Pats once again makes NFL change rules.

PO16FFS

it must be the boring part of the off season

but i never knew the pats didnt use numbered jerseys during otas and minicamp. I dont see this being a game changer, but i can see this being needed to monitor certain players

reverse spying move.

Proves they are spying still.

No, just a CBA issue. The CBA places limits on player participation in OTAs and minicamp, and anonymous jerseys make that much harder to enforce.

I read that.

its obvious to me, the method of Hanes T shirts being worn is some deep psychological bonding freakshow.

But more than that. Its a chance for Bill to challenge to NFL.

and cheat.

No, just a CBA issue. The CBA places limits on player participation in OTAs and minicamp, and anonymous jerseys make that much harder to enforce.

Don't Bills players at times switch up their practice jersey numbers? I seem to recall several players wearing 22 when Fred was cut.

Edited by reddogblitz

It says they have been doing it for a few years--even wrote about it 2 years ago. What has changed?

Also, how does putting numbers on jerseys keep any team in compliance with NFLPA rules?

From NFLPA website:

OTA's | 6 hours
  • 4 Weeks Total
  • 3 Weeks For 10 Total OTA’s
  • A Maximum Of 3 OTA’s Each Week For The First 2 Weeks
  • During Weeks 1 & 2 A 4th Non OTA Workout Is Allowed But Phase Two Rules Apply
  • A Maximum Of 4 OTA’s For The 3rd Or 4th Week
  • One Week For Mini Camp
  • No Pads Except Protective Knee And Elbow Pads, Helmets Are Permitted
  • No Live Contract
  • 7 On 7, 9 On 7 And 11 On 11 Drills Will Be Permitted Provided No Live Contact Takes Place
Minicamp | 10 hours a day
  • Physicals On Monday But No Practice
  • Practices Tuesday-Thursday, With A Day Off On Friday
  • Allowed Two Practices Totaling 3 ½ Hours On The Field Per Day
  • Second Practice Limited To Walk Through Activities Only
Edited by Mr. WEO

It says they have been doing it for a few years--even wrote about it 2 years ago. What has changed?

Also, how does putting numbers on jerseys keep any team in compliance with NFLPA rules?

Following the stories to the lead usually helps when you're not defending the Pats*

According to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, it was instituted to “ensure clubs are in compliance with workplace rules” (e.g. injured players shouldn’t be participating) as it “will permit the league office and NFLPA to monitor player participation during on-field sessions.”

Following the stories to the lead usually helps when you're not defending the Pats*

Injured players are in the whirlpool. Any NFL or NFLPA observer would see that injured guys aren't out there regardless of the shirts they are wearing.

Anyway, you didn't answer the question I asked--why now? You punted with "pats defender".

Injured players are in the whirlpool. Any NFL or NFLPA observer would see that injured guys aren't out there regardless of the shirts they are wearing.

Anyway, you didn't answer the question I asked--why now? You punted with "pats defender".

My guess is that somebody complained to the NFLPA and they went to the league. That's why "now"

And as if anyone bought the convoluted explanations offered by McDaniel & Patricia on why numberless practice jerseys help communication.

My guess is that somebody complained to the NFLPA and they went to the league. That's why "now"

And as if anyone bought the convoluted explanations offered by McDaniel & Patricia on why numberless practice jerseys help communication.

The beautiful part is they all had the same story. That's operational excellence

Maybe if you read the article and the linked article, you wouldn't find the explanations so unusual.

First, they were published two years ago in a Reiss article (so much for someone suddenly noticing and alerting the NFLPA).

Second, a guy at Steeler.com (also linked) wrote about this ("No Numbers are Nothing New") after the Reiss article (again, 2 years ago) to say that Chuck Knoll did it for many years. In fact, here's what that writer said about the pats coaching staff's "convoluted explanations":

"Asked about number-less jerseys once, Noll’s explanation was a version of the one McDaniels offered, with more of an emphasis on the benefits to be derived from assistant coaches learning their players through their on-field movements without using jersey numbers as a crutch while watching film each day."

Maybe if you read the article and the linked article, you wouldn't find the explanations so unusual.

First, they were published two years ago in a Reiss article (so much for someone suddenly noticing and alerting the NFLPA).

Second, a guy at Steeler.com (also linked) wrote about this ("No Numbers are Nothing New") after the Reiss article (again, 2 years ago) to say that Chuck Knoll did it for many years. In fact, here's what that writer said about the pats coaching staff's "convoluted explanations":

"Asked about number-less jerseys once, Noll’s explanation was a version of the one McDaniels offered, with more of an emphasis on the benefits to be derived from assistant coaches learning their players through their on-field movements without using jersey numbers as a crutch while watching film each day."

Who gives a **** what Chuck Noll did? He didn't coach under the current CBA.

It's a rule so that players can be identified on the field and it keeps them from being able to sneak players on the field who shouldn't be there.

Why wasn't something done earlier, who knows, maybe the NFL didn't receive a complaint about it before so instead of going after them because it became apparent in an article (maybe no one at the NFL offices read the publication it was in?) they let it slide until they received a complaint.

This won't be a big deal unless the Pats office makes it one by continuing to defy the rule or fight it. Otherwise they have been told not to do it and the issue is over.....

Of course as we speak, BB and Brady could accidently be destroying the unnumbered shirts and say its something they routinely do so it's no big deal after the league asks them for the shirts.......