be true, it's also true for every other QB on that list. Anyone who's forced to go to their backup for more than a game or two will be sunk. I'd say EJ has as good a chance to pull out a win as any of those bums,

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/bob-glauber-s-nfl-backup-quarterback-rankings-for-2016-1.12168590

EJ behind some QBs who have never played a regular season snap

Tolzein is ahead of him! Lmaoooo that guy

Lmao...we've all seen Geno...terrible...imagine having 6 games like EJ's first half against Jacksonville and that's what you get with Geno, with a few good games sprinkled in...

I went through most of these backups stats. Many veterans Cassel included were once serviceable but are now on the downside of their career. I'd put EJ in the top 16 only because he's relatively younger at 26, and he has learned for 4 seasons.

EJ is something like 6-10 as a starter but at least he's won games. Not sure how many games some of these guys have even started. He's clearly not good enough to start but 29th in the league as a backup is odd.

Yeah. There are those 5 minutes or whatever in London we'd all like to forget. Other than that, I think EJ's played well for a backup.

i feel that had the injury against Cleveland not happened we would have seen a better EJ. There were times in his rookie year that I felt 100% confident in his abilities.

Fast forward to today...EJ is, by all accounts, a great teammate and serviceable when called upon. He's the first to congratulate Tyrod when we score and the first to greet him after a quick 3 and out. He's not a negative distraction ever (unlike Geno) not to mention on 3rd and 1 who are we going to call in for a hard count to get the defense to jump offsides?

While this may be true, it's also true for every other QB on that list. Anyone who's forced to go to their backup for more than a game or two will be sunk. I'd say EJ has as good a chance to pull out a win as any of those bums,

I guess that's why I picked Daniel, McCown, Foles and McCarron because I think that they could play .500 football. They are "high floor backups" IMO. I want the backup to be a guy that won't lose you games even if he won't win them (think Matt Hasselbeck).

There are others on there (Geno, Ej, Kaepernick, Goff, Boykin, Prescott, and Garoppolo) that have the talent to win you games. At this point though those guys either haven't been seen enough or have performed consistently enough to believe that they would be okay if they need to play 6 games (as an example).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Okay I've reacquainted myself with all the NFL backups....

It breaks down into 4 categories for me - Good backups who will keep you around .500 or maybe better; Serviceable guys that can keep you competitive in games and can win if everything is right around them; Guys you can't win with; Guys who haven't played. So:

Good Backups

1. Colin Kaepernick

2. Brian Hoyer

3. Josh McCown

4. Derek Anderson

5. AJ McCarron

6. Nick Foles

Serviceable

​7. Matt Moore

8. Drew Stanton

9. Colt McCoy

10. Shaun Hill

11. Mike Glennon

12. Case Keenum

13. Landry Jones

14. EJ Manuel

15. Ryan Mallett

16. Luke McCown

Bad Backups

17. Chad Henne

18. Geno Smith

19. Matt Schaub

20. Matt Cassel

21. Brandon Weeden

22. Matt McGloin

23. Kellen Clemmens

24. Dan Orlovsky

25. Scott Tolzien

Unranked

- Jimmy Garoppolo

- Chad Daniels

- Ryan Nassib

- Trevone Boykin

- Dak Prescott

- Brett Hundley

- Trevor Siemian

That has EJ 14/25 of those ranked and many of those unranked teams may well feel better about their guy so somewhere around 20th overall feels instinctively right to me but hard to be definitive on guys who have never taken a regular season snap in anger.

Seems fair. I question if staton may be 'good' over serviceable, but overall I'm aligned with this list