Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, this team needs Kane and Eichel back...

Don't get frustrated with the mounting injuries and the lack of scoring. In general this team is playing reasonably well. What I'm hoping for is for this team to play in the range of .500 at the half way point.

As it stands this is still not a complete team. The defense still needs to add talent to make it a more complete unit. And it is apparent that we need the scorers to finish. However, taking a wider perspective I still view that this team is ascending. To its credit this team does play hard and with structure. The coach is still working on the line combinations so it is still a work in progress. I put myself in the cautiously optimistic category.

4-2-2 on the road, 1-3-1 at home.

So bizarre, team plays lifeless at home.

But at least they tried to score in the OT, which was refreshing! Said they got unlucky a lot last year on shots not going in...when is it the dreaded"can't finish" as opposed to unlucky?

But at least they tried to score in the OT, which was refreshing! Said they got unlucky a lot last year on shots not going in...when is it the dreaded"can't finish" as opposed to unlucky?

This group can't finish. They need twice as many shots as a regular NHL club.

Hard to be very critical with them missing Eichel, O'Reilly, and Ennis.

Hard to be very critical with them missing Eichel, O'Reilly, and Ennis.

I realize that except for the overtime period where we dominated this game (scintillating hockey) this was a boring game to watch. As you stated the Sabres' best scoring threats were out of the lineup. What was evident in this game as it has been in other games is that the players are playing hard and they are playing responsibly. The team is building a structure that although can be frustrating to watch will ultimately allow this team to stay in the playoff contention.

The best takeaway of this game for me is seeing that Kane was moving well and was not playing with any noticeable hesitancy. Another positive thing about this game is that Lehner is playing consistently well. Injuries are part of the game in all sports. When we get some of our primary players back this is going to be a solid team.

Although sometimes it can be excruciating and exasperating watching grinding hockey I'm more than satisfied where this team is at and the direction it is moving in.

I realize that except for the overtime period where we dominated this game (scintillating hockey) this was a boring game to watch. As you stated the Sabres' best scoring threats were out of the lineup. What was evident in this game as it has been in other games is that the players are playing hard and they are playing responsibly. The team is building a structure that although can be frustrating to watch will ultimately allow this team to stay in the playoff contention.

The best takeaway of this game for me is seeing that Kane was moving well and was not playing with any noticeable hesitancy. Another positive thing about this game is that Lehner is playing consistently well. Injuries are part of the game in all sports. When we get some of our primary players back this is going to be a solid team.

Although sometimes it can be excruciating and exasperating watching grinding hockey I'm more than satisfied where this team is at and the direction it is moving in.

I think that game was about as much as you can ask for from the current lineup. Like I said earlier, that was an AHL roster on the ice last night. Dressing so many guys who should probably never sniff an NHL roster (Schneider, Grant, and Carrier) and guys who aren't ready for that level yet (Baptiste, Nelson), any team should be thrilled when they only allow a single goal. This game is the perfect example of something you said earlier, the team treading water until they can get their top guys back. I can live with a bunch of fake losses right now, it means so much more for the future.

And I'm sure some will question my placement of Carrier in the two groupings above. I haven't seen enough yet, but I'm not really sure which of the two categories he falls in.

I think that game was about as much as you can ask for from the current lineup. Like I said earlier, that was an AHL roster on the ice last night. Dressing so many guys who should probably never sniff an NHL roster (Schneider, Grant, and Carrier) and guys who aren't ready for that level yet (Baptiste, Nelson), any team should be thrilled when they only allow a single goal. This game is the perfect example of something you said earlier, the team treading water until they can get their top guys back. I can live with a bunch of fake losses right now, it means so much more for the future.

And I'm sure some will question my placement of Carrier in the two groupings above. I haven't seen enough yet, but I'm not really sure which of the two categories he falls in.

I was going to question Carrier LOL...Wish he spelled his name like this..Carriere!!!

Funny you say AHL team...when it was top pair D that gave up that silly goal!

I was going to question Carrier LOL...Wish he spelled his name like this..Carriere!!!

Funny you say AHL team...when it was top pair D that gave up that silly goal!

Honestly, I missed the goal. But an entire game goes well beyond just a single play. I now I'm over-simplifying it, but I have two takeaways from the whole thing, one's good and one's bad. With this diminished AHL roster, they only gave up a single goal. At the same time, that same roster only put up a single goal. As guys get healthy and return to the roster, the team should get better on both sides of the puck and they're going to start putting more pucks in the net. If that defensive structure is there already, this team is going to start winning games.