Bills starting lineup 2016

TUBSTER

I would really like to see Dareus at DE. I know our last venture into the 3-4 was an utter disaster, but one of the stars in it, I believe, was KW at NT. I know it is not popular, but I think the Dareus will be much better than KW at DE, better than the difference between KW and MD at NT. I think he can hold that role well enough in the defense Rex likes to run.

I would really like to see Dareus at DE. I know our last venture into the 3-4 was an utter disaster, but one of the stars in it, I believe, was KW at NT. I know it is not popular, but I think the Dareus will be much better than KW at DE, better than the difference between KW and MD at NT. I think he can hold that role well enough in the defense Rex likes to run.

While I agree that Dareus would be a great fit at the 5-tech, I think you're going to see a lot of rotation between Dareus/Kyle/Washington/Bryant at all 3 DL positions, just the same as I think you'll see a lot of rotation among Hughes/Manny/Shaq-once-he's-healthy at EDGE.

It seems like there's been a lot of chatter about our rookies. Shaq and his injury... Ragland and his potential to be a thumper... Cardale and his raw long-term potential... Jonathon Williams, his underrated potential and DUI... Listenbee and his speed... Seymour, his eyesight and ability to surprise...

Oddly A. Washington doesn't seem to get talked - or written - about as much as his 2016 rookie classmates. Yet he's a projected starter.

I suppose given his history with women of a certain profession, it's good he's staying out of the limelight.

Otherwise nothing too surprising.

Huge hole in coverage OTM though as was to be expected.

I think Marcel gets moved all over the place to be honest......

Sounds to me like this is strictly an "on paper" thing. By everything we've heard Ryan's D isn't going to be a consistent 3-4 by a long shot and given his propensity to move players around using his "complex" schemes.

Lots of weaknesses for opponents to exploit though.

Weak OTM in the pass D dept.

Manny on the outside? Hardly solid.

Washington and Ragland unproven, and frankly, I'll be surprised if Washington's on the field for over 50% of the team's snaps unless Kyle goes out again which I 'spose is likely at his age and recent injury history.

Seems as if our D is built to stop the run with the exception of the CBs which are tops.

Same for the O, it's built around the run. Team is livin' in the '90s with its smarter-by-half approach.

It seems like there's been a lot of chatter about our rookies. Shaq and his injury... Ragland and his potential to be a thumper... Cardale and his raw long-term potential... Jonathon Williams, his underrated potential and DUI... Listenbee and his speed... Seymour, his eyesight and ability to surprise...

Oddly A. Washington doesn't seem to get talked - or written - about as much as his 2016 rookie classmates. Yet he's a projected starter.

I suppose given his history with women of a certain profession, it's good he's staying out of the limelight.

i think people may be surprised at how good of a pass rusher Adolphus is. Edited by YoloinOhio

He's got a "character" history from OSU.

I know that a lot of Bills fans are expecting him to shine, but by almost all accounts he ran hot/cold, showed up when he felt like it more or less. That's not a trait that typically sees character guys straighten themselves out at the pro level.

Full disclosure, I wasn't a fan of that pick, or of the first two for that matter. I'd have taken Treadwell and Whitehair instead. Just sayin'.

Either way, Washington has no experience playing DE nor is his skillset from OSU suited to it.

Here's his draft analysis from nfl.com;

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/adolphus-washington?id=2555235

I don't see anything in there at all that suggests he'll make a good DE. His weaknesses hardly suggest that he'll be good getting around even average NFL tackles.

Otherwise, anyone reading that should be concerned about his ability to start immediately. His strengths suggest success at OSU where he overmatched his opponents largely speaking, but don't say much for his success at this level where his weaknesses are going to be far more highlighted than his strengths.

i.e. ...

has experience as both a one and two gap defender. (i.e. not as a DE)

Needs added strength in lower half and to play with wider base to improve balance.

Play was ragged and fatigued against Michigan State in the fourth quarter when his team needed him most.

Not even a participation ribbon as a bull ­rusher.

Needs to play square to the line of scrimmage and utilize his punch.

So I can see why Ryan wants him to play DE, but playing "ragged and fatigued" and being able to put moves on collegiate Gs is hardly suggestive that he's ready to take on NFL caliber OTs. OTOH he's not going to be able to "play square" at the LoS from the DE position, which contradicts his value.

Again, one more reason for seriously questioning this draft's selections, especially when a number of WRs that could have started were still available.

Edited by TaskersGhost

While I agree that Dareus would be a great fit at the 5-tech, I think you're going to see a lot of rotation between Dareus/Kyle/Washington/Bryant at all 3 DL positions, just the same as I think you'll see a lot of rotation among Hughes/Manny/Shaq-once-he's-healthy at EDGE.

Agreed 100%. They'll all be factors. It doesn't really matter whose face they show on CBS at the beginning of the game.

Cardale and his raw long-term potential...

It's waaaay too raw.

He'll never amount to anything in the NFL and the team should have known that.

It's absurd that anyone would credit him for "winning 10 games" as a QB having thrown a grand total of 15 TDs on an average of not a whole lot more than 200 yards/game, especially given OSU's 2nd-ranked scoring D and Ezekiel Elliott's presence.

To say that he's raw is to understate matters. I have no idea why he'll even be in the NFL in 2018.

i think people may be surprised at how good of a pass rusher Adolphus is.

I am expecting him to be a good pass rusher

I am worried about his run stop

It's waaaay too raw.

It's absurd that anyone would credit him for "winning 10 games" as a QB having thrown a grand total of 15 TDs on an average of not a whole lot more than 200 yards/game, especially given OSU's 2nd-ranked scoring D and Ezekiel Elliott's presence.

To say that he's raw is to understate matters. I have no idea why he'll even be in the NFL in 2018.

This is just stupid stupid stupid

You cant make a comment like this and expect it to go unchallenged....he is a DEVELOPMENTAL ROOKIE....you have absolutely no idea how C. Jones is gonna work out

Kyle Williams at DE?

Sure. Who's smoking what here.

Otherwise nothing too surprising.

Huge hole in coverage OTM though as was to be expected.

IMO, Kyle is a terrible fit as a 5-tech end, and that's why he won't play the 5-tech much of the time. In reality, when he lines up at "end", he'll be in a 3-tech (on the outside shoulder of the guard) or a 6-tech (on the outside shoulder of the OT), with the Rush 'backer on the outside edge.

It's far more likely that Bryant and Washington--who have much better length--will play the 5-tech.

He's got a "character" history from OSU.

I know that a lot of Bills fans are expecting him to shine, but by almost all accounts he ran hot/cold, showed up when he felt like it more or less. That's not a trait that typically sees character guys straighten themselves out at the pro level.

Full disclosure, I wasn't a fan of that pick, or of the first two for that matter. I'd have taken Treadwell and Whitehair instead. Just sayin'.

Either way, Washington has no experience playing DE nor is his skillset from OSU suited to it.

Here's his draft analysis from nfl.com;

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/adolphus-washington?id=2555235

I don't see anything in there at all that suggests he'll make a good DE. His weaknesses hardly suggest that he'll be good getting around even average NFL tackles.

Otherwise, anyone reading that should be concerned about his ability to start immediately. His strengths suggest success at OSU where he overmatched his opponents largely speaking, but don't say much for his success at this level where his weaknesses are going to be far more highlighted than his strengths.

i.e. ...

has experience as both a one and two gap defender. (i.e. not as a DE)

Needs added strength in lower half and to play with wider base to improve balance.

Play was ragged and fatigued against Michigan State in the fourth quarter when his team needed him most.

Not even a participation ribbon as a bull ­rusher.

Needs to play square to the line of scrimmage and utilize his punch.

So I can see why Ryan wants him to play DE, but playing "ragged and fatigued" and being able to put moves on collegiate Gs is hardly suggestive that he's ready to take on NFL caliber OTs. OTOH he's not going to be able to "play square" at the LoS from the DE position, which contradicts his value.

Again, one more reason for seriously questioning this draft's selections, especially when a number of WRs that could have started were still available.

Again, if you're looking at Washington as a pure DE, then he's not a great fit. I doubt he'll play as a DE in a 4-man front.

He'll most likely rotate between 5T/3T, and play some 1-tech nose (like Rex used to do with Mo Wilkerson on occasion) to mix things up.

His skill set actually lends itself quite well to Rex's scheme. From your link:

Active interior pass rusher who uses head fakes and foot quickness to open doors to a guards edge. Able to string together pass rush moves and counters. At his best on the move. Can be tough to reach and secure for offensive linemen thanks to lateral quicks. When rush has stalled, will gather himself and look to get his hands in the passing lane. Plus change of direction talent and can hound a runner who tries to bounce it outside. Adequate power at the point of attack and has experience as both a one and two gap defender. Productive tackler with extended tackle radius to get in on the action. Will win if consistently single blocked.

^That reads like an ideal down lineman for a 3-man front.

It's waaaay too raw.

Cardale is no threat to see the field in 2016.

That said, he's got a prototype body with very real arm talent, so it's no wonder why a team would spend a mid-round pick on a prospect with a bundle of physical ability if the upside is that he could be a contributor at the most important position in sports.