Topic of the day for Thursday 6/16--who is your dream coach?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a fun topic. You said any coach of any sport, so for you guys who are in a leadership position, the best management training book is "Going from Good to Great". What Wooden did in his day was so impressive.

When I think best coach ever, I think John Wooden.

I considered Wooden (when upstream I picked Lombardi, Walsh, Hoodie) and other college coaches.

But to me, no college coach can reach these NFL players. These are not impressionable young minds to mold. These are millionaires and grown-ups.

Scottish soccer coach who turned Manchester United from serial underachievers without a Championship in 26 years to a team that dominated English soccer for 20 years through the 90s and 00s and won two European Champions Leagues in that timeframe too. He, interestingly enough, is a huge Vince Lombardi advocate who openly admits to reading into and borrowing a great deal from Lombardi's leadership style.

And I keep telling you..... you adore the wrong Harbaugh. Jim is very good. John is better.

I agree with this. IF Tyrod and the offense takes another step this year and yet we fail and Rex is fired then we must give Roman the job.

NO you can't make me :nana:

Why do you think he is better?

It was more than one good season, but he is the Jose Mourinho (another soccer reference) of the NFL. People who can only coach with one setting "full intensity" typically burn out at each stop relatively quickly. It lost him the Superbowl as well. He was so intense and uptight all week it was blindingly obvious to me that his team would come out tight. By the time they loosened up and played their game it was too late.

I blame it on Kaps int

Dude seriously. He's like the Talleywhacker of coaches. He had one good season and alienated about a million people while the whole thing burned down.

:lol::lol::lol: just when you were starting to make sense on this board you come out with this.

Try 3 GREAT yrs with one bad because of bad ownership. We have seen what the 9ers have done before and after Jim and that is nothing. Also transforming Stanford into a powerhouse was a monumental feat. And now Michigan will be the team to beat as his first yr showed a dramatic turnaround and this yr they will be contenders.

. . . Honorable mention to Billick and Chuckie. Who won superbowls without quarterbacks.

And whose acts seem to wear off quickly with the players. But if we're in "win now" mode . . . .

not a Billick fan that guy is an ego maniac, at least Rex is just delusional.

Dan Gable

I considered Wooden (when upstream I picked Lombardi, Walsh, Hoodie) and other college coaches.

But to me, no college coach can reach these NFL players. These are not impressionable young minds to mold. These are millionaires and grown-ups.

No, Wooden was not for NFL players, but that wasn't the question as I understood it. I loved the way he operated. He said he wasn't a coach, he was a teacher. There's no right or wrong answer here. Dan Gable was an interesting thought, too.

When Bill Walton said he was going to grow a beard despite the policy against facial hair, Wooden told his great player that he respected his opinion and right to make that decision.....and he was going to miss him. Loved that!

I was going to go with Kay, it was between Stephenson, Johnson, Rauch or Bullough.

Rauch, who had one of the aal-time great RBs and used him as a receiver?

Nick Saban. The man would win.

I second the choice of Saban. The best years of the Bills' 1st 2 decades came with Lou Saban as the coach. I'd like to see his cousin Nick work his Saban magic.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

John Wooden is one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport. We should remember, though, that it took him something like 16 years before he won his first NCAA championship. Then he made it a habit of winning championships. It can take a while before a coach hits his peak and gets his program where he really wants it.

Vince Lombardi may be the best NFL coach of all time. He deserves to have his name on the Lombardi trophy.

But I have to go with John Madden. Vince was more about good leadership and execution than he was about X's and O's. I suspect Madden has a better grasp of the complexities of the modern game than Lombardi would have if still alive.

And Madden was no slouch as a coach: 763 win percentage over a 10 year HC career - higher than Lombardi or Belichick. Only Guy Chamberlain from the 1920s won a higher percentage of games as a NFL head coach.

John Wooden is one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport. We should remember, though, that it took him something like 16 years before he won his first NCAA championship. Then he made it a habit of winning championships. It can take a while before a coach hits his peak and gets his program where he really wants it.

Vince Lombardi may be the best NFL coach of all time. He deserves to have his name on the Lombardi trophy.

But I have to go with John Madden. Vince was more about good leadership and execution than he was about X's and O's. I suspect Madden has a better grasp of the complexities of the modern game than Lombardi would have if still alive.

And Madden was no slouch as a coach: 763 win percentage over a 10 year HC career - higher than Lombardi or Belichick. Only Guy Chamberlain from the 1920s won a higher percentage of games as a NFL head coach.

Fair points.

But I think this thread is about your Dream Coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2016. Its not about who you think is the best coach of all time. Because on TBD, I think I can assume that your "Dream" is for the Bills to win the SuperBowl in 2016.

So do you really think that, of all coaches ever, in all sports, that Madden (even in his prime) is the most likely to make your dream come true? (My screenname notwithstanding)

(as I said upstream, Lombardi, Walsh, Hoodie).

Edited by maddenboy