Bills have new media reporting guidelines

At first I was pretty ambivalent about this new policy. But now that I see how many of the media chuckleheads and posters here have their knickers in a twist over it, I'm beginning to like it more and more.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it in a forum last week about someone's suggestion the team isn't transparent enough and I mentioned the media and then this buffoon wrote this today. No one has the right to access information from a private corporation, including the Bills. Buying a ticket or having a business card that says "reporter" (using the term loosely in this era of whiny opinionators) gives you zero rights to the teams information, practices, etc. There is no law that permits it, Freedom of Information doesn't apply. If you don't agree with it, don't buy a ticket, don't be a fan. It's really that simple. And if Yucky doesn't like it, have the news stop covering them. Oh wait, they won't, they'll just B word about this perceived injustice about something they have no claim to.

Man, it's sports people. Who really cares about what the team says, what happens in practice, and what the media says. You'll find it better as a fan to just watch for almost 4 hours in Sunday.

Said it in a forum last week about someone's suggestion the team isn't transparent enough and I mentioned the media and then this buffoon wrote this today. No one has the right to access information from a private corporation, including the Bills. Buying a ticket or having a business card that says "reporter" (using the term loosely in this era of whiny opinionators) gives you zero rights to the teams information, practices, etc. There is no law that permits it, Freedom of Information doesn't apply. If you don't agree with it, don't buy a ticket, don't be a fan. It's really that simple. And if Yucky doesn't like it, have the news stop covering them. Oh wait, they won't, they'll just B word about this perceived injustice about something they have no claim to.

Man, it's sports people. Who really cares about what the team says, what happens in practice, and what the media says. You'll find it better as a fan to just watch for almost 4 hours in Sunday.

except in this case, this private corporation is subsidized by taxpayers. perhaps if the billionaires no longer asked the public to pay for their stadiums your point would be stronger.

If we get little to no information on the Bills on the field then fans will stop paying attention. Hard enough following this team with 16 years of mediocrity. As it is now I bought the MLB package and will enjoy the Red Sox till October. The Bills need to compete for me with the best show in baseball. As I see it the Bills are making it much easier for me to FORGET about them. Very sad PR, I don't go to the Official Bills website because it is a cheer leading squad. I all ready decided not to buy the NFL package this year and just catch what I can from Network TV. I read articles on the Bills but if the articles say nothing then I have no reason to do that. The Bills are becoming a non-arguable event that just really doesn't matter anymore. OUT!

except in this case, this private corporation is subsidized by taxpayers. perhaps if the billionaires no longer asked the public to pay for their stadiums your point would be stronger.

This is true of most businesses. States and regions compete as the home of business. Boeing who opened a factory in my area won't be paying taxes for decades and was given free land and other tax incentives is not opening up its doors for the public or media, nor is anyone asking it to. Subsides and tax brakes are, however, a completely different issue from "media" access.

Edited by Steve Billieve

Well there's another bizaree take.

If you invite the press to your live event, you can't tell them what not to report on. It kind of goes against the concept of , you know, a free press.

If you want to prevent only the reporters from describing the events they see (they can't stop you and I from reporting on it), then just trot out "Bills Senior Reporter Chris Brown" out there to post sunshine and unicrn sightings on the Bills official website.

It would make more sense to close practices to the press than to dictate what they report. But if you bar the press without barring the public, then you are clearly just punishing the press. it's petty.

Well there's another bizaree take.

If you invite the press to your live event, you can't tell them what not to report on. It kind of goes against the concept of , you know, a free press.

If you want to prevent only the reporters from describing the events they see (they can't stop you and I from reporting on it), then just trot out "Bills Senior Reporter Chris Brown" out there to post sunshine and unicrn sightings on the Bills official website.

It would make more sense to close practices to the press than to dictate what they report. But if you bar the press without barring the public, then you are clearly just punishing the press. it's petty.

The "free press" are abusing their right to get more clicks on their articles......

This is true of most businesses. States and regions compete as the home of business. Boeing who opened a factory in my area won't be paying taxes for decades and was given free land and other tax incentives is not opening up its doors for the public or media, nor is anyone asking it to. Subsides and tax brakes are, however, a completely different issue from "media" access.

the obvious difference of course being the impact on good paying jobs created for everyday folk from subsidies to boeing versus the bills. but hey, we get a perennial loser to cheer for as a result all that money!

How are they abusing this right to report what they see? Be specific.

Here is my take

Before this year....they absolutely had the right to report what they see....

EXACTLY what they see.....

Not make like they are armchair GM's and decipher how well a player is doing on a good day or bad day.

Did you not notice how much guys like Rodent were doing that last year? Play by play stuff is pretty cool and actually kind of fun for the fans.....however that is NOT how it was always done....

"This player had a good practice"

"THis player had a bad practice"

It makes like they are some kind of authority on what is going on in a given play? How do we know that the WR didnt run the right route (for example) a journalist is NOT going to know that on a given play?

Stick to reporting what you actually saw and I have no problem with it.....

Here is my take

Before this year....they absolutely had the right to report what they see....

EXACTLY what they see.....

Not make like they are armchair GM's and decipher how well a player is doing on a good day or bad day.

Did you not notice how much guys like Rodent were doing that last year? Play by play stuff is pretty cool and actually kind of fun for the fans.....however that is NOT how it was always done....

"This player had a good practice"

"THis player had a bad practice"

It makes like they are some kind of authority on what is going on in a given play? How do we know that the WR didnt run the right route (for example) a journalist is NOT going to know that on a given play?

Stick to reporting what you actually saw and I have no problem with it.....

When have sideline reporters not done reported drops, bad throws, fumbles, etc? It didn't start last year. And why would you not want to know this? Why would you want the Bills to control what you read--why can't they let you decide whether reporting an overthrown ball reveals some dark reporter bias that you can then ignore?

What is the team afraid will happen? It makes no sense at all, except as a clumsy effort to assert control over a small, specific group of individuals (and not others) who would report their observations on the internet.

Why is it OK to invite the press and then censor what they report---in any scenario as inconsequential as a sports practice?

When have sideline reporters not done reported drops, bad throws, fumbles, etc? It didn't start last year. And why would you not want to know this? Why would you want the Bills to control what you read--why can't they let you decide whether reporting an overthrown ball reveals some dark reporter bias that you can then ignore?

What is the team afraid will happen? It makes no sense at all, except as a clumsy effort to assert control over a small, specific group of individuals (and not others) who would report their observations on the internet.

Why is it OK to invite the press and then censor what they report---in any scenario as inconsequential as a sports practice?

WEO,

Go back and take a look at how it was reported last year......the depth of the thing was incredible (which I actually loved)

but then they had to take that one step further and try to tell the fans who had good days and bad days without having the knowledge of football in doing so. For instance....who is Rodent to try to tell me who had a good day and how had a bad day...in what way is he qualified to do that?

All I have to say about the local media coverage of last season's OTAs and TC is this -- if you took their tweets of what was happening on the practice field at face value, Matt Cassel would have been the starting QB of the 2015 Buffalo Bills.

I think the Bills' policy is probably overreaching and was communicated poorly. I also don't really care. I'll continue to follow the reporters I respect (Wawrow, Dunne) and ignore those I don't.

All I have to say about the local media coverage of last season's OTAs and TC is this -- if you took their tweets of what was happening on the practice field at face value, Matt Cassel would have been the starting QB of the 2015 Buffalo Bills.

I think the Bills' policy is probably overreaching and was communicated poorly. I also don't really care. I'll continue to follow the reporters I respect (Wawrow, Dunne) and ignore those I don't.

That's really the juice in the fruit, if your giving the media access then let them do their job and let the fans decide who they get their information from. No need to play big brother and limit what's said, the fans are smart they know who is worth reading or listening too.

You mean like this?

"Matt Cassel may end up the starting quarterback in week one when Buffalo takes on Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts at Ralph Wilson Stadium. If he gets the gig, it will be almost by default.

So far, Cassel has done nothing to command the job but also has done nothing to completely lose it. He's calm in the pocket and shows the poise you would expect from an 11-year NFL veteran. His deep ball flutters, but it gets there."

And this:

"Reports from Pittsford since training camp began on July 31 have been dreadful when it comes to the quarterback play.

While certainly trusting the astute reporting of many of my colleagues, much like the kids in the movie "Stand by Me" who sought out the dead body of Ray Brower, I had to see this awful quarterback play for myself.

Yep, it's that bad."

"Matt Cassel had the worst minicamp of the trio, but practiced along the same level as Manuel on Friday."

"The Buffalo Bills have been waiting for one player at quarterback to show enough consistency and be the best player, day after day. They still don’t have that, but the slow-and-steady-wins-the-race style of Matt Cassel shot ahead on Monday...at the moment."

"Observations: Cassel's stats are better than the other two quarterbacks but to my eye, he hasn't stood out above either of them. He'll miss throws in routes against unguarded receivers that you would expect a more experienced quarterback to hit. Most of his completions have come on check downs. Cassel improved Sunday and generally looks better than he did in the spring but that isn't saying much -- he still has been shaky."

Your memory betrays you.

Lets take this sample size then

You mean like this?

"Matt Cassel may end up the starting quarterback in week one when Buffalo takes on Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts at Ralph Wilson Stadium. If he gets the gig, it will be almost by default.

So far, Cassel has done nothing to command the job but also has done nothing to completely lose it. He's calm in the pocket and shows the poise you would expect from an 11-year NFL veteran. His deep ball flutters, but it gets there."

Where was the reporting of Tyrod Taylor? You know the guy that actually started the season? Cassell is the QB by default? Guess not.

And this:

"Reports from Pittsford since training camp began on July 31 have been dreadful when it comes to the quarterback play.

While certainly trusting the astute reporting of many of my colleagues, much like the kids in the movie "Stand by Me" who sought out the dead body of Ray Brower, I had to see this awful quarterback play for myself.

Yep, it's that bad."

I dont know what day this report was put out.....but one of our QBs went to the pro bowl.....and was in several top statistical catagories.....so he Tyrod was certainly not dreadful. Maybe the "colleagues" this reporter (whoever it was) were just as not astute at football as he was?

"Matt Cassel had the worst minicamp of the trio, but practiced along the same level as Manuel on Friday."

Which.....basically...is saying nothing?

"The Buffalo Bills have been waiting for one player at quarterback to show enough consistency and be the best player, day after day. They still don’t have that, but the slow-and-steady-wins-the-race style of Matt Cassel shot ahead on Monday...at the moment."

Still no mention of tyrod

"Observations: Cassel's stats are better than the other two quarterbacks but to my eye, he hasn't stood out above either of them. He'll miss throws in routes against unguarded receivers that you would expect a more experienced quarterback to hit. Most of his completions have come on check downs. Cassel improved Sunday and generally looks better than he did in the spring but that isn't saying much -- he still has been shaky."

I think what the poster you are responding to might be saying is that the reporters were not giving an accurate picture of what was going on in camp with these QBs.......was Tyrod really doing so badly and then when we actually started playing games started to shine? It usually doesnt work that way.

Your memory betrays you.

All the Bills wanted to do is have the reporters stop from doing the play by play of the drops and missed passes in the spring. And later they told the reporters as much.

To me it was a stupid request but this stupidity was the equivalent of many of these same reporters tweets of last year's spring and summer about missed passes and drops and the QB competition. The one guy who sucks at his job the most, IMO, is Berchold. The way he went about this was more dumb than the actual decision or rules or intent.