Watkins calls for the ball

There was a debate on the fringes that due to clemsons offense his ability to adapt to pro style was questioned by some.

I didn't buy it, but didn't discount it either. In the end it was irrelevant

You are 100% right. One of the only knocks on him coming out of college is he caught a lot of short passes and screens. Personally, we should throw him more screens. You need to get the ball in your best playmaker more than 61 times.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are 100% right. One of the only knocks on him coming out of college is he caught a lot of short passes and screens. Personally, we should throw him more screens. You need to get the ball in your best playmaker more than 61 times.

Right on- i want to see him to get three times that number of touches. This is the guy that should be getting the ball til he pukes

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Please cue up some footage of Watkins' All-American freshman year.

The frequent use of screens to Watkins is a direct result of DCs purposely giving him a big cushion after routinely getting beat over the top when trying to play tight coverage on him. Sweeney was smart to take advantage.

The scouting community was fully aware that Watkins had a great command of the entire route tree. Nobody in the scouting community knocked him for catching too many screens. They understood why that was.

GO BILLS!!!

Please cue up some footage of Watkins' All-American freshman year.

The frequent use of screens to Watkins is a direct result of DCs purposely giving him a big cushion after routinely getting beat over the top when trying to play tight coverage on him. Sweeney was smart to take advantage.

The scouting community was fully aware that Watkins had a great command of the entire route tree. Nobody in the scouting community knocked him for catching too many screens. They understood why that was.

GO BILLS!!!

...and because Tajh Boyd was a horrendous downfield passer.

...and because Tajh Boyd was a horrendous downfield passer.

Perhaps, but in Watkins' freshman year, Boyd feasted on that tight coverage and found Watkins often enough to get DCs to rethink their coverage strategies.

GO BILLS!!!

Perhaps, but in Watkins' freshman year, Boyd feasted on that tight coverage and found Watkins often enough to get DCs to rethink their coverage strategies.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh absolutely...it was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.

By "scouting stuff", I assume you mean the drafniks of the world. Actual scouts and other personnel evaluators knew full well that Watkins had great command of the entire route tree. People who watched a lot of Watkins at Clemson knew that DCs played a pick your poison defense against him. In his freshman year he routinely burned tight coverage and DCs adjusted by laying well off and conceded underneath stuff, including screens. Can't say I blamed the DCs. Better to force Watkins to "earn" it after the catch vs. routinely giving up the long, quick strike they were hopeless to defend with any regularity.

GO BILLS!!!

Draftniks and then the common viewers who took to youtube after the trade up to watch his highlight videos and subsequently comment that half of his highlights were screens that won't work in the NFL. Or that he was always wide open....I guess that means bad opponents? I am not sure people truly appreciate what Watkins can do.

Of course you have the correct response to that line of thought!

Draftniks and then the common viewers who took to youtube after the trade up to watch his highlight videos and subsequently comment that half of his highlights were screens that won't work in the NFL. Or that he was always wide open....I guess that means bad opponents? I am not sure people truly appreciate what Watkins can do.

I think very few people appreciate just how phenomenal he was the 2nd half of 2015....these 2 articles give some perspective:

http://nysportsbiz.com/2016/01/04/sammy-watkins-arguably-nfls-top-wr-2nd-half-season/

http://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-adam-harstad-on-sammy-watkins/

It's easy to come away with that impression if all anyone sees are the highlights of his 2013 college season. He was constantly afforded big cushions for the reasons I've already noted. If you can find highlights from his freshman year in 2011, it's plain as day that DCs made a switch.

The NFL scouting community dissected every route he ever ran in college, and then had him run the route tree at workouts before the draft. My only point is that NFL folks were never concerned about his ability to run every route. Not ever.

GO BILLS!!!

It's easy to come away with that impression if all anyone sees are the highlights of his 2013 college season. He was constantly afforded big cushions for the reasons I've already noted. If you can find highlights from his freshman year in 2011, it's plain as day that DCs made a switch.

The NFL scouting community dissected every route he ever ran in college, and then had him run the route tree at workouts before the draft. My only point is that NFL folks were never concerned about his ability to run every route. Not ever.

GO BILLS!!!

One such evaluation:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1949347-sammy-watkins-breaking-down-film-on-top-wr-draft-prospect

This is great. I hope we can get a lot more threads like this. Really interesting analysis, and subsequent thread discussion. Thanks, TurnerE.

Thanks! You might like this Sammy video breakdown then lol. If it doesn't play in this browser open in YouTube.

Thanks! You might like this Sammy video breakdown then lol. If it doesn't play in this browser open in YouTube.

GREAT stuff here, TurnerE. Quality work. Please post more.

GO BILLS!!!

Right on- i want to see him to get three times that number of touches. This is the guy that should be getting the ball til he pukes

Hi Litel Nate !

Honestly I think we ALL expected Watkins to repeat his college style and YAC. Another reason i loathe that Marrooney fella.

Watch this year for some of the plays we were wishing Sammies first year.

It only takes one or two a game to affect the Defense

: )

No the safety was suppose to drop down as a robber. He didnt drop down because of the route. Did the route hold him? Yes, but it was intended, just look at the other safety post snap he immediately gets to the middle of the field. This is an easy read for TT if middle of the field closed (MOFC-single high safety) take the deep shot, if MOFO-middle of the field open(two high safeties) get it to Hogan on the crossing route as it is one on one coverage.

:wacko:

I don't understand any of this but I do know that MOFO was open. :D

Right - my point is that they'll need to replace Hogan with someone who runs precise routes with the right depths, it seems important to what they're trying to do with Sammy.

Precisely one yard short of the marker.

Not sure what you mean by handler? I handle things as best I can, though.

GO BILLS!!!

I see ur handle is k-9 wasn't sure if u were a law enforcement k9.

:wacko:

I don't understand any of this but I do know that MOFO was open. :D

Bahhahahahahahha. It's just what Qbs are taught to look for pre and post snap lol.