When did tailgating start at Rich/the Ralph?

I was wondering after so many comments about why we love the Bills, someone said the tailgating. I used to live in Buffalo during the Knox years and went to several games when endzone seats could be had for $8.

I don't remember tailgating in those days and no it became extremely popular when the Bills were going to Superbowls. Did one guy start it and it kept rolling. That brings up another question for people who have tailgated elsewhere. Who does it best. I've done it at Gillette, but I think its only popular since it is so hard to leave the stadium on RT 1 after the games.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my totally made-up answer. Bills fans who tried to bring their kegs into the new Rich Stadium were turned away at the gate and were forced to drink them in the parking lot.

Who'd-a-thunk a new stadium would come with some crazy keg prohibition? What a trade-off!

Who'd-a-thunk a new stadium would come with some crazy keg prohibition? What a trade-off!

I remember they did allow us to bring in a Matts beer ball, which we ended up emptying and tossed it from the upper deck (not into the lower bowl, onto the ramps) no one was injured, but the next year, they did stop us from bringing it in. Nothing like a post game warm Matts after the game.

I remember they did allow us to bring in a Matts beer ball, which we ended up emptying and tossed it from the upper deck (not into the lower bowl, onto the ramps) no one was injured, but the next year, they did stop us from bringing it in. Nothing like a post game warm Matts after the game.

There's still a Beerball you can throw from the upper deck ...

I was wondering after so many comments about why we love the Bills, someone said the tailgating. I used to live in Buffalo during the Knox years and went to several games when endzone seats could be had for $8.

I don't remember tailgating in those days and no it became extremely popular when the Bills were going to Superbowls. Did one guy start it and it kept rolling. That brings up another question for people who have tailgated elsewhere. Who does it best. I've done it at Gillette, but I think its only popular since it is so hard to leave the stadium on RT 1 after the games.

I thought there was tailgating during the Knox years, Acording to Fred Smerlas in his book "by the nose", the Bills used to party with the fans while waiting for traffic to clear after home games in the early 80's.

I remember being the first car in the parking lot in 1985. It was 7 AM. We had a football, case of beer and a quart of SC.

People started coming in at about 9. We shared what we had and were fed, plus had a great game of touch football until the lot became too full.

There wasn't enough room for that kind of thing at the rockpile, so I'm sure that it started something like that the first game there.

Here's my totally made-up answer. Bills fans who tried to bring their kegs into the new Rich Stadium were turned away at the gate and were forced to drink them in the parking lot.

Back in the 70's , I remember bringing a beverage cooler into the stadium. It was crazy what you were able to do in the stadium in those days.

$50 at Gillette last time I went. What is parking cost at the Ralph now?

it depends, ive seen lawn parking right next to the stadium for like 15-20 or i think its like 40 for main lots. i usually go to ecc for 30 i think. the restroom lines are better and its only a short walk

Went to my first game in 1979 and my group was tailgating in the lot across from the stadium. We had hot dogs, burgers, beer, and pop for those like me that were too young to drink at the time. Tossed a football around. We weren't the only ones either, I think it has grown into an "event" over the years, but I think it started as away to get lunch and a few drinks before a 1 PM start time after getting to the stadium.

I know we tailgated as early as 75...don't remember the first couple of years. And as mentioned, tailgate was strictly hot dogs, hamburgers and beer.

Late 80 's is when I think it started to become more of an event with planning, salads etc.

I know we tailgated as early as 75...don't remember the first couple of years.

Wow, you must have been drinking pretty hard those first couple of years.