Bills have new media reporting guidelines

John, you're a gentleman, scholar and credit to your profession. While I stand by my comments above that I enjoy seeing some members of the media tie themselves in knots over this new policy, I can tell you're not one of them. The fact that you wallow around with fans on message boards shows you take different approach.

While we do voraciously devour this information as fans, there is something to be said for the sober, big-picture analysis at the end of the day. The anti-24 hour news cycle if you will. Distill it all down for me after practice is over; I don't need to eye social media breathlessly each time EJ sails a pass into the noggin of some corporate sponsor's mother-in-law.

I wonder if objections from some of your media compadres are rooted in their annoyance that they can't simply "report" on Twitter all practice long, and now must figure out how to write that big-picture piece instead of just doing math and reporting that "Welp, so and so sure had a bad day."

thanks for the response. and kind words.

i can say this, whether it's live tweeting or trying to put the day into perspective in a story post-practice, the rules have the potential of limiting what we can report.

(the Bills note that we can write about interceptions/dropped passes now, but simply don't want a string of play-by-play, and yet they have not altered the actual verbiage of their policy).

on paper, i would be prevented from summing up how the receivers did. though i don't keep a play-by-play log, i do jot down positive and negative plays that i might want to include in my story. as it stands by the exact wording of the policy, i would only be allowed to write Player X caught a deep pass by getting a step ahead of a defender. i wouldn't, however, be able to report, Player X dropped a pass while wide-open, and then had the next one go through his hands while cutting across the middle, and if that trend continued in following sessions.

sure, it's one practice but it's what i see.

it might not matter if it's an undrafted rookie. it might matter more if it's, say, Robert Woods.

jw

I haven't gone through the whole tread, but found this stuff this morning.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/735840853214658561

Here's a picture of the Patriots guidelines.

CjY5hmmVAAAZaLL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjY5hmmVAAAZaLL.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the Bills are not the only team that implement similar rules. Maybe it's purely paranoia and unnecessary, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. The team spends millions and millions of dollars to create a winning product. If they don't want to show anyone anything besides the team on Sundays, that's their right IMO. It would suck, but I would understand.

here's the distinction: the Bills rules go one step further in restricting the media from reporting on interceptions and dropped passes (which aren't noted in this policy). that's a big, big distinction.

jw

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's the distinction: the Bills rules go one step further in restricting the media from reporting on interceptions and dropped passes (which aren't noted in this policy). that's a big, big distinction.

jw

Do you think that was based on last years hysteria? I remember constant reporting on twitter for the QB competition. The hysteria comes in when the general public overreacts to what they are hearing. It just wasn't necessary, and it looks as though that is what they were confronting. They didn't want that this year, especially if Tyrod misses a few guys in practice.

Edited by What a Tuel

Do you think that was based on last years hysteria? I remember constant reporting on twitter for the QB competition. The hysteria comes in when the general public overreacts to what they are hearing. It just wasn't necessary, and it looks as though that is what they were confronting. They didn't want that this year, especially if Tyrod misses a few guys in practice.

i vaguely remember Eric Wood being kind of bitter that they were reporting that he was getting beat a lot and making a big deal about it. He actually talked about it on WGR not that long ago and said that he was working on some techniques in practice and that was the goal but it was reported otherwise with fans reacting that he sucked, etc. This was from TC and not OTAs I believe, but, his point was that fans sometimes latch onto whatever they see on Twitter as fact when sometimes it's not accurate based on what the writer does or does not know about the play. Edited by YoloinOhio

i'm not sure.

i'm also not sure how what's tweeted or reported affects a player's performance. are kid gloves really necessary at this level?

i do know that marrone, in his second season, banned the team's own website folks from reporting on or showing any footage of any interceptions that EJ threw. obviously, you can see how that worked.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

I find it funny we even discuss this. Who ever believed the Media anyway??

the better question is "who ever believed the bills public relations bs anyway??" and the answer is 10's of thousands of fans per year and probably 100's of thousands over the history of the team.

the next question is: "why would anyone believe the reporting of a vested interest over that of a journalist whose long term career is dependent on his/her reader's trust?

got me. best I can come up with is wishful thinking that the pr is true.

i vaguely remember Eric Wood being kind of bitter that they were reporting that he was getting beat a lot and making a big deal about it. He actually talked about it on WGR not that long ago and said that he was working on some techniques in practice and that was the goal but it was reported otherwise with fans reacting that he sucked, etc. This was from TC and not OTAs I believe, but, his point was that fans sometimes latch onto whatever they see on Twitter as fact when sometimes it's not accurate based on what the writer does or does not know about the play.

Yeah, one might say well Eric Wood shouldn't let this affect him, he is a professional. I guess, but what is the value in the reporting though?

i'm not sure.

i'm also not sure how what's tweeted or reported affects a player's performance. are kid gloves really necessary at this level?

i do know that marrone, in his second season, banned the team's own website folks from reporting on or showing any footage of any interceptions that EJ threw. obviously, you can see how that worked.

jw

With our rabid fanbase? I think so. It isn't coddling so much that it is allowing these guys to practice how they can with coaches, and as Yolo said, try new techniques. They are humans. The constant bashing on twitter, and social media in general has to affect them especially rookies. Even if they should learn to ignore it, I don't see the positive side of reporting play by play's in practice.

If you want to write up an article critiquing the players based on your observations great, but the twitter updates are like a barrage of hits to the fan base just over and over again when so much emphasis should not be placed on what happens in practice. I know the twitter updates last year had me pretty convinced that the QB situation was hopeless.

Maybe I'm way off base, who knows.

the better question is "who ever believed the bills public relations bs anyway??" and the answer is 10's of thousands of fans per year and probably 100's of thousands over the history of the team.

the next question is: "why would anyone believe the reporting of a vested interest over that of a journalist whose long term career is dependent on his/her reader's trust?

this.

Yeah, one might say well Eric Wood shouldn't let this affect him, he is a professional. I guess, but what is the value in the reporting though?

With our rabid fanbase? I think so. It isn't coddling so much that it is allowing these guys to practice how they can with coaches, and as Yolo said, try new techniques. They are humans. The constant bashing on twitter, and social media in general has to affect them especially rookies. Even if they should learn to ignore it, I don't see the positive side of reporting play by play's in practice.

If you want to write up an article critiquing the players based on your observations great, but the twitter updates are like a barrage of hits to the fan base just over and over again when so much emphasis should not be placed on what happens in practice. I know the twitter updates last year had me pretty convinced that the QB situation was hopeless.

that's just it. the rules prevent us not only from tweeting, but also from reporting after practice.

jw

i agree they shouldn't pay attention to the practice reports or let it affect him, but if he has fans tweeting at him telling him he sucks because they read on Twitter that he does and all the guy is doing is trying to practice, I see his point. If it's a game, otoh, he needs to shake it off and play better. I've never seen him say anything other than that one time in TC. Edited by YoloinOhio

I would argue that the media no longer has a vested interest in their reader's trust because social media, and the internet has opened up the media to millions upon millions of customers who are inconsistent enough to not care about trust or accuracy, but about content they can digest.

Of course there are a few exceptions.

I would argue that the media no longer has a vested interest in their reader's trust because social media, and the internet has opened up the media to millions upon millions of customers who are inconsistent enough to not care about trust or accuracy, but about content they can digest.

Of course there are a few exceptions.

do you believe there is anywhere near an equal conflict of interests re this reporting by bills pr people and independent journalists?

do you believe there is anywhere near an equal conflict of interests re this reporting by bills pr people and independent journalists?

No, of course not, but I don't think the two are the same thing. Independent journalists don't have a conflict of interest with the team, they have a conflict of journalistic integrity, accuracy, and separating their opinion from reporting. Whereas the Bills PR department certainly puts some sort of spin on what they release to their benefit.

I don't think anyone wants a Bills only PR department with no outside reporting. Even the Bills. They seem to simply want to restrict the reporting of play by plays on social media, which I understand why. Twitter for example is a purely reactionary platform, and as I said before is a like a barrage of hits to the fan base, and undue emphasis is placed on a practice.

this.

that's just it. the rules prevent us not only from tweeting, but also from reporting after practice.

jw

But they lifted it on writing reports didn't they? But left the play by plays or social media updates restricted. Which to me seems to be precisely what they want to prevent. They just painted the policy in broad strokes.

No, of course not, but I don't think the two are the same thing. Independent journalists don't have a conflict of interest with the team, they have a conflict of journalistic integrity, accuracy, and separating their opinion from reporting. Whereas the Bills PR department certainly puts some sort of spin on what they release to their benefit.

I don't think anyone wants a Bills only PR department with no outside reporting. Even the Bills. They seem to simply want to restrict the reporting of play by plays on social media, which I understand why. Twitter for example is a purely reactionary platform, and as I said before is a like a barrage of hits to the fan base, and undue emphasis is placed on a practice.

But they lifted it on writing reports didn't they? But left the play by plays or social media updates restricted. Which to me seems to be precisely what they want to prevent. They just painted the policy in broad strokes.

"Lifted" verbally. They are still present in writing. And that remains an issue with my bosses and the PFWA.

jw

"Lifted" verbally. They are still present in writing. And that remains an issue with my bosses and the PFWA.

jw

I can see why you would have a problem with it then. Like others have said, it is nice to see a member of the media come down to the message board level and have a discussion with us! :beer:

i'm not sure.

jw

John, as a frequent user of Twitter you know exactly how this could negatively affect someone. Twitter has given every armchair QB the tools to berate anyone and everyone he chooses, without regard to accountability or repercussions. Those who act honorably on the platform do so because of their own character/integrity, not because they're afraid not to.

Fans are ruthless, stupid, emotional, stubborn...shall I go on? Yet they now have direct access to just about anyone. Who is to say which negative tweet finally pushes someone's buttons?

I think we should also dispense with the notion that all media members are noble in purpose and never have an axe to grind.

I go back and forth on the question of whether I wish Twitter was gone altogether.

i vaguely remember Eric Wood being kind of bitter that they were reporting that he was getting beat a lot and making a big deal about it. He actually talked about it on WGR not that long ago and said that he was working on some techniques in practice and that was the goal but it was reported otherwise with fans reacting that he sucked, etc. This was from TC and not OTAs I believe, but, his point was that fans sometimes latch onto whatever they see on Twitter as fact when sometimes it's not accurate based on what the writer does or does not know about the play.

Like that time Danny Shelton smashed him and we got to see it over and over again on a vine? I would have been embarrassed too.

i'm not sure.

jw

Your not the problem...its us

Fans take things the read on these twitters....form immediate gratification opinons.....and then extreme debates are on based on the limited information.

I mean christ its already started....our rooking corner Seymore gets praise from his HC and already our staring nickel corner is on the hot seat....FROM A SIXTH ROUND ROOKIE CORNER

now.....the next time you hear something its gonna be Seymore getting toasted left and right (which I expect....its a 6th round rookie) and the pendulum will swing dramatically the other way.