Topic of the day for Friday 6/24--The Rockpile

There is a book called "Rockin' the Rockpile" by Jeffrey Miller. I have a copy and it's very good.

My memories are of the neighborhood around the stadium and being scared to death. Also remember cars that were parked in front yards were up on blocks with no wheels after the game. The scoreboard end zone, if I remember correctly, had no bleachers or seats - just concrete "steps". It was awesome walking through that wasteland of a neighborhood and shell of a stadium, only to walk through the ramp and see that bright green field and red buffalo logo. This was before we owned a color TV, so seeing those colors and the bright blue uniforms was stunning. The echoes inside the stadium hallways added to the excitement before the game and the smells of hot dogs and peanuts were mouth-watering. Hoping you wouldn't have to sit behind a post in the area under the roof. Lots of good memories of that place. Years later saw Jimmy Buffet play there after a Bisons game. Early 1980s and a gorgeous hot day!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only game I saw there was OJ's rookie year against the Bengals in a total blizzard. I was very little but I don't think I've ever seen a game since played in more snow. Harry Jacobs had the game-winning TD when he stripped the ball from Greg Cook and ran into the end zone, but we couldn't tell what was happening, just saw Bills players jumping up and down.

There is a book called "Rockin' the Rockpile" by Jeffrey Miller. I have a copy and it's very good.

My memories are of the neighborhood around the stadium and being scared to death. Also remember cars that were parked in front yards were up on blocks with no wheels after the game. The scoreboard end zone, if I remember correctly, had no bleachers or seats - just concrete "steps". It was awesome walking through that wasteland of a neighborhood and shell of a stadium, only to walk through the ramp and see that bright green field and red buffalo logo. This was before we owned a color TV, so seeing those colors and the bright blue uniforms was stunning. The echoes inside the stadium hallways added to the excitement before the game and the smells of hot dogs and peanuts were mouth-watering. Hoping you wouldn't have to sit behind a post in the area under the roof. Lots of good memories of that place. Years later saw Jimmy Buffet play there after a Bisons game. Early 1980s and a gorgeous hot day!

Great post! My neighborhood friend and I painted our football helmets white and used black electrical tape to make the standing buffalo's for decals because that's what 'color' they were on TV! His Dad came home one day with real Bills logo helmet stickers (red) for us and I recall thinking 'Red?? They're not red..' :lol:

Great post! My neighborhood friend and I painted our football helmets white and used black electrical tape to make the standing buffalo's for decals because that's what 'color' they were on TV! His Dad came home one day with real Bills logo helmet stickers (red) for us and I recall thinking 'Red?? They're not red..' :lol:

So many great revelations to be acquired at that age.

Saw my first game there when I was just a wee lad - vs the Jets - my Dad pointed out Joe Namath on the sideline and said something to the effect of take a good look and remember it, he's an all time great.

Last memories were Bisons games with the Earl of Bud roaming the stands "You Got One!"