fortune 500 companies in b-lo

boyst

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Era seems like it would be large too. That company could be an Under Armor type company if it was more aggressive.

According to Wikipedia in 2014 they secured rights as the exclusive headwear provider for Turkish airlines euroleague basketball. How can you get more aggressive than that???

Fortune 500 may or may not matter. I guess the real question is how much is a box at ralphies and which corporations are apt to spring for it.

I work for a company that was well under a billion in revenue at the time, but the execs loved sports- so they had a box at Verizon center and fedex field.

I'm going to say something unpopular... Whenever I come back to Buffalo, I can't help but notice how old & stagnant everything looks: old homes, old businesses, and a skyline that hardly changes.

I say this with absolutely love. I was born & raised there. And I enjoy uniquely Buffalo places like, for example, Parkside Candy on Main Street which is a decaying architectural gem with great chocolates and sponge candy. Very cool place, emblematic of Buffalo's faded glory.

Many American cities look far newer and seem more vibrant and dynamic than Buffalo. Additions to the skyline are always popping up in other major cities. New housing projects are being built all over the place. Standing in one spot, I recently counted 12 construction cranes in Seattle building 12 separate high rise projects at the same time. Bellevue, WA, (across the lake from Seattle) might have a more impressive skyline than Buffalo and Bellevue's skyscrapers have all been built in the past 20 years - most in the past 10. Microsoft, headquartered in nearby Redmond, is behind much of Bellevue's new growth.

Buffalo would benefit from a few Fortune 500 companies with the high paying jobs and the ancillary business that Fortune 500 companies bring.

I read an article once that attributed a lot of the amazing growth/renovation in the South Lake Union area of Seattle to a small group of high tech mega-millionaires from Microsoft, Amazon, etc.

Buffalo has Terry Pegula who, although he doesn't live in Buffalo, does like to invest in the city. The Canalside transformation has been impressive. To gain momentum, though, Buffalo needs more.

I think the Bills will stay in Buffalo as long as the Pegulas live, which is great. But for Buffalo to be a sustainable sports town for generations to come, it probably needs to be in the top 50 of the USA in wealth and population. The economic trends of the past 50 years need to be reversed.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'm going to say something unpopular... Whenever I come back to Buffalo, I can't help but notice how old & stagnant everything looks: old homes, old businesses, and a skyline that hardly changes.

I say this with absolutely love. I was born & raised there. And I enjoy uniquely Buffalo places like, for example, Parkside Candy on Main Street which is a decaying architectural gem with great chocolates and sponge candy. Very cool place, emblematic of Buffalo's faded glory.

Many American cities look far newer and seem more vibrant and dynamic than Buffalo. Additions to the skyline are always popping up in other major cities. New housing projects are being built all over the place. Standing in one spot, I recently counted 12 construction cranes in Seattle building 12 separate high rise projects at the same time. Bellevue, WA, (across the lake from Seattle) might have a more impressive skyline than Buffalo and Bellevue's skyscrapers have all been built in the past 20 years - most in the past 10. Microsoft, headquartered in nearby Redmond, is behind much of Bellevue's new growth.

Buffalo would benefit from a few Fortune 500 companies with the high paying jobs and the ancillary business that Fortune 500 companies bring.

I read an article once that attributed a lot of the amazing growth/renovation in the South Lake Union area of Seattle to a small group of high tech mega-millionaires from Microsoft, Amazon, etc.

Buffalo has Terry Pegula who, although he doesn't live in Buffalo, does like to invest in the city. The Canalside transformation has been impressive. To gain momentum, though, Buffalo needs more.

They're definitely trying. The delaware north building on chippewa seems pretty sharp.

They run into issues with ripping down old buildings though, if its not filled with asbestos then its a "historical landmark", and can't be demolished.

and as far as luxury suites go, Ingram and their vendors used to had 4 suites at the Ralph a while back. I think they still have at least 2

My friend used to sell tickets. When he left a few years ago, they only were buying single game club seats (aka cheap).

I imagine they're hitting exec's hard with the rebuild and trying to sell these things.

Every business metric there is disagrees, all of which directly results from consumer behavior and sentiment. But I get it- Wegmans is the buffalo bills of the super market world. Whole foods is more like the packers or steelers.

Oh yeah, And homers tend to stick with what they know.

Such as what?

Every business metric there is disagrees, all of which directly results from consumer behavior and sentiment. But I get it- Wegmans is the buffalo bills of the super market world. Whole foods is more like the packers or steelers.

Oh yeah, And homers tend to stick with what they know.

Whole Foods took a massive hit coming out of the 2009 market decline. Since this time, its market share has stagnated. That's why you'll see much of their future growth in the form of those "mini" Whole Foods stores.

One thing Whole Foods will find difficult moving forward (as the rest of the country/chains continue to introduce organic/local) is that they don't "own" the organic movement anymore.

I suppose in Rochester we'll finally see them go head to head. Mini Whole Foods is moving down the block (allegedly) from Pittsford Wegmans. I'll take Pittsford Wegmans any day of the week.

Such as what?

It takes digging since weg is private but revenue, profit, # stores, market share, assets, equity, employees, growth rate...

But I get it. I'm sure many here think mighty taco is good Mexican food too and take it over chipotle.

Platos cave....

Whole Foods took a massive hit coming out of the 2009 market decline. Since this time, its market share has stagnated. That's why you'll see much of their future growth in the form of those "mini" Whole Foods stores.

One thing Whole Foods will find difficult moving forward (as the rest of the country/chains continue to introduce organic/local) is that they don't "own" the organic movement anymore.

I suppose in Rochester we'll finally see them go head to head. Mini Whole Foods is moving down the block (allegedly) from Pittsford Wegmans. I'll take Pittsford Wegmans any day of the week.

I agree with the last bit. I wouldn't go near wegmans in its home turf. WF should stick to sophisticated, educated and densely populated semi urban areas, that's their wheelhouse. Wegs Needs a 40 acre Costco sized building and parking lot lot to peddle all the packaged and pre prepped foods and wny suburbia is lovin it.

I guess it's not even fair to compare the two as wegs tends not to get to close (5-10 miles of major city centers) to the major cities where as whole foods doesn't venture too far out from them. Different demographic targets.

But to redirect back to the original topic, does wegmans have a luxury box at ralphies given its one of the shining becons of WNY success?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

It takes digging since weg is private but revenue, profit, # stores, market share, assets, equity, employees, growth rate...

But I get it. I'm sure many here think mighty taco is good Mexican food too and take it over chipotle.

Chipotle is more genuine, it comes with standard Montezuma's Revenge but I hear they have been branching out.

Chipotle is more genuine, it comes with standard Montezuma's Revenge but I hear they have been branching out.

Now that's authentic!

Seriously though- who actually buys boxes at the Ralph and what do they cost?? if you can grab a box for $50 grand /season any decently profitable multimillion dollar biz could swing it...

Fortune 500 is irrelevant, and the bonus is you have fewer major market sports to compete against in getting those box takers

They're definitely trying. The delaware north building on chippewa seems pretty sharp.

They run into issues with ripping down old buildings though, if its not filled with asbestos then its a "historical landmark", and can't be demolished.

My friend used to sell tickets. When he left a few years ago, they only were buying single game club seats (aka cheap).

I imagine they're hitting exec's hard with the rebuild and trying to sell these things.

I love Buffalo's old buildings. I'd love to see them renovated rather than demolished if possible.

I was bummed when the old Century Theater was torn down in the 1980s. And driving down Delaware is bittersweet. So many of the mansions gone; the ones remaining giving testimony to the glory that once was Buffalo. And then there's Buffalo Central Terminal - they've been talking about doing something good with that beautiful building for years but nothing much seems to happen.

I'd love to see a local billionaire step up with a plan to revitalize some of Buffalo's historic areas. This is another reason Buffalo needs Fortune 500 companies.

Platos cave....

I agree with the last bit. I wouldn't go near wegmans in its home turf. WF should stick to sophisticated, educated and densely populated semi urban areas, that's their wheelhouse. Wegs Needs a 40 acre Costco sized building and parking lot lot to peddle all the packaged and pre prepped foods and wny suburbia is lovin it.

I guess it's not even fair to compare the two as wegs tends not to get to close (5-10 miles of major city centers) to the major cities where as whole foods doesn't venture too far out from them. Different demographic targets.

But to redirect back to the original topic, does wegmans have a luxury box at ralphies given its one of the shining becons of WNY success?

Again, the only thing you're pounding to is size. WF is much bigger, so it will have larger revenues, stores, equity, market share, etc. But on any metric on which retailers are scored by professionals, such as same store sales, sales per sf, it's not even close. Everyone, and I mean everyone in grocery looks at Wegmans as the role model.

Never mind that the post you responded to talked about customer point of view, where Wegmans consistently ranks higher than WF.

And of course WF stores are located in big city centers, because there's a high concetration of rich people with low self esteem who need the reassurance of being seen with a WF shopping bag.

I love Buffalo's old buildings. I'd love to see them renovated rather than demolished if possible.

What is really at risk is the old churches. Congregations have shrunk and moved. One of my high school classmates bought one and left the bones intact but taking out the pews, etc from inside. He turned it into a concert and band hall. We had our reunion there.

Platos cave....

Great question. You'd hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me if they've stayed clear given Tops association w/ the Bills.

and as far as luxury suites go, Ingram and their vendors used to had 4 suites at the Ralph a while back. I think they still have at least 2

i know suites are what we're concerned about here but we don't ha e to limit it to 4. I'm sure there are thousands of tickets that are purchased by vendors in other areas of the stadium. They pretty much own the 200s at the Niagara Center or whatever the hell its called now.

When I worked there, handing out Bills and Sabres tickets every week was like walking around tossing free money at people. They begged for it every chance they could get and you never had enough to give away.

I think the Bills will stay in Buffalo as long as the Pegulas live, which is great. But for Buffalo to be a sustainable sports town for generations to come, it probably needs to be in the top 50 of the USA in wealth and population. The economic trends of the past 50 years need to be reversed.

I think the new buildings look like crap, I'll take our older and better architecture any day.

I think you make some good points, it's frustrating when the news reports on a company or developer that wants to build high rise apartments on the waterfront, but oh wait, that used to be Freezer Queen we can't tear it down. Certain things do need to stay, however if you want to grow and develop, you need to tear things down and put up new shiny things.

OK, I got curious. As of 7/15 NYC had the most Fortune 1,000 companies with 72. No shocker. Houston (surprisingly to me) came in second with 49. Atlanta and Chicago were tied with 22, and Dallas had 15. If the source is correct, the rest must be pretty well spread around. I knew there was a lot of money in Houston, but that was not expected.

Oil. See relatively small Tulsa. 5 fortune 500's, 10 fortune 1000's, all oil. Same with OKC.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH