Watkins calls for the ball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan's route set up that play.

Post snap-middle of the field closed (single high safety) means Taylor should throw to the deep route.

Ditto. :beer:

Appreciate it!!! Feel free to share!

Edited by TurnerE

Yes - but the depth and precision of Hogan's route caused the safety to cheat towards him, no?

No the safety was suppose to drop down as a robber. He didnt drop down because of the route. Did the route hold him? Yes, but it was intended, just look at the other safety post snap he immediately gets to the middle of the field. This is an easy read for TT if middle of the field closed (MOFC-single high safety) take the deep shot, if MOFO-middle of the field open(two high safeties) get it to Hogan on the crossing route as it is one on one coverage.

No the safety was suppose to drop down as a robber. He didnt drop down because of the route. Did the route hold him? Yes, but it was intended, just look at the other safety post snap he immediately gets to the middle of the field. This is an easy read for TT if middle of the field closed (MOFC-single high safety) take the deep shot, if MOFO-middle of the field open(two high safeties) get it to Hogan on the crossing route as it is one on one coverage.

Right - my point is that they'll need to replace Hogan with someone who runs precise routes with the right depths, it seems important to what they're trying to do with Sammy.

Right - my point is that they'll need to replace Hogan with someone who runs precise routes with the right depths, it seems important to what they're trying to do with Sammy.

Hogan is a very good route runner and I like him but I don't think he made that much of an impact on this play. But there is no doubt that he will need to be replaced by a guy that can get open whether based on route running or physical talent.

it really is on like a MOFO

And now the Pats have him. So doomed !!!

Irreplaceable, you must not know bout Chris, you must not know bout Chris

Haha. Still, Hogan is getting drafted in fantasy football this year.

And Watkins is good at football. The only thing that can stop him is injuries and a 1960s offense.

The play is over before hogan even thinks about his break. This was simply Sammy beating his guy quickly and Tyrod keeping the deep safety honest by looking left. I bet the Dolphins don't run cover 1 again that game.

As some one pointed out the other safety was dropping in playing a robber coverage zone over the middle.

TT made this play by holding the safety with his eyes and by stepping around the collapsing pocket to buy time.

If Harvin was on the opposite side he'd have been open too since the single high safety just backed up down the middle.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The play is over before hogan even thinks about his break. This was simply Sammy beating his guy quickly and Tyrod keeping the deep safety honest by looking left. I bet the Dolphins don't run cover 1 again that game.

As some one pointed out the other safety was dropping in playing a robber coverage zone over the middle.

TT made this play by holding the safety with his eyes and by stepping around the collapsing pocket to buy time.

If Harvin was on the opposite side he'd have been open too since the single high safety just backed up down the middle.

Bingo!

Haha. Still, Hogan is getting drafted in fantasy football this year.

And Watkins is good at football. The only thing that can stop him is injuries and a 1960s offense.

What's incredible in that video is he looks like he runs just fast enough to keep separation with the corner saving the extra burst at the end to catch up to the ball also leaving margin downfield for Tyrod to drop it in. Basically just run fast enough to be open, no need to be faster.

He's really a ridiculous WR. Funny how some of the scouting stuff questioned him as a mere bubble screen guy.

What's incredible in that video is he looks like he runs just fast enough to keep separation with the corner saving the extra burst at the end to catch up to the ball also leaving margin downfield for Tyrod to drop it in. Basically just run fast enough to be open, no need to be faster.

He's really a ridiculous WR. Funny how some of the scouting stuff questioned him as a mere bubble screen guy.

A bubble screen guy? Hmm Watkins was the top play maker coming out of that draft I don't remember much debate about that.

By "scouting stuff", I assume you mean the drafniks of the world. Actual scouts and other personnel evaluators knew full well that Watkins had great command of the entire route tree. People who watched a lot of Watkins at Clemson knew that DCs played a pick your poison defense against him. In his freshman year he routinely burned tight coverage and DCs adjusted by laying well off and conceded underneath stuff, including screens. Can't say I blamed the DCs. Better to force Watkins to "earn" it after the catch vs. routinely giving up the long, quick strike they were hopeless to defend with any regularity.

GO BILLS!!!

A bubble screen guy? Hmm Watkins was the top play maker coming out of that draft I don't remember much debate about that.

There was a debate on the fringes that due to clemsons offense his ability to adapt to pro style was questioned by some.

I didn't buy it, but didn't discount it either. In the end it was irrelevant