Bills Cap Situation,Tyrod & Gilmore Deals, Future Outlook

From the second he was drafted, I don't think Gilmore wanted to be here.

Then again, if you look at recent history of our resigned players, it tells well.

Im pretty sure you're wrong about that. There was a while back where he tweeted he hated when reporters talked negativr about the Bills. I think he's just hung up on Josh Norman.

He's a small town guy.

Edited by Billschinatown

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people thought that based on his facial expressions at the draft. But that's just kinda how he is, we've seen the same low key demeanor for years now from him. That says to me that a lot of that initial impression that he wasn't happy about being drafted by the Bills (not just by you, by a lot of people) was just an overreaction to RBF.

Then again, if you look at recent history of our resigned players, it tells well.

A lot of people thought that based on his facial expressions at the draft. But that's just kinda how he is, we've seen the same low key demeanor for years now from him. That says to me that a lot of that initial impression that he wasn't happy about being drafted by the Bills (not just by you, by a lot of people) was just an overreaction to RBF.

That has been debunked long ago. Gilmore is just a pretty reserved guy.

I'll bet we get Gilmore done soon in the 12-13mill per year range. For him to hit the big pay day, he can't get seriously hurt in the next 2 SEASONS!! Hard to turn down a huge guarantee and gamble. Its the same reason Tyrod signed his team friendly deal

He'll have to come off the demand to be the highest paid CB or he'll likely be franchise tagged for the 2017 season.

I'll bet we get Gilmore done soon in the 12-13mill per year range. For him to hit the big pay day, he can't get seriously hurt in the next 2 SEASONS!! Hard to turn down a huge guarantee and gamble. Its the same reason Tyrod signed his team friendly deal

He wants to get PAID above all else IMO

@TheBillsWire

Bills GM calls CB Stephon Gilmore a 'core player' but won't be 'held hostage' in contract talks: https://t.co/bA6e9tCirZ

proxy.jpg?t=HBhCaHR0cDovL3VzYXRiaWxsc3dp

Stephon Gilmore is just 25 years old and entering his prime. He’s a quality man-cover cornerback that has the tools and talent to develop into one of the elite defenders in the league. A player that teammates look to for guidance, Gilmore leads by example and will offer help to fellow teammates when asked.

Coach Rex Ryan’s defense features countless blitz packages and, in order to execute them effectively, cornerbacks need to consistently play man-to-man coverage at a high level. Gilmore has shown that he has that ability and, now with Taylor’s deal done and out of the way, the Bills can focus on retaining another franchise cornerstone.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Janoris Jenkins agreed to a five-year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants.

Jenkins is an exciting player that has returned five of his 10 career interceptions for touchdown. However, he’s allowed 22 touchdowns, the third-most in the NFL and 34 passes of over 20-yards to be completed against him, which is the fifth-most since 2012.

Gilmore is way better. $12.5M to start

$14M tag

Edited by ALF

Janoris Jenkins agreed to a five-year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants.
Jenkins is an exciting player that has returned five of his 10 career interceptions for touchdown. However, he’s allowed 22 touchdowns, the third-most in the NFL and 34 passes of over 20-yards to be completed against him, which is the fifth-most since 2012.
$14M tag

Here's my most recent shot at a contract that I think would get it done:

5 years, $70.75M total value. $39M fully guaranteed at signing (that's $2.5M more in fully gtd money than Josh Norman).

Season Base Signing Bonus Misc. Bonus Cap Hit Dead Hit Savings

2016 $2M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $7.75M $39M -$31.25M

2017 $4M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $9.75M $32M -$22.25M

2018 $8M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $13.75M $23M -$9.25M

2019 $12M (gtd*) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $17.75M $10M $7.75M

2020 $16M $5M (gtd) $0.75 $21.75M $5M $16.75M

* Base salary for 2019 becomes fully guaranteed on 3rd day of 2019 league year

The above structure allows the agent to report that the contract has $51M in "guaranteed" money, which means he got more than the $50M "guaranteed" that Norman got, so in all ways the contract surpasses that of Norman.

It also allows for Gilmore to be released/extended/restructured after the 2018 season, which is also the final year of Darby's deal. Assuming the team can sign Darby to an extension prior to 2018--one that kicks in after the 2018 season--they should be able to lock up their cornerback duo for the next 3 seasons without having to pay both a massive cap number in the same year.

Also, the above contract would keep Gilmore's cap number below that of the 2016 franchise tag number for CBs through the 2018 season, which is phenomenal value for a #1 CB.

$14M tag

tag for cb this year was 13.9, up from about a mil the year before so next year it would be around 15 mil or so.

The Bills are really going to try and get a deal done ASAP IMO. I think they are willing to pay a fair amount and perhaps even push the envelope a bit higher. Gilmore wants to be paid like a top corner but most will agree that the top salaries for corners has gone to extremes. Gilmore will be asked to take less than what his agent is gunning for. The agents job is to is to attempt to increase the NFL's value on CB's, creating an advantage for anyone trying to sign a DB. Bottom line is that it is still a negotiation. Buffalo wants a fair deal but may be willing to pay more than they initially offered.

The front office would benefit greatly for getting a deal done now rather than wait, so they are certain to offer a higher dollar amount. What they don't want to do is wait for the market to increase a DB's value even more.

A couple other things that are playing in though. The Bills have some very talented DB's behind Gilmore. This gives the Bills a small amount of ammunition but Gilmore is still in the driver's seat. He commands a big contract because he has proven himself. That does not grow on trees in the NFL. Hopefully a deal can get done. All it takes is finding some common ground in the negotiating room.