Help from this draft-class is already fading (Williams DUI)

Ronin

I think unions and the mob control of such killed our fair hometown and am far from a union supporter .

But as i understand it, New York simply has told Uber its drivers need the same level of insurance that cabs are required to carry in New York . Uber has said that if that is required, its drivers would not make money and not be profitable. So no go for Uber in NY State outside of the city

In NYC, Uber idrivers do carry same insurance limits that cabs carry as they deem that market to be profitable even with the increased costs.

BTW, not sure how it works in other markets, and i am a heavy user of ride share services..use Lyft more than Uber, but starting to use Uber Pool quite frequently , especially in DC

Uber is a company predicated upon insurance fraud. If you were to set the under/over at 70% for drivers who don't declare the commercial use of their vehicle to insurance companies to dodge the premiums, I'm taking the over and it's not even close.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing he was not hired for his brains. What an idiot- i know they are kids, but honestly they have real opportunity - don't blow it over something stupid. It's hard enough to avoid injuries without hurting yourself.

Yeah, unfortunately for the sake of rational discussion and argumentation posts like that contribute absolutely nothing to true debate/discussion. Unfortunately they're more the rule than the exception.

It's a shame how much these threads show up on here

I'm not, not at all. But the cab industry is HEAVILY regulated, to the extent that competition with ride sharing companies isn't even possible.

Those regulations were something cab companies put in place to keep competition out. Now it's biting them in the ass.

If you're a rookie who hasn't played a snap yet...seriously, you can't take 3 months and not do something stupid?

That cabbies had to pay governments thousands of dollars, in many cases hundreds of thousands of dollars for the badges that allowed them to operate when Uber drivers don't have to do a thing gives the cabbies a bit of a beef. That and Uber's (amongst others) willfill destruction of the current employer employee relationship is enough to make me not use the service, convenient though it may be.

For example, in Philadelphia, a new cab medallion costs 350 thousand dollars. For one.

Except cab drivers don't pay for or own the medallion....so, no.

Yeah, I have mystical powers that forecasted to me, and only me, that JW was going to have a DWI yesterday.

Thanks for sticking to the actual topic and not making the thread about me. LOL

The way these threads devolve is comical, it's almost every single one. Attention deficit disorder strikes en masse often.

LOL

Great substance added to the topic. Once again, I speak to how these threads devolve.

It is difficult to give a large amount of attention to such a weak topic.

You have the bare minimum of my attention.

This is a little disconnected from reality though. Lawson was a known issue coming out of the draft. The Bills front office have said point blank that he could have played and started the season, but they wanted to take care of the issue for the long-term. Honestly, I like that approach. It's not short sighted. Ragland is going to start. He has some challenges with pass coverage, but so what? They didn't draft him for his pass coverage. Adolphus Washington is going to start. He's already listed as a starter on the depth charts and we've heard the same thing from the front office. That covers the top-3, where even Whaley said if they can land 2-3 decent contributors in the draft that it's a good draft. Cardale is a project so I'll shelve him. JW has been a surprise contributor in OTA's, but it's not like they expected him to leapfrog Karlos or Gillislee. Hearing some pretty good things about the 218th pick in the draft where you would expect to get nothing can't be a bad thing. At this point, I read you as a bit of a Debby Downer/Negative Nancy. You want to tell people that the sky is falling and the end is near, but it's just not couched in reality.

It's funny, the "Debby Downer/Negative Nancy" comments always amuse me given the status for futility that this team represents.

I realize that having made the playoffs last year, ... oh wait, didn't happen, ... I guess almost having made ..., oh wait, didn't happen; Ah well, at least we've improved ..., damn, we've actually lost more talent than we've gained in a proven manner.

Seriously? You cannot understand how more fans than not are more critical and skeptical than optimistic? Really?

Otherwise, I get the impression that you don't know what you're talking about. Big deal that Ragland cannot cover? Seriously? In a league where passing dominates, and where we have two starting ILBs, and frankly no depth there, with cover skills, you don't think for even a moment that this may end up being a liability? Again, really?

As to Washington, he's a starter? Really? If I knew you better and personally I'd bet the farm that he won't crack the starting lineup the entire season. At which position do you see him starting?

Otherwise, I'm looking at the three most credible sites that I know of for our depth chart, BB.com, BD, and CBSS, and two have him listed as depth with BB.com not even having the chart up yet. So where do you get this info?

Which credible depth chart are you looking at that reveals him as a starter and over which current player has he been chosen as the starter? He's an interior lineman and not an edge-rusher, so it would have to be either Kyle Williams or Dareus. Since I've apparently missed it, which one of the two is he going to supplant because he's so good already?

It'll be half a miracle if either Gillislee or Seymour do much besides special teams this season.

Re: Lawson you sound like a team representative backtracking on the rationale for even selecting Lawson. The selection is hardly one that has made Whaley look good around the league, it certainly hasn't done much for our medical staff that originally said that he would make it through the season and then have surgery. Lawson was hardly a "known issue" for our medical staff who said the complete opposite of that he would have to miss time. He was a known issue for the rest of the league apparently.

Either way, of our first five picks, the 1st is out, our 3rd is a depth player according to any credible depth chart and contrary to your claim, our 4th was among the dumbest picks ever and won't ever amount to anything much less a decent NFL QB, and our 5th now has character issues and an issue that significantly reduces his ability to make the team.

This essentially leaves us with Ragland to make an impact, besides our two 6th-rounders that is, and do we really need to rehash Whaley's history with 3rd-rounders and beyond much less his 6th's? ... Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, Chris White, Dustin Hopkins, Tony Steward, Nick O'Leary.

I can see how some people here seem to think that this is cause for optimism. LOL

Yeah, unfortunately for the sake of rational discussion and argumentation posts like that contribute absolutely nothing to true debate/discussion. Unfortunately they're more the rule than the exception.

Look in the mirror dude.

You ignore every point that runs contrary to whatever is your diatribe du jour. Vis-a-vis:

- You went totally obtuse in the discussion of the Bills' run game when it was pointed out to you that it makes no sense to remove QB rushing yards for Buffalo but not for the rest of the league.

- You've thrice refused to respond to two different articles that put into context Sammy Watkins' performance relative to his peers on a per-target and per-pass-attempt basis.

Further, there has been more than one rational point made in this thread that runs counter to the very crux of your argument, yet you seem to only acknowledge one if you intend to immediately shout it down.

Well, let me provide one that won't be shouted down so easily...

- To say that Shaq Lawson is "out and unlikely to contribute much if at all this season" is hyperbole at best. He's likely to miss 5-6 games. Odell Beckham had an incredible rookie year after missing a similar timetable, so let's not completely dismiss him yet, as it's not prudent to do so in any manner. SLAP tears heal pretty reliably, and he was a very good college player with the injury.

- Shady finished in the top-12 of the league in rushing yards and top-half in yards/carry (and in the top 6 in yards/game) despite missing 3 games last year due to injury, so to assume he can't perform 2 months from now because he was held out of one practice with a hamstring tweak is presumptuous at best; it's flat-out silliness at worst.

- If Sammy Watkins' status is truly "indeterminable", then why is he out there running sprints right now? Looks like he's already back to doing some work, so it's just a matter of whether or not he can be 100% 2 months from now--seems pretty reasonable if he's already running full-speed. Given that he ostensibly smoked most of the league once he started getting targeted reliably, and he was less than 100% while doing so, I feel pretty confident that we don't have to worry.

- Jonathan Williams' DWI does nothing to portend failure as a rookie. He could potentially miss time due to league suspension, but again, we're not talking about a wasted draft pick because he misses 2 games.

This isn't even close to the worst supporting cast in franchise history--compare the crop of Watkins, Woods, Clay, & McCoy to the 2011 group of Stevie, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler and Fred Jackson...please.

I'm not sure if you're still serious about some of this stuff, but if nothing else, your posts appear to draw a crowd, so good job with that.

Edited by thebandit27

How did this go from DWI to Uber?? Wow! In this day and age DUI-DWI has changed a lot. The truth be told that now a couple beers can get you in trouble. Years ago it was a couple of pitchers. The witch hunt has been on for a couple years. Lets be honest now. We all have had one to many and drove. I'm saying that and am 71.

So fifth round draft pick gets a DUI and that spells doom? Guy hasn't even made the team yet.

The latter part of your comment actually feeds into the thread topic more than the first. That kind of talk/thinking is unacceptable here at this time of year however. Don't ya know, all of our draft picks are gonna help us make the playoffs. ;)

Look in the mirror dude.

You ignore every point that runs contrary to whatever is your diatribe du jour. Vis-a-vis:

- You went totally obtuse in the discussion of the Bills' run game when it was pointed out to you that it makes no sense to remove QB rushing yards for Buffalo but not for the rest of the league.

- You've thrice refused to respond to two different articles that put into context Sammy Watkins' performance relative to his peers on a per-target and per-pass-attempt basis.

Further, there has been more than one rational point made in this thread that runs counter to the very crux of your argument, yet you seem to only acknowledge one if you intend to immediately shout it down.

Well, let me provide one that won't be shouted down so easily...

- To say that Shaq Lawson is "out and unlikely to contribute much if at all this season" is hyperbole at best. He's likely to miss 5-6 games. Odell Beckham had an incredible rookie year after missing a similar timetable, so let's not completely dismiss him yet, as it's not prudent to do so in any manner. SLAP tears heal pretty reliably, and he was a very good college player with the injury.

- Shady finished in the top-12 of the league in rushing yards and top-half in yards/carry (and in the top 6 in yards/game) despite missing 3 games last year due to injury, so to assume he can't perform 2 months from now because he was held out of one practice with a hamstring tweak is presumptuous at best; it's flat-out silliness at worst.

- If Sammy Watkins' status is truly "indeterminable", then why is he out there running sprints right now? Looks like he's already back to doing some work, so it's just a matter of whether or not he can be 100% 2 months from now--seems pretty reasonable if he's already running full-speed. Given that he ostensibly smoked most of the league once he started getting targeted reliably, and he was less than 100% while doing so, I feel pretty confident that we don't have to worry.

- Jonathan Williams' DWI does nothing to portend failure as a rookie. He could potentially miss time due to league suspension, but again, we're not talking about a wasted draft pick because he misses 2 games.

This isn't even close to the worst supporting cast in franchise history--compare the crop of Watkins, Woods, Clay, & McCoy to the 2011 group of Stevie, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler and Fred Jackson...please.

I'm not sure if you're still serious about some of this stuff, but if nothing else, your posts appear to draw a crowd, so good job with that.

You forgot to add that the average Bills' fan's sphincter has sunburn too.

;)

Let's include all of the best-case scenarios with your sunny-side up rose-colored viewpoint. I'm sure that Listenbee and Seymour will have ROTY seasons too.

That cabbies had to pay governments thousands of dollars, in many cases hundreds of thousands of dollars for the badges that allowed them to operate when Uber drivers don't have to do a thing gives the cabbies a bit of a beef. That and Uber's (amongst others) willfill destruction of the current employer employee relationship is enough to make me not use the service, convenient though it may be.

For example, in Philadelphia, a new cab medallion costs 350 thousand dollars. For one.

I have zero concerns what someone paid to enter a market/business..zero. Classic case of the transformation our economy is in where disruption is king, capital does not rule anymore, ideas rule!

BTW, that same medallion costs $50K this year...and most likely goes away completely soon

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/09/price-philadelphia-taxi-medallion-keeps-dropping/

And guess what, they sold ZERO last year, and will sell ZERO this year.

Pager services paid a chit ton to use the airwaves as well...sure tthese guys wanted money back from the government as well

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/30/us/airwaves-auctions-bring-833-million-for-us-treasury.html?pagewanted=all

And i do understand though saying if you going to shuffle people around for pay, here is what you need to do from an inspection and insurance standpoint..no matter how you get rides

I am sure phone companies were just as pissed when they paid all kinds of money to put phone booths in every airport and street corner.

The latter part of your comment actually feeds into the thread topic more than the first. That kind of talk/thinking is unacceptable here at this time of year however. Don't ya know, all of our draft picks are gonna help us make the playoffs. ;)

;)

Let's include all of the best-case scenarios with your sunny-side up rose-colored viewpoint. I'm sure that Listenbee and Seymour will have ROTY seasons too.

Please let me know when your done with the punchbowl.......we need to sanitize it

Look in the mirror dude.

BTW, yes, let's talk looking in the mirror, shall we.

The "best case" for Lawson is mid-October. And what, you expect him to hit the field in mid-season form for a vet after this? Really?

IMO that's a horribly ignorant viewpoint to think that someone that will have gone what he's gone through, and a completely unproven rookie that's got no better chance of exceling than any other rookie out there in a field where it will be beating odds if even 50% of the 1st-rounders play as they're expected to, that he's going to come in and make a significant impact even remotely soon after returning after missing all of camp, preseason, and a good chunk of the regular season.

Then you mention Watkins, if he makes it through this season without further injury issues that'll be a miracle in and of itself. And your suggestion that his "running sprints" is even close to the vigors of an NFL season, ... seriously?

You're out of touch.

Please let me know when your done with the punchbowl.......we need to sanitize it

You guys crack me up.

This place has potential if people can ever get past the social media aspect of it.

It is amusing however. :)

Edited by TaskersGhost

;)

See, this right here is the de facto example of why you're a total hypocrite.

You start a thread saying that this draft class won't contribute because Shaq won't play and/or won't be effective if he does (which you have absolutely no way of substantiating) and Jonathan Williams got a DWI (which may or may not result in him being suspended for a few games), and choose to include guys that aren't even rookies in order to bolster a point that started out weak to begin with.

When someone decides to call you out for ignoring literally everything that runs counter to your crusade, your response is to criticize the person and make a strawman argument about other rookies that nobody brought up.

A nickel's worth of free advice: if you want to generate "quality discussion" as you claim to want to do, try actually thinking about what others are pointing out to you and formulating a logical response.

I've yet to see you so much as consider that anyone with any opinion that doesn't match yours could potentially have a point.

It's funny, the "Debby Downer/Negative Nancy" comments always amuse me given the status for futility that this team represents.

I realize that having made the playoffs last year, ... oh wait, didn't happen, ... I guess almost having made ..., oh wait, didn't happen; Ah well, at least we've improved ..., damn, we've actually lost more talent than we've gained in a proven manner.

Seriously? You cannot understand how more fans than not are more critical and skeptical than optimistic? Really?

Otherwise, I get the impression that you don't know what you're talking about. Big deal that Ragland cannot cover? Seriously? In a league where passing dominates, and where we have two starting ILBs, and frankly no depth there, with cover skills, you don't think for even a moment that this may end up being a liability? Again, really?

As to Washington, he's a starter? Really? If I knew you better and personally I'd bet the farm that he won't crack the starting lineup the entire season. At which position do you see him starting?

Otherwise, I'm looking at the three most credible sites that I know of for our depth chart, BB.com, BD, and CBSS, and two have him listed as depth with BB.com not even having the chart up yet. So where do you get this info?

Which credible depth chart are you looking at that reveals him as a starter and over which current player has he been chosen as the starter? He's an interior lineman and not an edge-rusher, so it would have to be either Kyle Williams or Dareus. Since I've apparently missed it, which one of the two is he going to supplant because he's so good already?

It'll be half a miracle if either Gillislee or Seymour do much besides special teams this season.

Re: Lawson you sound like a team representative backtracking on the rationale for even selecting Lawson. The selection is hardly one that has made Whaley look good around the league, it certainly hasn't done much for our medical staff that originally said that he would make it through the season and then have surgery. Lawson was hardly a "known issue" for our medical staff who said the complete opposite of that he would have to miss time. He was a known issue for the rest of the league apparently.

Either way, of our first five picks, the 1st is out, our 3rd is a depth player according to any credible depth chart and contrary to your claim, our 4th was among the dumbest picks ever and won't ever amount to anything much less a decent NFL QB, and our 5th now has character issues and an issue that significantly reduces his ability to make the team.

This essentially leaves us with Ragland to make an impact, besides our two 6th-rounders that is, and do we really need to rehash Whaley's history with 3rd-rounders and beyond much less his 6th's? ... Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, Chris White, Dustin Hopkins, Tony Steward, Nick O'Leary.

I can see how some people here seem to think that this is cause for optimism. LOL

Why don't you listen to a Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley press conference this offseason. Adolphus Washington AND Kyle Williams are the penciled in starters at DE with Dareus in the middle. That's a fact. Ragland can cover about as well as Brandon Spikes could which is OK, but not great. Again, they didn't move up in the draft to get a COVERAGE linebacker. It's stupid if you think they did. In terms of Lawson, he was a known issue to FANS. You suggesting that somehow, the front office didn't know about something that fans did is also pretty stupid. For the rest of the draft picks, I really don't care. They're TBD. None the less, the sky isn't falling like you think it is. You've created it in your warped mind where only you can see it.