ads on jerseys

nucci

I don't get why this seems to be a big no-no for American sports fans. It's commonplace here.

Hell, some teams wouldn't survive in the lower leagues without sponsorship.

Tradition. History. And the fact they aren't "lower leagues" -- they're the pinnacle of American sports.

And, the ads look like crap. Case in point -- the Bills' practice jerseys.

I really don't mind the advertising for practice, but I really do wish they'd keep them off game uniforms.

Edit: and further -- while my jersey buying days are over, if I did buy one it's because I support the team/player, not whoever is paying them to peddle their product.

Edited by eball

Tradition. History. And the fact they aren't "lower leagues" -- they're the pinnacle of American sports.

And, the ads look like crap. Case in point -- the Bills' practice jerseys.

I really don't mind the advertising for practice, but I really do wish they'd keep them off game uniforms.

Edit: and further -- while my jersey buying days are over, if I did buy one it's because I support the team/player, not whoever is paying them to peddle their product.

I respect the sentiment, I really do. Quite frankly, some of the arguments I've seen against it are quite romantic. Sport has gradually sold its soul for the corporate dollar/pound and it's probably worse off from a fan perspective the more that has gone on.

It really became big business here with the rebranding of the Premier League. That was 1992, I was 3 at the time so I've not known it any other way. Manchester United make £53m a year just to carry the Chevrolet logo on their shirt. It's absurd.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Hilarious that such a supremely crappy team's first sponsor is the secondary ticket market.

It all speaks to the broader trend here with sports, which has devolved considerable from its initial purpose and intent. So a few things:

1. Sports is and has functioned as the place many escape to from their daily lives, which are filled with stress, bills, and the slow overtaking of this country by a culture of conspicuous consumption. Just say the South Park "ads episodes" last night. The joke was you can;t escape ads, even people are now ads. So true as we'll watch the NFL turns jerseys into billboards. Basically exactly what the NFL has become... a football game interrupting the sale of products and services. 3 hours games are not 3.5 hours. They'll be 4 soon.

2. The NFL today is a walking contradiction of the NFL of the past. Take gambling. They were adamant about being against it, said it tainted the sports, presented the potential for fixing and corruption, which by the way has happened in professional soccer in other countries were sports are legal. Now, they slowly are walking back this stance... why? Because they have found ways to profit from it, like daily sports gambling (anyone who calls Draft Kings a change of skill is a fool, read about the "skilled" players who use complicated mathematical models and still lose a ton. yes it;s skill in the model building but not a guarantee of reducing your luck significantly). So now, King Roger has walked back the NFL's stance on Las Vegas. Why? Again, profit to be made, even it if destroys the credibility he had or the league had in past crusades against gambling. It only portrays them as driven by greed and not and sporting principles. Full legal NFL gambling online will be coming, bank on it. It'll happen this way: the NFL will work behind the scenes with govt to legalize it while at the same time they'll develop the websites and companies to take the bets. So at the same time the govt rolls back the law, the NFL will announce these betting websites. Or the govt will grant only so many legal betting licenses, which will go to NFL-controlled entities.

3. The game day experience, now increasingly for the affluent supported by the taxpayers at large. For years cities were forking over millions for palace stadiums while the league enjoyed the right to black the games out to the local citizenry who paid for the stadium. I know there is a slice of the population who is fine with this but I'm not. If the Pegulas of the league want to reap billions in revenue from the power they have gained in legislative halls, then great. They get enough advantage there. But to get it by strong-arming localities for money to increase their profit margins? Hardly. Pegula is not a savior, he's a keen businessman who will squeeze us for every nickel he can, because he can. Some are emotionally attached to the Bills but disagree with corporate welfare and are now emotionally conflicted, that is hypocritical about it because they thing they love is dirty. I am not, I'm against corporate welfare no matter who gets it and how it supposedly benefits me. How's that solarcity subsidy looking right now for the $750M we spent to buy a factory and equipment for a company that has zero risk, we as NYers assume it all because we own everything? I think the justification we all use is a simple one: If everyone else gets a handout, the Bills should too. It's an easy cop out.

4. The NFL has no shame. None. I would steal an old lady's walker and sell it for scrap. Can you imagine ads on a Yankees' jersey? Sacrilege right? But I can laugh at the irony of a team with a racist nickname it has fought to keep doubling down with two middle fingers in the air and having an Indian Motorcycles logo on its jersey that comes with a press release about how it respects Native Americans, again missing the point that the term Indian was a mistake made when white men thought they landed in India and created a falsely racialized term that has stood the test of time while simultaneously speaking to collective ignorance.

I'm slowly walking away from the NFL. I now only watch the Bills, so I put my 3.5 hours a week into it and then I'm done. I long stopped watching pregame and post game TV. I don't listen to WGR55 unless I'm in the car with someone who is. I generally avoid the Buffalo News' coverage of the Bills. It's like Bill Burr said about religion... he slowly let go, like a player does with the rock in curling.... slowly release and watch it disappear farther and farther away. The end will come for me sooner rather than later because of stuff like this. People think you have to accept it. You don't have to accept anything. Attending or watching a game is growing harder every year with the ads and graphics and 150-decibel commercials in the stadium.

All for it!!! Use the revenue to susidize ticket prices so they are less expensive ? =)

It's not about giving you a subsidy. It's about the billionaires who control this business throwing a few more nickels and dimes on their pile of hoarded loot.

As I've posted here many times before, I can't believe this didn't happen in the NFL at least a decade ago or more.

Edited by Fadingpain

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

One day the NFL will die and this is the type of stuff that will kill it. They have the goose that laid the golden egg, and they will ruin it with greed by taking all the scraps that come along. This would be bad for the league in the long run, but I think the owners are too greedy to see the big picture.

Looks tacky and cheesey. Doesn't the NFL make enough money? Let's keep it classy

Everything about the at-game experience in all 4 big N. Americans sports is a constant reminder that you are there to make others wealthy. What's classy about it?

The on-TV NFL experience is so horribly broken up by the pursuit of the almighty dollar, it is almost impossible to watch a live game.

What the hell. Plaster them with sponsorship. Won't change a thing.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If you could get a large portion of fans to boycott one Super Bowl, it would save the league.

If it would make my gameday experience cheaper, I'm for it.

If they'd stop taking public money and building huge stadiums with it, I'm for it.

Manchester United gets 47 million pounds per year to have the Chevrolet logo on their jersey. Thats around 70 million dollars x 10 years. 700 million dollars would definitely help put a dent in stadium costs.

However it would never work this way. the NFL would revenue share the hell out of it, make your ticket more expensive somehow and then take your tax money to build a stadium so you have the privilege of watching the bills miss the playoffs annually.

Edited by dneveu

It all speaks to the broader trend here with sports, which has devolved considerable from its initial purpose and intent. So a few things:

1. Sports is and has functioned as the place many escape to from their daily lives, which are filled with stress, bills, and the slow overtaking of this country by a culture of conspicuous consumption. Just say the South Park "ads episodes" last night. The joke was you can;t escape ads, even people are now ads. So true as we'll watch the NFL turns jerseys into billboards. Basically exactly what the NFL has become... a football game interrupting the sale of products and services. 3 hours games are not 3.5 hours. They'll be 4 soon.

2. The NFL today is a walking contradiction of the NFL of the past. Take gambling. They were adamant about being against it, said it tainted the sports, presented the potential for fixing and corruption, which by the way has happened in professional soccer in other countries were sports are legal. Now, they slowly are walking back this stance... why? Because they have found ways to profit from it, like daily sports gambling (anyone who calls Draft Kings a change of skill is a fool, read about the "skilled" players who use complicated mathematical models and still lose a ton. yes it;s skill in the model building but not a guarantee of reducing your luck significantly). So now, King Roger has walked back the NFL's stance on Las Vegas. Why? Again, profit to be made, even it if destroys the credibility he had or the league had in past crusades against gambling. It only portrays them as driven by greed and not and sporting principles. Full legal NFL gambling online will be coming, bank on it. It'll happen this way: the NFL will work behind the scenes with govt to legalize it while at the same time they'll develop the websites and companies to take the bets. So at the same time the govt rolls back the law, the NFL will announce these betting websites. Or the govt will grant only so many legal betting licenses, which will go to NFL-controlled entities.

3. The game day experience, now increasingly for the affluent supported by the taxpayers at large. For years cities were forking over millions for palace stadiums while the league enjoyed the right to black the games out to the local citizenry who paid for the stadium. I know there is a slice of the population who is fine with this but I'm not. If the Pegulas of the league want to reap billions in revenue from the power they have gained in legislative halls, then great. They get enough advantage there. But to get it by strong-arming localities for money to increase their profit margins? Hardly. Pegula is not a savior, he's a keen businessman who will squeeze us for every nickel he can, because he can. Some are emotionally attached to the Bills but disagree with corporate welfare and are now emotionally conflicted, that is hypocritical about it because they thing they love is dirty. I am not, I'm against corporate welfare no matter who gets it and how it supposedly benefits me. How's that solarcity subsidy looking right now for the $750M we spent to buy a factory and equipment for a company that has zero risk, we as NYers assume it all because we own everything? I think the justification we all use is a simple one: If everyone else gets a handout, the Bills should too. It's an easy cop out.

4. The NFL has no shame. None. I would steal an old lady's walker and sell it for scrap. Can you imagine ads on a Yankees' jersey? Sacrilege right? But I can laugh at the irony of a team with a racist nickname it has fought to keep doubling down with two middle fingers in the air and having an Indian Motorcycles logo on its jersey that comes with a press release about how it respects Native Americans, again missing the point that the term Indian was a mistake made when white men thought they landed in India and created a falsely racialized term that has stood the test of time while simultaneously speaking to collective ignorance.

I'm slowly walking away from the NFL. I now only watch the Bills, so I put my 3.5 hours a week into it and then I'm done. I long stopped watching pregame and post game TV. I don't listen to WGR55 unless I'm in the car with someone who is. I generally avoid the Buffalo News' coverage of the Bills. It's like Bill Burr said about religion... he slowly let go, like a player does with the rock in curling.... slowly release and watch it disappear farther and farther away. The end will come for me sooner rather than later because of stuff like this. People think you have to accept it. You don't have to accept anything. Attending or watching a game is growing harder every year with the ads and graphics and 150-decibel commercials in the stadium.

At to point 1: The commercial time allotted in games has been negotiated by the NFL and the networks that bring you games to your flatscreen TV for free. It has been this way for decades.

Point 2: The NFL certainly is behind fantasy football--it increases the value of ad time on broadcasts and therefore increases the value of the TV contracts. They don't profit from Drafkings profits. "King Roger" has no meaningful input as to whether there is a team in Las Vegas (there was never a convincing or even cogent argument against it anyway)--it will be Terry and 23 or more other owners who will say it's just fine with them. Your take on the government granting the NFL gambling rights to the NFL in particular is just too goofy to respond to.

Point 3: what power has the league gained from legislative halls that other major sports have not?

Point 4: the NFL didn't "miss the point"--I just pretty sure that they did not get involved with mis-naming Native Americans "Indians" and don't feel it's their job to change that. You clearly missed the point that they are called the Washington "Redskins", not the "Indians" and the derogatory name would have existed even if "Indian" never did.

Your last paragraph gets all the extra points for pure ranting lunacy.

Stepping slowly away.........indeed.

It's not about giving you a subsidy. It's about the billionaires who control this business throwing a few more nickels and dimes on their pile of hoarded loot.

As I've posted here many times before, I can't believe this didn't happen in the NFL at least a decade ago or more.

And yet...it hasn't. How do you therefore explain this?

I love this kind of logic: the owners are so greedy that they have ignored the easiest way possible to make money (ads on jerseys)!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-ads-jerseys-advertisements-nba-76ers-stubhub-051616

There's no sanctity to the sports jersey. Wearing Apple's apple won't somehow besmirch the game of football any more than Tom Brady has. "But it'll look tacky," a grown man dressed in the football jersey of a team for which he doesn't play says without irony.

I hope many years down the road cheating in football will be as represented by Tom Brady and the Pats* as Chicago White Sox is to cheating for baseball.

At to point 1: The commercial time allotted in games has been negotiated by the NFL and the networks that bring you games to your flatscreen TV for free. It has been this way for decades.

Point 2: The NFL certainly is behind fantasy football--it increases the value of ad time on broadcasts and therefore increases the value of the TV contracts. They don't profit from Drafkings profits. "King Roger" has no meaningful input as to whether there is a team in Las Vegas (there was never a convincing or even cogent argument against it anyway)--it will be Terry and 23 or more other owners who will say it's just fine with them. Your take on the government granting the NFL gambling rights to the NFL in particular is just too goofy to respond to.

Point 3: what power has the league gained from legislative halls that other major sports have not?

Point 4: the NFL didn't "miss the point"--I just pretty sure that they did not get involved with mis-naming Native Americans "Indians" and don't feel it's their job to change that. You clearly missed the point that they are called the Washington "Redskins", not the "Indians" and the derogatory name would have existed even if "Indian" never did.

Your last paragraph gets all the extra points for pure ranting lunacy.

Stepping slowly away.........indeed.

And yet...it hasn't. How do you therefore explain this?

I love this kind of logic: the owners are so greedy that they have ignored the easiest way possible to make money (ads on jerseys)!

You think it hasn't happened b/c the owners respect the "sanctity of the uniform" or some such nonsense?

The idiots probably didn't think of it yet. Your typical NFL owner doesn't strike me as being tuned into progressive European approaches to anything, including professional sports revenue streams.

Have you ever seen these guys?