Ranking the backups: Geno at 3, EJ at 29

YoloinOhio

Okay I've reacquainted myself with all the NFL backups....

It breaks down into 4 categories for me - Good backups who will keep you around .500 or maybe better; Serviceable guys that can keep you competitive in games and can win if everything is right around them; Guys you can't win with; Guys who haven't played. So:

Good Backups

1. Colin Kaepernick

2. Brian Hoyer

3. Josh McCown

4. Derek Anderson

5. AJ McCarron

6. Nick Foles

Serviceable

​7. Matt Moore

8. Drew Stanton

9. Colt McCoy

10. Shaun Hill

11. Mike Glennon

12. Case Keenum

13. Landry Jones

14. EJ Manuel

15. Ryan Mallett

16. Luke McCown

Bad Backups

17. Chad Henne

18. Geno Smith

19. Matt Schaub

20. Matt Cassel

21. Brandon Weeden

22. Matt McGloin

23. Kellen Clemmens

24. Dan Orlovsky

25. Scott Tolzien

Unranked

- Jimmy Garoppolo

- Chad Daniels

- Ryan Nassib

- Trevone Boykin

- Dak Prescott

- Brett Hundley

- Trevor Siemian

That has EJ 14/25 of those ranked and many of those unranked teams may well feel better about their guy so somewhere around 20th overall feels instinctively right to me but hard to be definitive on guys who have never taken a regular season snap in anger.

Edited by GunnerBill

I would love if the Bills got Geno for EJ.

Geno has much better throwing accuracy than EJ, but has been terrible at reading coverages. You can get better at reading coverages. It's much harder to become a more accurate thrower..

Geno has much better throwing accuracy than EJ, but has been terrible at reading coverages. You can get better at reading coverages. It's much harder to become a more accurate thrower..

You can't learn if you are not smart. Geno is not smart.

Watch geno's 2014 week 8 vs the bills lowlights and tell me he was accurate.

If you don't want to, here's the result:

Under threw two balls in single coverage and overthrew someone right over the middle. Pulled from the game.

2/8 5yd 3int

If he were a bill, he'd get the ej treatment.

Edited by The Wiz

Under threw two balls in single coverage and overthrew someone right over the middle. Pulled from the game.

2/8 5yd 3int

EJ would never have a stat line that bad.

EJ would never have a stat line that bad.

Not sure if sarcasm or not but I'll assume it is you are talking about the jags game. Which makes my point for me. Every qb has their worst game at some point in their career and it sticks with them(or more so the fans).

Not sure if sarcasm or not but I'll assume it is you are talking about the jags game. Which makes my point for me. Every qb has their worst game at some point in their career and it sticks with them(or more so the fans).

NO I'm dead serious. Yes EJ played bad in the jags game. Ironically in that game he didnt start off that bad. Then the wheels came off and brought the team back. They barley lost. I can take ANY quarterback worst game ever and EJ final stats in the JAG game would be better

2/8 5yd 3int

i don't even think that was Geno's worst game