Bills need to use Sammy in the slot!

Cover 1

Everytime i see Sammy make an acrobatic catch in practice, I think they should pull him out and put bubble wrap around him. Unwrap him for Sept. 11. I see no reason why they need to risk injury with our premier players. Yes, he could always use a little chemistry with Tyrod but do it off to the side i suppose. I'm worried Sammy is one of those guys that will tweak or pull something over a no-nothing practice. He has absolutely nothing to prove in practice. Just be healthy for game 1.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slot, slants, screens. Get the ball in your best playmaker's hands as much as possible. He shouldn't just be used as a big Goodwin.

Sammy could easily challenge for best wr in the NFL with more touches (and better health).

Agreed!

A few thoughts:

- Woods played very little from the slot last year; he played mostly from the boundary.

- Ideally, you'd have a group of guys that can play from multiple spots; it appears that both Sammy and Woods can do that. What they're missing is the 3rd guy.

- Just because Sammy gets more snaps from the slot, that doesn't mean he gets exclusively snaps from the slot. Even if Sammy's slot snaps increase to match Crabtree's in 2012, that would leave over 600 snaps from elsewhere. The same can be said for Woods.

What the team is really in need of is a 3rd option (or a combination of guys) that can take targets in both locations. For example, they'd like to see a guy like Salas or Little prove that he can be a solid possession guy from the slot, and then have a guy like Lewis or Goodwin prove to be able to garner 4-5 targets/game on the boundary. It can be a platoon thing provided that they mix up where Sammy and Woods line up.

We'd all like to have another bona fide boundary target to compliment Sammy, but for a team with a QB that went 0-5 when attempting 30 or more passes last year, that wasn't a priority in the draft.

I don't want to speak for Erik, but I felt that the point was clear: getting Sammy into the slot will create cleaner opportunities for the others--situations where they won't have to be as good in order to get open.

Agreed!

Criticize sports reporters who have never played the game other than Madden but try to try professionals what to do.

I am not trying to criticize neone. Just merely pointing out that he typically used his #1 more in the slot. #s proved that.

Everytime i see Sammy make an acrobatic catch in practice, I think they should pull him out and put bubble wrap around him. Unwrap him for Sept. 11. I see no reason why they need to risk injury with our premier players. Yes, he could always use a little chemistry with Tyrod but do it off to the side i suppose. I'm worried Sammy is one of those guys that will tweak or pull something over a no-nothing practice. He has absolutely nothing to prove in practice. Just be healthy for game 1.

Let's suppose they did that, how much confidence do you have that he'll make it thru the season intact?

A few thoughts:

- Woods played very little from the slot last year; he played mostly from the boundary.

- Ideally, you'd have a group of guys that can play from multiple spots; it appears that both Sammy and Woods can do that. What they're missing is the 3rd guy.

- Just because Sammy gets more snaps from the slot, that doesn't mean he gets exclusively snaps from the slot. Even if Sammy's slot snaps increase to match Crabtree's in 2012, that would leave over 600 snaps from elsewhere. The same can be said for Woods.

What the team is really in need of is a 3rd option (or a combination of guys) that can take targets in both locations. For example, they'd like to see a guy like Salas or Little prove that he can be a solid possession guy from the slot, and then have a guy like Lewis or Goodwin prove to be able to garner 4-5 targets/game on the boundary. It can be a platoon thing provided that they mix up where Sammy and Woods line up.

We'd all like to have another bona fide boundary target to compliment Sammy, but for a team with a QB that went 0-5 when attempting 30 or more passes last year, that wasn't a priority in the draft.

I don't want to speak for Erik, but I felt that the point was clear: getting Sammy into the slot will create cleaner opportunities for the others--situations where they won't have to be as good in order to get open.

You really need to think some more prior to posting. Consider that a constructive criticism.

I'm not saying where or where not Woods did or will line up, what I've said is that he's a classic slot WR. He's not a classic split WR type. He isn't.

Now, if that's true about him not playing slot last year, why do you think that might be? Seriously, don't read further yet, stop and think for a moment or a few moments, and consider our team, and then figure out why that may have been.

It was because Hogan is a classic slot WR too, probably even more so than Woods. Hogan played slot frequently and was just as effective, particularly with Taylor throwing vice Manuel.

After that we had Harvin who rode the bench more than he was on the field and useful. After that we had junk as WRs.

Come on.

If what you said about Woods is true, that he can play all over the field, then he sure hasn't shown us much with 600 yards per season. Far more can and should be expected from even above average WRs that can play any position.

to have success in the slot you have to have two guys on the outside who are borderline good

You're so far ahead of most here.

Don't expect any intelligent responses.

Some here think that a WR that averaged fewer than 12 ypc in college isn't a slot receiver, or if not, that he's above average on the outside.

This is the problem with sports talk in our country, all one has to do is utter some buzzwords and they think they come across as posting intelligently.

There is little if any depth to most discussions.

You're so far ahead of most here.

Don't expect any intelligent responses.

Some here think that a WR that averaged fewer than 12 ypc in college isn't a slot receiver, or if not, that he's above average on the outside.

You like to insult people dont you, You must be a joy at gatherings, or just life in general.

What most are saying is move Sammy around the field and get him the ball. Line him up at X,Y,Z. Line him up in the backfield. Dont just line him up and have him run a go route, which we saw at times last year. Its not a hard concept to grasp, but like you said Some Bills fans don't grasp common sense.

If it aint broke, dont fix it. I'd love to see Sammy get more touches, but he's good enough that Tyrod is able to get him the targets he wants on the outside and I wouldnt want to risk that with an experiment. But maybe it is worth a shot. As long as we dont keep trying it if it doesnt work out.

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Let's suppose they did that, how much confidence do you have that he'll make it thru the season intact?

You really need to think some more prior to posting. Consider that a constructive criticism.

I'm not saying where or where not Woods did or will line up, what I've said is that he's a classic slot WR. He's not a classic split WR type. He isn't.

Now, if that's true about him not playing slot last year, why do you think that might be? Seriously, don't read further yet, stop and think for a moment or a few moments, and consider our team, and then figure out why that may have been.

It was because Hogan is a classic slot WR too, probably even more so than Woods. Hogan played slot frequently and was just as effective, particularly with Taylor throwing vice Manuel.

After that we had Harvin who rode the bench more than he was on the field and useful. After that we had junk as WRs.

Come on.

If what you said about Woods is true, that he can play all over the field, then he sure hasn't shown us much with 600 yards per season. Far more can and should be expected from even above average WRs that can play any position.

I don't understand why people peg Woods as the classic slot WR, what makes them think that? He is fully capable of being a #2, in a higher volumed passing game. Here are his slot #s prior to 15 (15 can be found in the article) in 2014, Woods was in slot 285x, targeted 37x, 22 recs, 2 TDs, 282 yds in slot 49%-'13 126x in slot, 18 targets, 8 recs, 0 TDS, 90 yds in slot 26% of pass snaps.

My point is that using Sammy in the slot will only make the other WRs/TEs outside of him better because he will bring coverage to his side. That rolled coverage is a lot more difficult to execute bc then the LBs are more involved and you know that is a mismatch. It causes other guys to become open....

Edited by TurnerE

I don't understand why people peg Woods as the classic slot WR, what makes them think that? He is fully capable of being a #2, in a higher volumed passing game. Here are his slot #s prior to 15 (15 can be found in the article) in 2014, Woods was in slot 285x, targeted 37x, 22 recs, 2 TDs, 282 yds in slot 49%-'13 126x in slot, 18 targets, 8 recs, 0 TDS, 90 yds in slot 26% of pass snaps.

My point is that using Sammy in the slot will only make the other WRs/TEs outside of him better because he will bring coverage to his side. That rolled coverage is a lot more difficult to execute bc then the LBs are more involved and you know that is a mismatch. It causes other guys to become open....

Turner

Really enjoy your posts.....keep em coming.

His speed and explosiveness is so need d on the outside with maybe an occasional move to the slot. Even with the new rules, it is still more dangerous for injuries in the slot and better for larger WR, and TE's.

Remember Sammy stretched defenses when TT hits on him maybe twice a game for 80 yards a piece. The short and inside open up. The key is TT hitting on Clay and possibly Dez Lewis or Woods on the inside.

His speed and explosiveness is so need d on the outside with maybe an occasional move to the slot. Even with the new rules, it is still more dangerous for injuries in the slot and better for larger WR, and TE's.

Remember Sammy stretched defenses when TT hits on him maybe twice a game for 80 yards a piece. The short and inside open up. The key is TT hitting on Clay and possibly Dez Lewis or Woods on the inside.

Thats my point, by aligning him in the slot and running him deep it'll cause Lbs to have to carry him to the next zone opening up crossing routes/underneath routes by TEs and complementary WRs...

The Bills will need to find ways to get Sammy the ball more in 2016. Using him in the slot will help the offense produce more through the air. In 2015, Sammy was only in the slot 50 times where he caught 6 passes. Roman used Crabtree in the slot 3x as much in 2011 and 2012. Check out this article. It has film and advanced stats to show that using the #1 WR in the slot could pay huge dividends.

http://www.cover1.net/2016/08/slot-production/

Steelers do this with AB... I agree

Slot, slants, screens. Get the ball in your best playmaker's hands as much as possible. He shouldn't just be used as a big Goodwin.

Sammy could easily challenge for best wr in the NFL with more touches (and better health).

Amen!!! Use him every way we can. I love the deep ball to him, but mix it up!

Maybe everyone knows more about offensive game planning than Greg.......

A rather knee jerk retort perhaps?

Thats my point, by aligning him in the slot and running him deep it'll cause Lbs to have to carry him to the next zone opening up crossing routes/underneath routes by TEs and complementary WRs...

What the heck happened to his college routes ? I do not follow college are much beyond the Bills generally. But many folks posted he was fantastic after the catch guy. Behind the line was something mentioned i thought, Screens, sweeps etc.

The NFL is surely a different animal then College ball with mismatching.

It seems like you expect Roman to move him around more. Have we seen him in the backfield yet? is it coming? Perhaps he and Bush?

Very exciting to consider Roman loosening up and having some fun this year and next

Steelers do this with AB... I agree

Thank u

A rather knee jerk retort perhaps?

What the heck happened to his college routes ? I do not follow college are much beyond the Bills generally. But many folks posted he was fantastic after the catch guy. Behind the line was something mentioned i thought, Screens, sweeps etc.

The NFL is surely a different animal then College ball with mismatching.

It seems like you expect Roman to move him around more. Have we seen him in the backfield yet? is it coming? Perhaps he and Bush?

Very exciting to consider Roman loosening up and having some fun this year and next

I do expect him to move him around. He did it w Crabtree. It is funny u mentioned screens, as soon as I started doing research on ways to get Sammy the ball I noticed Roman using a lot more WR screens. But that was his final year in SF when he had boldin who is like a RB playing WR. The Bills did pull that out vs the NYJ in week 17. So yes, I do expect more of that as well...