Topic of the day for Friday 6/24--The Rockpile

Back then "security" consisted of an old snow fence that was tipping over in places. You could step over it, but only dared if you finished that keg mostly by yourself. Think Mike Curtis of the Colts. Don't mess with these guys, Goodell has not even been imagined at that point!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back then "security" consisted of an old snow fence that was tipping over in places. You could step over it, but only dared if you finished that keg mostly by yourself. Think Mike Curtis of the Colts. Don't mess with these guys, Goodell has not even been imagined at that point!

: )

Calvin Murphy twirling the baton during halftime like it was going out of style.

Jetpack pilot.

GO BILLS!!!

Ha! Calvin, I remember seeing him at halftime. Thanks for the memory K-9.

Back in the 60's, you were allowed to bring in your own 6 packs. One game, my friend, Joe M, brought in a keg of beer & plopped it on to a seat between him & his friend. Almost immediately, a fan protested that " you can't put that keg on a seat ". Whereupon, Joe M reached into his pocket & produced a paid ticket for the keg. Oh Joe, you were a character. God rest your soul.

I remember you telling this story before. Its my best Rockpile story ever.

My favorite Rockpile memory? I'm going with the assumption that one was at the Rockpile. So,.....

September 1967, right after my senior year in high school. Jets (with Joe Namath) at the Bills. During the game Namath did one of his j

jump-passes, and I was

astounded at the height he got, even with those legendary bad knees. I swear his feet were 4 ft off the ground!

Bills won the game, everyone was feeling great as we were filing out of the stadium. Someone had a transistor radio and

"Brown-eyed Girl" was playing, sung by Van Morrison. Oddly enough, I didn't know it at the time, but the next time I saw a game

at the Bills, was 1987.

My best AFL moment? Easy, the 2 championships won by the Bills. The league had a great rapport with its fans. Most of the

stadiums were small, like the Rockpile, and fans from the seats could talk to the players during the game. This helped develop

in a big way a strong bond with the players, literally like they are part of your family. That legacy still strongly exists with we

Bills fans! This has been a great topic.

Watching all the crazies fight for the ball after extra points and field goals (prior to nets being put up).

Being at the bottom of that pile because I was 10 and nearby.

Someone had a transistor radio and

"Brown-eyed Girl" was playing, sung by Van Morrison.

Wow, forgot about the transistor radios. I remember playing the Bengals with Greg Cook at QB and it was snowing so hard you couldn't see a thing on the field. People with radios were our only way to find out what was happening in front of us. Edited by Augie

Being at the bottom of that pile because I was 10 and nearby.

Wow, forgot about the transistor radios. I remember playing the Bengals with Greg Cook at QB and it was snowing so hard you couldn't see a thing on the field. People with radios were our only way to find out what was happening in front of us.

Augie, yeh, my brother for years would attend games with his transistor to his ear so he could get Van Miller's play by play. "Do you bill-lieve it?"

Augie, yeh, my brother for years would attend games with his transistor to his ear so he could get Van Miller's play by play. "Do you bill-lieve it?"

That was the ONLY way to watch a live game. They'd also report quickly on injury status and peripheral going's on.

I was at the Bengal game. I believe we lost it on a last second Horst Mulman(sp?) FG.

another thing that has always stayed with me was how loud 45, 000 could sound there. i am quite sure it had to do with the roofs covering most of stands. it certainly wasnt built like the seahawks stadium. but the acoustics were similar due to the roof and the stands going up, rather than out and up gradually like most stadiums today..

Couple of things I remember

1) Dad never letting my brother and I go to the endzone to catch a ball. I remember crying my eyes out i wanted to go so badly, but no dice.

2) Parking is free, be $5 though to make sure your tires still here when you get back

3) watching a kid gets his ticket snatched from his hand about 10 feet from the turnstile. To this day i carry my ticket in front pocket with hand on it till I am at ticket taker.

4) Not quite Rockpile, but late 70's we were taking beerballs into the Ralph with a ticket. Was permissible as it was not glass or a can, it was plastic.

In the upper stands, along the Dodge Street side, there was a guy named Old Sam. He was very drunk, and tried sliding down the handrail. I still remember how loud the thud was when his head struck the ground.

My favorite beer vendor was the one who, on a freezing cold day, would yell "Get your ice cold hot warm Genesee Beer here!".

This has been a great trip down memory lane for us "experienced" Buffalo fans.

Sure has! Does anybody know if there's been a book published about the old Rockpile days? I think a compilation book of stories from players, fans, coaches,

the press corps......everyone who worked or was at the Rockpile would be a pretty entertaining book.

Never went to a Bills game at the Rockpile, but it was the first concert I ever attended while I was in high school. A bunch of guys drove up from Olean to see the band Chicago. Had a few beers as somebody must have been 18. I remember all the kids in the neighborhood were yelling "park here" "park here" and I was glad to get out of the big city that night.

That was the ONLY way to watch a live game. They'd also report quickly on injury status and peripheral going's on.

I was at the Bengal game. I believe we lost it on a last second Horst Mulman(sp?) FG.

You're right. Those radios added a whole new dimension to viewing the game,

Sure has! Does anybody know if there's been a book published about the old Rockpile days? I think a compilation book of stories from players, fans, coaches,

the press corps......everyone who worked or was at the Rockpile would be a pretty entertaining book.

you got that right!

The family had season tickets from the very first season. I don't really remember "in game" specifics ... just little snippets,

like the God awful Broncos socks,

a game where it snowed so hard we couldn't see the field so the fans had a snowball fight in the stands (and my father crawling over a dozen or so rows of seats to kick somebody's ass that hit me in the side of the head with an ice laden snowball),

hating Billy Joe (until he became a Bill),

hating Ernie Ladd (because it was unfair that somebody so damn big was allowed to play against mere mortals),

buying a couple of bags of fresh roasted peanuts from the street carts on the way to the stadium and packing them in our inside pockets to help keep warm

Every local bar renting school buses to ferry their patrons to and from the game ... I remember one game riding home with a piece of goal post lying in the center aisle

Being amazed that somebody would actually buy a seat that was directly behind a pillar

ahhhhhhhhhh the good old days

The family had season tickets from the very first season. I don't really remember "in game" specifics ... just little snippets,

like the God awful Broncos socks,

a game where it snowed so hard we couldn't see the field so the fans had a snowball fight in the stands (and my father crawling over a dozen or so rows of seats to kick somebody's ass that hit me in the side of the head with an ice laden snowball),

hating Billy Joe (until he became a Bill),

hating Ernie Ladd (because it was unfair that somebody so damn big was allowed to play against mere mortals),

buying a couple of bags of fresh roasted peanuts from the street carts on the way to the stadium and packing them in our inside pockets to help keep warm

Every local bar renting school buses to ferry their patrons to and from the game ... I remember one game riding home with a piece of goal post lying in the center aisle

Being amazed that somebody would actually buy a seat that was directly behind a pillar

ahhhhhhhhhh the good old days

:thumbsup: