Topic of the day for Tuesday 6/21--Replace kick offs

From Machine Gun Kelly (and NFR)

NFR floated a great idea of replacing the kick off with punts. The point of punt would be the 35 yard line. Really interesting as MTC net over every scenario. If people followed that conversation, it would make the game even more exciting. I'd rather keep it the old way, but I'd rather punt than just eliminate the kick off.

I will admit that I don't understand this one so I'm looking forward to the discussion.

eliminate kickoffs...eliminating wedge blocking pretty much eliminated the long runback and the kickers have pretty much eliminated runbacks in general, the kickoff is a laughable part of any nfl game.. hate to think what newcomers to the game think of it

eliminates 5 commercials and keeps the flow of the game... nothing worse than what happens after a TD in the NFL... its 10 minutes before the the next play from scrimmage . make that even 5 minutes and it would be a big improvement

From Machine Gun Kelly (and NFR)

I will admit that I don't understand this one so I'm looking forward to the discussion.

It's pretty clear you don't understand since the topic title says something completely different than the quoted material!

I always wondered why they moved the ball back up to the 35 instead of something else. Why didn't they just keep the ball at the 30, but eliminate the run up by everyone but the kicker? They could have even written the rule as allowing only on player to be able to run up. On normal KOs that player would be the kicker, on onsides KOs it could be one of the coverage players.

At this point, the time after a TD is becoming the worst part of the game. Review time (which is the absolute worst part of a game), XP (second worst unless teams are going for 2) and KO (third worst). It's getting brutal.

Are you saying eliminate kickoff and replace with punts or just eliminate punts?

sorry, it was early...

The title has been corrected. Do you replace kick offs with a punted ball?

It's pretty clear you don't understand since the topic title says something completely different than the quoted material!

thanks for your support, I can always count on you.

Eliminating kickoffs would potentially eliminate a block of advertising time and potentially lost revenue, the NFL doesn't like to lose revenue. At the same time it's being sold as player safety so they need to get it right. Interesting dynamic at play IMO

Sorry, I changed the title for a second time. Hopefully I have it mostly right this time but I'll wait for eball to chime in. He's the expert after all.

I think kickoffs at this point are basically dead. Only 41% of kickoffs were returned last year, the lowest ever. The average return last year was 23.5 yards and only 20% went for more than 30 yards. I think you'll see even less teams risk running it out. I know some think that teams will try to squib kick it or something but I think the chances of messing that up will force teams to just kicking it deep.

With that being said, I think going to some sort of a punt setup would be a nice replacement.

I think kickoffs at this point are basically dead. Only 41% of kickoffs were returned last year, the lowest ever. The average return last year was 23.5 yards and only 20% went for more than 30 yards. I think you'll see even less teams risk running it out. I know some think that teams will try to squib kick it or something but I think the chances of messing that up will force teams to just kicking it deep.

With that being said, I think going to some sort of a punt setup would be a nice replacement.

You know what's funny Wayne? When there's no Bills' home game, I watch the game mix channel on DTV--my dad has a 66" screen and you can easily watch 8 games at once without missing anything--and I always count the opening kickoffs to see how many are returned. It's crazy, but without fail, at least 3 of the 8 opening kickoffs in the 1:00 games are returned, and often it's 4 or 5.

That probably doesn't surprise you, but it was shocking to me; I had this preconceived notion that pretty much every kick was a touchback.

But, why would the league go for that? If their plan was to cut down on the number of high speed collisions they've done that. Why would they go backwards (keeping in mind that this is a "player safety" issue)?

I'm fine with kickoffs, but I will say that if the kickoff has to go, I like Florio's suggestion:

Give the scoring team the ball on their own 30-yard line, and it's 4th down, 15 yards to go.

Period.

I really like this idea. Who's dynamic enough to try this? Seattle/Carolina/Pittsburgh/Pats*/Bills?

I really like this idea. Who's dynamic enough to try this? Seattle/Carolina/Pittsburgh/Pats*/Bills?

I like it because it basically sets up well for every possibility:

You want to kick off? Punt the ball; odds are good that you can pin your opponent inside the 20 for what's now considered a fairly normal drive start.

You want to onside kick? Great, you have one down to gain 15 yards.

Plus it doesn't remove the element of surprise, as teams can always choose to fake punt and go for a first-down to keep the ball, or they can line up like they're going for it and have the QB punt the ball instead.

But, why would the league go for that? If their plan was to cut down on the number of high speed collisions they've done that. Why would they go backwards (keeping in mind that this is a "player safety" issue)?

As far as punts go?

Injury rates are lower on punts than they are on kickoffs, pass plays and run plays. Of course thats reported injuries but usually the reported ones are the serious ones. In 2011 when they did the change to kickoffs, kickoffs injury rates were nearly double of punts. And they were much higher than pass plays and run plays.

You know what's funny Wayne? When there's no Bills' home game, I watch the game mix channel on DTV--my dad has a 66" screen and you can easily watch 8 games at once without missing anything--and I always count the opening kickoffs to see how many are returned. It's crazy, but without fail, at least 3 of the 8 opening kickoffs in the 1:00 games are returned, and often it's 4 or 5.

That probably doesn't surprise you, but it was shocking to me; I had this preconceived notion that pretty much every kick was a touchback.

Yea, compare that to 2010 before the rule change and the return rate was something like 80%.

As far as punts go?

Injury rates are lower on punts than they are on kickoffs, pass plays and run plays. Of course thats reported injuries but usually the reported ones are the serious ones. In 2011 when they did the change to kickoffs, kickoffs injury rates were nearly double of punts. And they were much higher than pass plays and run plays.

Yea, compare that to 2010 before the rule change and the return rate was something like 80%.

More punts, especially from a "kickoff like" position (vs a normal punt on 4th down, think safety) will lead to a proportional increase in those injuries. The league doesn't want returns, period.

More punts, especially from a "kickoff like" position (vs a normal punt on 4th down, think safety) will lead to a proportional increase in those injuries. The league doesn't want returns, period.

I think if you kept it like the idea Bandit is talking about, you wouldn't see a massive increase at all. Team gets ball and it's 4th and 15, for kickoffs. They can still go for an "onsides" kick by going for it, or punt it away. Players still line up like a normal punt.