Baylor fires Art Briles

Disturbing, but not surprising that some spoiled Texas girls hold their family's power and status more important than the well being of strangers.

This is the state that gave us Ethan Couch.

Common man there's idiots everywhere.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree

It's a little odd that no one ever raised their hand and said, "Why is all of this talent going to a historically bad program in Waco, Texas?" It's not exactly Southern California. They just carried on and kept adding all of this talent until it blew up.

It's a little odd that no one ever asked "Why hasn't Baylor reported a single sexual assault to the federal government in OVER 40 YEARS?"

Not a one! Every campus has their incidents, we're talking college aged kids here. But apparently not at Baylor.

Common man there's idiots everywhere.

Certainly there are. But when we're talking Football, Status, and "Taking care of your own", Texas leads the way.

Edited by DrDareustein

I strongly disagree. His concepts can be found all over the current NFL. He is absolutely one of, if not THE, founding father. Teams may shy away from him because of the off the field stuff but NOBODY is shying away from his football acumen.

yes concepts but the single read and chuck it offense will never work, which is why all their QBs suck in the NFL.

These days it seems as if no one has any sense of shame.

people protect their families right or wrong

yes concepts but the single read and chuck it offense will never work, which is why all their QBs suck in the NFL.

His WR have translated just fine with a limited route tree (see Gordon, Josh). His offensive scheme is incredible which is why they put points up on everyone. He is one of the true innovators of 2016 football. The problem is that there are MANY, MANY skeletons in that closet. I promise the NFL will not shy away from his offense.

His WR have translated just fine with a limited route tree (see Gordon, Josh). His offensive scheme is incredible which is why they put points up on everyone. He is one of the true innovators of 2016 football. The problem is that there are MANY, MANY skeletons in that closet. I promise the NFL will not shy away from his offense.

WRs are different, also it retards the progress of Olineman and pass blocking for RBs.

I used to think the spread would take over but it hasn't because it's to easy to defend in the NFL, it's like the triple option which can and has worked in college but not in the NFL.

You like the system which is fine but for me until it's proven to work in the NFL I'm not interested.

WRs are different, also it retards the progress of Olineman and pass blocking for RBs.

I used to think the spread would take over but it hasn't because it's to easy to defend in the NFL, it's like the triple option which can and has worked in college but not in the NFL.

You like the system which is fine but for me until it's proven to work in the NFL I'm not interested.

And we all know you are the resident qb guru. ;)

His concepts are all over the league though. When you hear things like "it's a passing league" that comes from his influence. I'm not saying that it will 100% work but I'm positive that someone is going to be enamored with his results. He gets guys open and scores points.

His concepts are all over the league though. When you hear things like "it's a passing league" that comes from his influence. I'm not saying that it will 100% work but I'm positive that someone is going to be enamored with his results. He gets guys open and scores points.

Besides RG3, his Qbs have been like 2 star recruit. It's one of the reasons I hated Petty last year. His Qbs are interchangeable yet that team always put up points.

I think it's crazy to think he won't be highly successful with NFL level talent Qbs.

Besides RG3, his Qbs have been like 2 star recruit. It's one of the reasons I hated Petty last year. His Qbs are interchangeable yet that team always put up points.

I think it's crazy to think he won't be highly successful with NFL level talent Qbs.

Exactly

He has sent 4 QBs (off the top of my head) to the NFL in the last decade. Who else has done that? It's not a long list.

The spread basically started with Rich Rodriguez. The rise of the passing game was heavily influenced by Briles.

I believe that he turned out Kolb, Keenum, RG3 and Bryce Petty. That's not a bad run for the 13 years that he coached college (or whatever it was). In addition he turned out Donnie Avery, Kendall Wright, Josh Gordon, Terrance Williams and Corey Coleman as WR. I would say that is a pretty good list over the last decade of who he has turned out. 4 NFL QBs and 5 NFL WR with 3 being first rounders (which doesn't include Gordon) is impressive.

He took a perennial bottom feeder and won 50 games in 5 years. He may be a bad human being but as a football coach he is outstanding.

people protect their families right or wrong

As BB says, his college boy offense has rendered his undergrad QBs useless out of college. No one is running his single read offense.

The NFL became a passing league a generation ago. It has nothing to do with Art Briles. Every team desperate for their next HC the past 2 years has not been enamored with him or his results running a passing game that wasn't even a top 20 FBS.

As BB says, his college boy offense has rendered his undergrad QBs useless out of college. No one is running his single read offense.

The NFL became a passing league a generation ago. It has nothing to do with Art Briles. Every team desperate for their next HC the past 2 years has not been enamored with him or his results running a passing game that wasn't even a top 20 FBS.

He had a HC job at a shady private power 5 school. He was making $6M plus (that we knew about). http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/04/29/baylor-coach-art-briles-made-53-million-base-pay-2014/83720652/ That would have put him in the top 8 in the NFL and again that is without factoring whatever other "benefits" he was getting at Baylor. That program was clearly not playing by the rules. There's a VERY good chance that he was making a large sum of money outside of his salary.

It's entirely plausible that Briles preferred to stay in Texas at Baylor. Urban Meyer's name never comes up either but that doesn't mean it's because he can't coach there. College Football at elite levels is not considered inferior in many parts of the country. That is certainly the case in the south. We will see if he gets a job now but to think that people aren't interested in his offense is incredibly naive.

Speaking of his offense, here's an older article breaking it down:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/5/22/4351446/Baylor-bears-football-art-briles-lache-seastrunk-spread-offense. Briles the person is so different from Briles the football coach. As 26 said he may be too toxic at the moment but in the not too distant future the teams will come knocking. They'll have to sell the fan base so it probably has to be a strong organization. At any rate, it will all play out in the next few years.

Patriots :devil::devil: :devil: :devil:

I think that Briles is a phenomenal football coach (one of the best in the world). He seems like a "good ole' boy" too but clearly he wasn't running a very clean program.

No way, he wins with scheme and by how fast and how many plays can be run in a game, how'd that work for Chip Kelly in Philly. Briles is nowhere near as good as Urban Meyer, Lou Saban, Mike Dantonio, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher and there are others I can't think of right now.

Edited by old school

Certainly there are. But when we're talking Football, Status, and "Taking care of your own", Texas leads the way.

Mississippi & Pennsylvania, off the top of my head, say "hi!"

Off the topic a bit, but isn't it ironic that Ken Starr, the caped crusader investigating the White House sexcapades, lost his job because of a sex scandal at Baylor?

He's a scheduled speaker at some conference later this year. His topic is Title 9. Wonder how quickly that invite gets pulled?

No way, he wins with scheme and by how fast and how many plays can be run in a game, how'd that work for Chip Kelly in Philly. Briles is nowhere near as good as Urban Meyer, Lou Saban, Mike Dantonio, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher and there are others I can't think of right now.

I said that he's one of the best football coaches in the world and you responded with, "no way he wins with scheme."

Urban Meyer? You mean that guy who wasted the most talented roster in the country in 2015?